...life can be translucent

Menu

Your favourite I Ching translation?

Tarkus

visitor
Reaction score
I just acquired the Wilhelm version, it's so thorough that at times I struggle a bit connecting with it. I've thought at times that despite I have a good grasp on English, a book of such complexity ought to be read in one's mother tongue, but that brings up the problem of translation and I already have a problem with reading a translation of a translation. Or perhaps the Wilhelm version is indeed a bit hard at first?

I'd want to ask you this:

What are your favourite translation, or the translation you use the most? and

What makes it different to other translations of the I Ching?

I've heard that John Blofeld's translation is a good start for newcomers.

Best,
Tarkus

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Wilhelm is a little dated and not always accurate, but it should be in your collection.
You should always have several, as it's not possible to cover all the meanings in a single version. Chinese words are broader in meaning than English. Hilary makes some recommendations on this site, under Learn the I Ching > Book Reviews, which include her work, my own and LiSe's. Huang is a good one to have. Blofeld is OK. I like Legge too. And Cleary (his stand-alone version or the one in his Buddhist I Ching). Richard Lynn is worth having. This one by Greg Richter is free online: http://grichter.sites.truman.edu/files/2012/01/yjnew.pdf
There is a LOT of junk out there. You should avoid books that are only commentaries. And you should also avoid anything advertised for beginners.

Last edited:

fabio galassi

visitor
Reaction score
Harmen Mesker 'Translation Notes' for a 'newcomer'...

...but..there is really the chance to get lots of informations (i.e.: reviews and links at biroco.com)
Both translated, portrayed or betrayed.
One takes some risks. But it worth the path (the 'Sixth Relative' navigation chart ?)

Quoting Mr. Field, and his interesting as thorough rendition: "...all translation of zhouyi must be provisional..."; "We must come to this with an open mind and employ 'the scientific use of the imagination'..."

What Mr. Hatcher wrote down, in a similar manner, in his two volumes work: ""It's too late for perfect understanding - the time is long past for certainty [...] we must live with speculation, learn to be honest about it and work to become more effective in this uncertain state"

Last edited:
N

Nevermind

My favorite translation is Wilhelm's/Baynes.
Read somewhere that after translation of each line and hexagram, he translated them back to mandarin so his teachers can see if the meaning has been preserved. Only when they agreed he left it like that, so it took many times for some of the text.

So I wouldn't worry about the translation for the Wilhelm's part, although I don't know how much of that Baynes managed to keep.

In any case, ones we get used to the meaning(and that is basically that all is showing movement), it's very good translation in my view. Some people criticize him that he doesn't say in most situation where is the person asking(and that can be seen in the lines), however that has very good reasons too.

It's also very good step to get into the more complicated practices there. Interesting example is the part with "The Hexagrams arranged by houses" in the appendix of the full edition. In there are the first steps of WWG, and that is finding the element of each hexagram. : )

So overall the general answer is - "use whatever resonates with you the most", however it is nice to mention that for stepping stone to the more complex part of the system Wilhelm is very good translation to use for preparation.

C

cjgait

The translations I keep on my desk (some definitely not for beginners):

Jack Balkin's The Laws of Change (if I were to recommend one translation to a beginner or someone who simply needs to use the Yi to find their way, this is the one)
The Tao of I Ching by Jou, Tsung Hwa
I Ching by Wilhelm/Baynes
Zhouyi by Richard Rutt
Changing by Liu Ming
The Duke of Zhou Changes by Stephen Field
I Ching by John Minford
Kniga Peremen by Julian Shchutskiy (I'm currently translating this one into English)
The I Ching and Unearthing the Changes both by Edward Shaughnessy

I also have half a dozen Chinese editions that are my main sources, with Gao Heng's Zhou Yi Da Zhuan Jin Zhu my current favorite.

tacrab

visitor
Reaction score
I find Wilhelm deep and wonderful, but it is not necessarily the easiest place to start. Same as many others such as Lynn's Wang Bi I Ching, and others meant for more detailed study.
Carol Anthony's Guide to the I Ching is a good supplement to Wilhelm.
Blofeld is good choice. Hilary's, Balkin's, Margaret Pearson's, too. It just depends on your interests and inclinations and tastes, or even the font size or book size! Start with one book, and use that for a while just to become acquainted. Then later add another, to broaden your understanding.
I've got a list of some serviceable I Ching versions at https://contemplatingiching.wordpress.com/faq/, and some reviews of recent releases.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).