...life can be translucent

Menu

Work - do/don't 1 UC v. 57.5 to 18

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
I have a situation with a client that is driving me batty.

They approached me early in the year to explore a long-term partnership. I invested a lot of (unbilled) time in the process, pulled together a detailed proposal, and didn't hear from them for several months. I kept in touch once a month to see how things were unfolding on their side.

Then they asked me to produce a very very important document in a short time and I worked closely with the CEO to get it done. He had promised to provide feedback and to set a full day's immersion in the company in June so to deepen and anchor the team collaboration, much would then be done off-site.

I have not heard a peep from them since I delivered the document a month ago. June is nearly over (my last week is full to the brim anyway) and there will not be any opportunity for "face time" for several months.

I know from past experience they are in constant movement and can have serious time lags. But this is ridiculous (and I find it rude/inconsiderate). Partnering with them takes organisation, especially if I have to reserve time for them that would no longer be available for other clients or prospects. It's starting to irritate me.

While it would be very good to have a long term repeat client, I don't appreciate their predictable fees discussions, their not following through on planned next steps and their lack of communication. It's not helpful. My collaboration with clients is typically a real partnership over the long haul, amicable, with mutual respect and consideration and many clients even become friends.

So there's the background.

I asked Yi: what would be the effect of emailing them with feedback on this collaboration (courteous, but firm) > 1UC. I read it with two contradictory outcomes: speaking up could kick them into movement (as it has somewhat in the past) or it could deep six the issue.
And what would be the effect of doing nothing at all > 57.5 to 18 The process will take time, there's stuff to sort out (but by the time they do, my availability may well no longer be sufficient to meet their demands).

I'd love for them to fish or cut bait...

Your thoughts would be terrific! Thanks! :bows:

M

mirian

Hi flashlight,

In my view, both of your readings are saying that you should approach them. I really don't see either saying that you should just let this drag on. But the communication must be kept along these courtesy lines that you mentioned (which seems to be your style anyway). Hex 57.5 requires careful and moderate consideration before action and assessment afterwards to check the effect. Hope that helps.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I think 1uc sounds like you're being advised that if you do contact them you should only give them a poke - no need to go into a lengthy discussion in an email. Maybe email them a copy of something from them to you that mentions their intentions to have the meeting and attach a note saying something like "Please contact me in regards to our plans to meet in June."

57.5 -18 I see this as meaning that if you don't contact them now there will certainly need to be a major conversation down the road.

All in all I think you are better off contacting them now while there is still time for them to save face rather than waiting until they have clearly broken the agreement and you go from being a partner to a victim. And of course once you are connected you can say, "Before we go any further there are some issues we need to discuss..."

Let us know the outcome!

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
Y'ok, I'll poke. Feel like it anyway. Do not like living in a hyphen, and they do pull lots of hyphens. It's dead in the water for a immersion in June in any event, I've to go deal with the real water immersion situation at the house anyway LOL. And having a regular client is great, but not at any cost or with a collaboration style that is not quite collaborative at this point. I do have mixed feelings about them! I'll circle back :)

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
So I poked. Got a note back last night from the CEO, very friendly, sorry for the lack of communication (duh, not their strong suit clearly), haven't forgotten about you, stuff in the pipeline etc. But no response to request for feedback on the work that was delivered over a month ago and no insight on how to anticipate or organize myself for the possible onslaught that may come over the summer (when colleagues likely to be looped into the project have limited availability)! Confirms my instincts - they'll probably be a pop-in pop-out client that is a bit tough to manage rather than a stable/regular collaboration with smooth and responsive communication channels. Different from initial exchanges, but good to know so that I don't needlessly make "mental space" available that might detract me from other commitments somehow. It will be first come, first severed, fit into my schedule as much as I have to fit in with yours!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).