...life can be translucent

Menu

old updater defunct ?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I tried the instructions to update here http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/journal/updater.php nothing on there acts like it's meant to I mean, 'save target as' does not give me option to run..

but I already have an updater icon on my desk top from last update so maybe that still updates till the next update ? I doubt it as I think we were advised to delete it after last update.

I went ahead and clicked 'run' where I found it but then nothing ??? Going to old updater icon it says I'm already updated but I guess that's probably the old update.

How hard can it be Lisa ?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I have successfully updated apparently except what is updated is on some version of it with no entries so I suppose what I'm doing wrong is not applying the update to the actual Resonance journal I use as I think I downloaded it about 10 times. Unless I am meant to transfer all my entries ?

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
No, that's the whole point of the updater, to update your actual journal, with entries.

Yes, the old updater is defunct. It took you to 1.3; the new one takes you to 1.41. Uninstall the old one, download the new one and install it (ie run the program you downloaded, which will install the updater.)

And yes, then when you run the updater you do have to tell it where your journal is. If you're having problems with that but have a taskbar or desktop shortcut to your real journal - the one with entries in - then I could walk you through getting the location from that...?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I did it by myself...at least I know it's different because it has 'random entries' under the entry button which must be a sign it's different.

I'm so terribly clever :cool: did it all by myself....I think

I must be a hoarder because I find it difficult to uninstall the updater 3 desktop picture....I mean what if I need it in future.

In further updates Justin could add some colours as it's terribly monochrome and also I'd be sure I'd updated the thing. Like update 4.2 could be orange update 4.3 pink and so on...with new features in colour

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
..........on the email

– if you have a lot of entries, you’ll notice the difference when running searches – and has some nice little additions to its general user-friendliness, like the way the entry tree automatically opens to the current entry when you switch there from list view.

when I go to entry tree there's nothing there at all. Is that normal ?

All I have ever put in this thing is I Ching readings which show on the list, there's about a thousand of them. I don't know what the entry tree is for but I am supposing it isn't for readings ?

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, if you have the 'random entry' option then you've upgraded successfully.

If there are entries in the default list view then I don't see how they can fail to appear in the entry tree view. This is entirely beyond me, I'm afraid; time to open a helpdesk ticket and ask Justin.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
It's okay I see it all now. Never knew there was anything there. It just gives your journal entries in the same order as on the entry list.

Crossed posts.....I just hadn't opened the entry tree boxes properly as I'd never used it before.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
For anyone who hasn't bought this yet there are very clear guidelines on how to use it included but I just hate reading instructions that's why I don't know anything.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah, so you haven't managed to create a brand new and unique bug. Thank goodness for that. (And thank you for your kind words about the guidelines - they're my first attempt at writing a user manual.)

The new thing now is that if you select an entry in list view and then switch to 'entry tree' you'll see the same entry selected there. This is handy if you use sub-entries (for a set of decision readings, or a dream and a reading about the dream, that kind of thing), as you're automatically seeing them in context.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I expect I will be discovering new features of the Resonance Journal well into my 90s. That's what happens when you don't read user manuals, it all comes as a great surprise and bonus when things are discovered.

I didn't look at my car manual when I got it and it's almost a similar experience. The other day I found someone had folded my wing mirrors in so they wouldn't get hit. I had no idea my wing mirrors even would fold in, I've never had a car with that feature before.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Folding wing mirrors? Can I have those, please? Mine are on a hinge, so they'll bend if I (gently) bump into something, but the hinge won't fold and stay folded.

---

Hilary, I wonder if what's out there right now could be patched up, to try tp avoid anyone else having problems like Alan_sp's.

Do you think something along these lines might work, and be relatively quick to do?

Under the Journal Software tab in the menu, keep only the "Download" menu link. (That's where the link in your blog article goes, I think?)

Take the "Upgrade" link out of the menu. Keep the page itself; just take it out of the menu.

At the top of the "Download" page, display and link to the various options: "To download a free trial version...", "To buy a license..." , "To update your current licensed copy..."

(Something like that - whatever options/wording make sense.)

Those links could lead to wherever - another spot on that same "Download" page; the "Upgrade" page you removed from the menu; directly to the JournalUpdater.exe file as you emailed to current users...

But then when you're announcing new versions, you could provide one link to everyone. You wouldn't have to worry about which link is in which communication, and things would also be more clear for people who manage to overlook everything else and just see the menu.

Also - for future versions - could the installers/updaters be made to clean up after themselves (e.g. remove the shortcut icon from people's desktops), so people don't have to worry about it and won't be able to run old things over again?

And I think Alan_sp's idea was excellent, to have the installation procedures check for things which shouldn't be, such as installing something that will overwrite their existing entries.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Lisa, the 'upgrade' link is to order the software. I certainly do want a visible link to that, but it seems clear I need to call it something else. I think you suggested 'download trial' and 'full version'. And the updater for existing installations, or at least a link to it, simply needs to be on the download page. (I could do some menu-editing now, that's a good use of the tail end of a day...)

Alan - the only difference is that a minor bug in 1.4 interferes with the import from text templates, and this is fixed in 1.41. Unless you use that feature, there's no need to re-download.

alan_sp

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks, at the moment I don't need to use text templates, so I don't need 1.41.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).