...life can be translucent

Menu

IE browsers access to forum ???

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Can't use IE now with this forum at all. Hilary said to clear cache so I did but it didn't help so the only solution is to use Chrome which I'm not happy about. Basically the forum on my IE browser froze about 5pm yesterday, none of posts will post and no new posts appear either. I just tried to post in the IE browser and it says I have no access to the forum.

Am I the only one who cannot use IE to access this place now ?

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I think I caused this problem in the first place by getting over-enthusiastic with some caching settings - ie telling the browser to keep a copy of parts of the website rather than downloading them all every time. It started keeping old copies of forum threads, which was Not Helpful. I've stopped it doing that now - your browser will cache things like the header image (hooray), but nothing where you actually need to see the latest version.

So to get IE or anything else to work, 'all' you need to do is persuade your browser to fetch the latest copy of the page from the website. Normally that just means clear your browser cache, but apparently that's not so simple in IE. Here is what looks like a helpful page:

http://agsci.psu.edu/it/how-to/clear-internet-explorer-8-ie8-browsing-history-cache

That should give you ways to wake it up.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Well I think I may be causing Hilary work for no reason if no one else has IE problem. Am getting to grips with google chrome which seems much faster afterall.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yay thanks Hilary those instructions worked. What I was doing wrong was not unchecking 'preserve favourites', it didn't say that on the instructions I found.

So now I do have the option of using IE but have discovered Google Chrome

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Could you use IE for a while in your role as guinea pig/ canary, just to check it really is working?

(Thank you.)

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Okay.

Whilst you always say no one uses IE except me when I Google it to compare it to Google Chrome I find it is said to be one of the most popular browsers.

Not sure which to make default browser but I usually end up going back to IE when exploring browsers for some reason, always seem to find a hiccups on others.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
According to Analytics, visitors to this site in the past month are using...

44.4% Chrome
35.2% Safari
10.1% Firefox
4% Internet Explorer
2.1% 'Android browser'
1% Opera
1% Edge
0.6% Amazon Silk (what's that?)
0.5% Opera Mini
0.3% Blackberry

IE is down from about 8% this time last year.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
'Amazon Silk' sounds like a condom

buzzurro

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
'Amazon Silk' sounds like a condom
...possibly sold by Sh! :D
But it's actually easy to guess what it is:
What Is Amazon Silk?

Anyway, I'm using IE 11 right now, on my netbook running win 8.1 32 bit.
So far everything seems to work ok, but I'll only know when I submit this post!

By the way, my favorite browser is Vivaldi, a fork of Opera. Theoretically it should appear somewhere at the bottom of the list by Analytics, since I used it to visit this site less than a month ago, but maybe the percentage is too small to even appear...?

Edit: yeah, it seems to work :)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).