...life can be translucent

Menu
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jiao Shi Yi Lin (Forest of Changes) Translation Available

Mentioned
    134 Post(s)

Createspace's cheapest rate for shipping to the UK is $4.88 - but that's the version delivered by absent-minded lobster, and would arrive on 27th July. So I ordered from Amazon UK - looking forward to its arrival!

Let us know any time you do talks outside Second Life - how about Google Hangouts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hilary View Post
    Createspace's cheapest rate for shipping to the UK is $4.88 - but that's the version delivered by absent-minded lobster, and would arrive on 27th July. So I ordered from Amazon UK - looking forward to its arrival!

Let us know any time you do talks outside Second Life - how about Google Hangouts?
    Oh, that's great,Hilary, thanks! Yes, the Createspace people have no plant in Europe, so they print them in the depth of some Carolinian swamp and send them on turtleback across the Atlantic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It seems that after signing up to Createspace you have to give all your personal details before getting a shipping quote.
    Actually the shipping quote at Amazon.com is cheap. $7.37 international.
    ($0.00 for the whole transaction if I sign up for an Amazon loyalty visa card, and assume no hidden costs).
    Sometimes I see a book on amazon.com or amazon.uk or both. It depends on the book and your country.

Wang Yang (Authentic I Ching) says that Jiao Gan was the teacher of Jing Fang (77-37 BC), the founder of the Na Jia method. So I wonder if the JSYL has more in common with that kind of school, than the classical text school.
    For complex divinations Wang integrates the interpretations of the different methods and schools to get a combined overview, using classical text, mei hua, na jia, and jiaoshi yilin.
    (I would not recommend his complex calendrical methods for generating hexagrams but he gives a good overview of the Chinese calendar, mei hua, na jia, and a few practical examples of Yilin divination.
    There is also a weak 65 page editor's translation of the I Ching).

I think Boyler is translating the Shang Binghe edition of the Yilin.
    David Raft (Four Syllable Verse in Medieval China - a dissertation) translated all of the Yilin verses for H.1 only, and quotes textual variants from about ten key Yilin editions (which he lists). On Shang's edition, he thinks 'his collation notes are inaccurate and his textual choices questionable', so did not cite all the variants in his text.
    Last edited by peterg; June 14th, 2016 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    It seems that after signing up to Createspace you have to give all your personal details before getting a shipping quote.
    Actually the shipping quote at Amazon.com is cheap. $7.37 international.
    ($0.00 for the whole transaction if I sign up for an Amazon loyalty visa card, and assume no hidden costs).
    Sometimes I see a book on amazon.com or amazon.uk or both. It depends on the book and your country.
    Yes, Amazon shipping seems better for international orders. CreateSpace is US based and I don't think they have printing capabilities overseas. I imagine Amazon gets the printing copy and piggybacks it on a shipment overseas.

Wang Yang (Authentic I Ching) says that Jiao Gan was the teacher of Jin Fang (77-37 BC), the founder of the Na Jia method. So I wonder if the JSYL has more in common with that kind of school, than the classical text school.

Yes there is actually a correction to the preface on that which will go in the next edition as kindly pointed out by Harmen Mesker. I had the order of masters wrong. It should read:

The Jiao Shi Yi Lin 焦氏易林 "Master Jiao's Forest of Changes" is a Han dynasty (206 BCE-220 CE) book of divinatory verses. The book is traditionally attributed to Jiao Yan Shou 焦延寿, courtesy name Jiao Gan焦贛, who came from Liang 梁 (modern Shang Qiu 商丘, Henan) and was a tutor in the household of the Prince of Liang (early 1st century BCE). He was a scholar and official, reaching the rank of district magistrate in Xiao Huang 小黃 (near modern Kai Feng 开封, Henan). He was a student of the great Yi Jing scholar Meng Xi 孟喜 and passed on the traditions of his school to Jing Fang 京房. However, some scholars suspect that the book was composed later, perhaps in the late Western Han, perhaps even somewhat later. I am inclined to agree with those who attribute the book to Cui Zhuan (崔篆), a scholar and official who was active in the time of the Wang Mang interregnum (9 - 23 CE). It is also my contention that much of the text is a divination manual specifically designed for merchants. How that fits in with the book’s scholarly provenance remains to be discovered.

I see a lot of influence from the various schools of time, Huang Lao, Gong Yang Chun Qiu school, and a very large element of folk elements, particularly omens for traveling merchants.

I think Boyler is translating the Shang Binghe edition of the Yilin.
    Yes, quite right, that's the one Boyler is working on. I look forward to it very much.

I have that dissertation of David Raft's and did some comparisons of it with my own text to make sure I was on the right path.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got it on Amazon, but Createspace is ok, it was just the extra effort of signing up. I find with standard shipping it usually comes expedited anyway, or within a couple of weeks. I forget what the expedited quote was at CS, don't think it was too much. And they use secure pay services.

Initially I had doubts about the large format but that was before I got the book. It works well in practice. Room for notes if you're a scribbler like me, and easy to read the many footnotes.
    Well bound, good paper , the page stays open without fluttering away, and very easy to navigate between the many verses of this 'vast and exuberant forest' as one writer puts it. Good index.
    Last edited by peterg; July 29th, 2016 at 06:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Glad you like it! I'm pretty happy with CreateSpace's formatting, though next edition might pull the chapter headings down just a bit. They're too close to the edge of the page. Also, one error I've found is that there are some page headings mislabeled in chapter 33 as 32. Also an error in the intro. The history of the purported author should include this:

He was a student of the great Yi Jing scholar Meng Xi 孟喜 and passed on the traditions of his school to Jing Fang 京房

Overall though I haven't come across too many typos and errors, so I'm holding off for now on the 1.1 version.

Please let me know if you find any errors and I will correct them.

Got it on Amazon, but Createspace is ok, it was just the extra effort of signing up. I find with standard shipping it usually comes expedited anyway, or within a couple of weeks. I forget what the expedited quote was at CS, don't think it was too much. And they use secure pay services.

Initially I had doubts about the large format but that was before I got the book. It works well in practice. Room for notes if you're a scribbler like me, and easy to read the many footnotes.
    Well bound, good paper , the page stays open without fluttering away, and very easy to navigate between the many verses of this 'vast and exuberant forest' as one writer puts it. Good index.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just posted on Facebook: Version 1.1 of the translation is out. Mainly catching some typos and some annoying page header errors. Only one place in the introduction with a change to a factual statement. It is a Confucianist work, with many of the texts reminiscent of Dong Zhong Shu's system of aberrations and omens pointing out flaws in governing. Interestingly, it also has a major component of divination verses clearly connected with the life of traveling merchants. Though mainly of interest to those studying the Yi Jing, the numerous footnotes expand on the many references to Chinese history and culture in the work (there are extensive citations of events in the Spring and Autumn and Songs).

https://www.amazon.com/Forest-Change.../dp/1505566843

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Kindle version of my translation of the Jiao Shi Yi Lin, The Forest of Changes, is now available on Amazon. The paperback is still more convenient to work with, but at a weight of 0 ounces, the Kindle one is more portable. With over 2000 footnotes connecting the verses to the Confucian classics and histories the book is like an encyclopedia of late Western Han thinking and folk culture. If you already bought the paperback the Amazon page should offer you the Kindle edition for .99 cents.

https://www.amazon.com/Forest-Change...8-1#nav-subnav

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The book is free to Amazon's Kindle Unlimited members and $9.99 for those buying the book for the first time. Thanks for your valued service

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fyreflye View Post
    The book is free to Amazon's Kindle Unlimited members and $9.99 for those buying the book for the first time. Thanks for your valued service
    And...thanks for your plug!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast