...life can be translucent

Menu

Is my mother's dream significant, or is it just a dream...?

Reaction score
My mother had a dream about a man she never met (I was friends with him, however). It was a very odd dream, and very hard to forget.

I asked the Yi if it held any significance, or if it was irrelevant. I got Hexagram 55, changing line 3 and result 51: Shock.

I have my own interpretation, but I really want to hear from others on the possibilities of this. This dream was eerie, though it seemed to bode well. Please share any and all thoughts on this!

radiofreewill

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
In terms of the story of the Zhou people and their rise to dynasty, Hexagram 55 captures an eerily significant event...

King Wu is in the Capital City/Observatory of Feng, (hexagram) 28 months into 'observing' the 36 month customary period of mourning for his deceased father, King Wen. The Zhou Army is on the march without him to the border of the Shang territory...

At this point in the rebellion, King Wu's Army of 75,000 is going up against the 1,000,000 man Shang Army, and he needs allies.

So, he negotiates with the Yi Chieftain and three other Lords ~ all potential allies ~ for their support. They tell him that they need to see a Sign from God in order to risk joining the rebellion.

One thing that all the diviners knew back then was that any New Moon could potentially be a Solar Eclipse, but they were rare events, usually only partial and difficult to predict.

Literally needing a miracle, Wu invites the potential allies over for Gui day (Divining Day) on June 20, 1070 BCE and in front of them asks the Yi to show him a 'sign' if the Mandate of Heaven is to be passed to the Zhou?

And, as if on cue, at high noon, the sky went inky black over Feng ~ on the Summer Solstice the New Moon blanketed the Sun so completely that the only thing left of it was the frothing corona around an empty hole and the stars were out!

Everyone dropped to the ground ~ at the extreme of its power the Sun had been brought low by the Moon ascendent.

Nobody had any problem reading it as an Omen indicating that the Mandate of Heaven had been passed from the Shang to the Zhou ~ and the allies signed on.

After observing the eclipse, King Wu decides to come out of mourning early ~ 'breaking' his right-hand shaking honor (line 3) ~ loads his father's corpse into a cart and joins the army rushing down the Yellow River plain to meet the Shang in the woods at Muye...

Inspired from on high, Wu's 300 chariots slice through the Shang ranks to surround the Tyrant, resulting in the victory of the rebel alliance against overwhelming odds.

So, from an impossibly desperate position, with the rebellion hanging in the balance, the Zhou rolled the bones with the Yi ~ and it delivered in spectacular fashion in hexagram 55.

How's that compare to your mom's dream?

Reaction score
Radiofreewill, thank you very much for that story. It is very eerie indeed.....

In the dream, my mother met a male friend of mine. I knew it was him based on her eerily accurate description of him. (She never met him in person!) He and I had been attracted to each other over the course of our friendship, but were never in a position to get together. Anyway, in the dream, he gave my mother a stack of books. Then they turned and looked out the window and saw the constellation of Orion pointing at my mother. It was literally turned 90 degrees and pointing. Like she had a message to deliver.

Both of them remarked how strange it was. Then my friend left, saying he had to give books to someone else. And that was it.

She and I discussed the significance of the dream. I asked the Yi if it meant something, or if it was just nonsense. To this day it haunts me; I'm not sure what to make of it. There's something about it that seems to be hinting at something. My heart tells me so, but I am not sure if I believe it.

So perhaps there is a message. But what about hexagram 51? Shock in what context?

radiofreewill

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Is it possible ~ would it shock you ~ if, in the dream, your friend was an angel of the Good Shepherd (aka Orion) delivering the knowledge of salvation (books) to your Mom? How did she feel after the dream was over?

Here's 55 from the Duke of Zhou Changes, by Fields:

Feng, the Royal Capital

Hexagram Statement: Omen ~ The king approaches, it is in the middle of the sun. Counsel ~ Your plea is heard. Do not grieve. It is appropriate.

Line 3: Omen ~ The Capital under a veil, stars appear in the middle of the sun. Counsel ~ He will break his right bow. Fortune ~ No harm will come.

In Chinese astrology, Orion is one of the 28 lunar mansions, shen, which means 'three stars,' as in Orion's belt, and it's also the chinese word for 'spirit' or 'spirit-like.'

So, in the hexagram statement, your mom could be praying for a sign from heaven and an angel of the Lord appears, having come from the Good Shepherd, to tell her that her prayers have been heard, and not to worry, because what has happened is the will of the Lord.

In line 3, your mom's 'not-knowing' is the veil that gets lifted by the Son to reveal His divinity and confirm her faith. It's your mom's good fortune (Grace) that a sign ~ the Good Shepherd swinging out 90 degrees to point the staff in his right hand at her ~ has been given to her to indicate inclusion in the flock.

How did you interpret the dream?

Reaction score
My mother has been praying for a number of things.

If my friend represented an angel in that dream, that wouldn't shock me, no. It was my mother's dream, not mine, after all.

Both my friend and my mother remarked on the oddity of Orion being turned the way it was....

My mom said afterwards, when I told her that I knew who the man was in her dream, that she felt he was "very nice" and she was impressed with his niceness. (My friend is extremely nice; he may be too nice.) My friend was one of the focal points of the dream; Orion pointing was the other. My mom felt good vibes with regard to my friend, though she said Orion rotated and pointing like that was kind of creepy!

I interpreted the dream as telling my mother that my friend held some sort of significance, and that when I find out, it will shock me. I also felt that my mother's prayers were tied to this dream, since I felt that an omen involving the sky and stars is evocative of a Mandate from Heaven. What you're saying makes perfect sense, and confirms something I was not able to put my finger on prior to this: God heard her in some regard.

I may be wrong though: I'm no dream expert by any means.

I received Hexagram 51 before long ago, and I remember a kind of shocking outcome to a situation (mild though it was). It was a completely unexpected turn of events. Nothing major, but it caught be by surprise for sure! A reminder, I guess, that the will of God (if he exists) is beyond our control.

Last edited:

radiofreewill

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
My take on it, then, is that the surprise is yet to come...but, at this point, it seems you at least have some confirmation that the dream has significance ~ potentially for your mother, your friend and yourself.

It might be helpful to know what was her greatest concern, her most heartfelt prayer, at the time she had the dream? I'm also like you, however, no expert on dreams. In my experience, I've had as many 51's that could be described as shocking revelations of the obvious, as I've had surprising turns of events.

In Taoism, analogous to "God" in the Western traditions, the Way is likewise beyond our control, too. Although sages are said to be able to push and pull the Way, a little bit, like bending notes on a guitar, it is also said that they're just not that interested in doing it...

Here's a very handy reference that I've found to be uncannily accurate when it comes to insights into people ~ The Tao of Birth Days ~ all you need to know is the month/day/year of a person's birth, which you then crank through a simple formula to determine that person's birth hexagram, which is explained in surprising detail.

You never know what you may find out about the three stars in your reading?

Many Blessings!

P

peterg

Radiofreewill, thank you very much for that story. It is very eerie indeed.....

In the dream, my mother met a male friend of mine. I knew it was him based on her eerily accurate description of him. (She never met him in person!) He and I had been attracted to each other over the course of our friendship, but were never in a position to get together. Anyway, in the dream, he gave my mother a stack of books. Then they turned and looked out the window and saw the constellation of Orion pointing at my mother. It was literally turned 90 degrees and pointing. Like she had a message to deliver.

Both of them remarked how strange it was. Then my friend left, saying he had to give books to someone else. And that was it.

She and I discussed the significance of the dream. I asked the Yi if it meant something, or if it was just nonsense. To this day it haunts me; I'm not sure what to make of it. There's something about it that seems to be hinting at something. My heart tells me so, but I am not sure if I believe it.

So perhaps there is a message. But what about hexagram 51? Shock in what context?

The books of the dream are curious. Derek Walters (The Complete Guide to Chinese Astrology) quotes a source who regards Orion and Xiu 21 Shen as bringing advantages through the Literary Star Kui Xing, which actually belongs to the Big Dipper or Northern Ladle.
Elsewhere Walters quotes Sima Qian: 'The Literary Star is supported on the head of Xiu 21 Shen' and 'The stars of the Northern Ladle represent the Emperors Carriage rotating around the centre of the universe'.
Some associate H55 with the Big Dipper.
This first link which I came across gives a flavour of Kui Xing
http://www.egreenway.com/taichichuan/swordmyth1.htm and begins ''For many centuries, Chinese scholars provided offerings to and prayed for favors from a deity that was known to be supportive of an intellectual, literary, or scholarly lifestyle. One "Literary God" is Wen Chang, who is often pictured with his two supernatural subordinates: an ugly fellow named K'uei Hsing (Kui Xing) who assists his supplicants in passing examinations and in earning degrees and diplomas, and a second fellow named Chu Yi (Red Coat) who assists scholars in finding good jobs. Both, Wen Chang and K'uei Hsing were thought to live in a mansion in the Big Dipper portion of the constellation Ursa Major. Another deity that is sometimes associated with scholars is the God of War, the patron saint of martial artists, Guan Di. One legend about K'uei Hsing (魁星 Kui Xing) is that he was a brilliant student, an outstanding scholar, and received the highest score on the Imperial examinations, but had problems...''

Last edited:
Reaction score
I happened to revisit this thread by coincidence when I saw your post, Peterg. And I have to laugh at this other coincidence: speaking of deities that support an intellectual or scholarly lifestyle, my friend is actually a professor, and I met him through college! In my mother's dream, she visited him in his office.

Still no shocking event yet, though.

Perhaps I should add that recently I asked the Yi how my friend really felt about me. We always had such pleasant and lively intellectual conversations and we generally like discussing things together. The hexagrams I got for his feelings: 21, changing lines 1, 3 and 6, turning to 62. I would say that his feelings are a lot more impassioned than he's showing me, but his pursuit will unfold in small ways. I would love to hear other thoughts though.

P

peterg

Haven't been around much here lately so another coincidence that I saw your post.
I missed the supermoon on Monday but last night it seemed unusually bright so I looked out and there it was directly above Orion in Xiu 20 The Beak (of the Turtle) usu. considered to be the head of Orion( Xiu 21) (Walters).
He says the stars of Orion are are so brilliant and recognizable that it is probably the most familiar star pattern in the sky.
Orion is often used as a pointer to other stars which are not so easy to find, so the subconscious may have been processing this idea in the dream. Dreams with an an important message are usually recurring though ?

Reaction score
Orion is often used as a pointer to other stars which are not so easy to find, so the subconscious may have been processing this idea in the dream. Dreams with an an important message are usually recurring though ?

That's what I think too, but my mother hasn't had a dream like that in a while. We're still puzzling over it. I know she's been praying for many things, and the constellation pointing at her may mean that she's holding some of the clues to her own puzzle.

She's been praying for a follow-up dream, but I guess dreams, as a part of the subconscious, don't adhere to our understanding of time. Also, she had that dream in February, right around the time that Orion is no longer visible - he should have reappeared t this point, right? Maybe she'll get another one soon.

I'm very grateful for both replies that provided more info on Orion. Google wasn't all that helpful, sadly.

Reaction score
I'd like to thank everyone again who replied.

My mother passed away last week. Whatever significance or meaning this dream held has now passed into mystery.

D

diamanda

LittleMissSunshine, my condolences for your mother.

I read this: "In China, the three stars of Orion's Belt represented the Three Pristine Ones in Daoism: Celestial Worthy of Numinous Treasure, Celestial Worthy of Original Beginnings, Celestial Worthy of the Dao and Inner Power". May she be blessed.

Reaction score
LittleMissSunshine, my condolences for your mother.

I read this: "In China, the three stars of Orion's Belt represented the Three Pristine Ones in Daoism: Celestial Worthy of Numinous Treasure, Celestial Worthy of Original Beginnings, Celestial Worthy of the Dao and Inner Power". May she be blessed.

Thank you.

I know have an understanding of my reading that could only be gained in hindsight. My mother had her dream in February of this year, when Orion was passing out of visibility. It was pointing at her in the dream. This past November, when Orion was becoming visible again, her health declined. It was as if the dream's symbolism was telling her that she was soon to join Orion in the heavens, hence the constellation pointing at her - in which case, my friend's presence in the dream was arbitrary.

The Yi's advice seemed to imply that she should enjoy the time she has left, for her death will be something of a shock - and it was, in a way. She had been ill for years, but none of us expected her to decline so fast.

Hindsight is 20/20, they say.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).