...life can be translucent

Menu

Installing Journal v1.4 over old version deletes all database entries

alan_sp

visitor
Reaction score
This is a warning for all who would like to download and install Resonance Journal v1.4 over previously installed version.

I downloaded latest version from this link: http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/journal/download.php

This is demo version, but I thought it would be clever enough to recognize already existing database and not overwrite it. Well, it didn't.

I lost all my entries, including registration key. Registration key I have stored, but I obviously was foolish enough not to make backup of my entries.

Anyone who would try to update own version of Resonance Journal to v1.4 need to install it in different directory, or make backup of entries (and registration key, if backup of DB doesn't include it) and restore it afterwards.

Please post this info for other people, not to make same error I just made.

And if Justin could include some routine that checks if DB already exists and if exists, either to keep it, or offer backup prior to overwriting it with message that backup is necessary if we want to keep our entries.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this! and I'm sorry to hear about the lost entries.

If you already have the software installed, you need to run the updater program available here:
http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/journal/updater.php

I linked to that from the blog post and the news page and in the email I sent to existing owners, so I didn't think anyone could hear about the update without also hearing about the updater. I was wrong. Where do I need to add the link to make sure this doesn't happen again? On the download page?

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Correction - I did not link to the updater from the blog post. Stupid of me. Sorry.

alan_sp

visitor
Reaction score
Yes, in email there wasn't info about updater.

I would also add info about updater on download page, before download link with note that if we already have Journal installed, we have to use updater if we want our DB kept, or to make backup of DB before using full version installer.

It should be visible enough, so others avoid same mistake I did.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).