...life can be translucent

Menu

Help please with reading about a move, urgent decision required...

empresssha

visitor
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am new to I Ching, I have been drawn towards it recently (I think to help because I am going through a time of change and uncertainty).

My situation is this... I have got to make a decision about where to live for the next year. My friend has offered me a room in his house share, however due to some health problems I have, this accommodation is not entirely suitable. I am female and my friend (and all other housemates) are male and my long-term on and off partner is very uncomfortable with this (or relationship is not great at the moment, that is another question for another day). Anyway, I had no other options for a while and I feel like me and this friend are being drawn together for a higher cause so I accepted the room and have paid some money. Thing is, some alternative accommodation (that would suit my health needs better) has come along. The other accommodation would also be more affordable and is safe and less of a risk to take for me.

I really don't want to pull out of my commitment now and let my friend down. The rent is due tomorrow but I feel really uneasy about the whole thing. The whole process has been shaky for me, I can't seem to make a solid decision either way. I was guided to the I Ching in my state of confusion. I asked a few questions and some of the answers make a lot of sense... others are very hard to understand. As I am so new to it I would really appreciate the input of those with more experience :)

I asked:

What does the I Ching advise with regards to paying the rent and committing to the house share?
Answer: 46 (with lines 2 and 5 changing) which makes 39.
My instinct is the I Ching is telling me that if I was to proceed with the payment obstacles would come along the way, but on the other hand it could be telling me that the obstacles to advancement are in my head only? It seems positive but also negative...

One passage of 39 reads: "Find out why you are doing this" so I then asked: Why have I chosen this path?
Answer: 45 (line 6 changing) to 8
This seems pretty positive, I have been very solitary so it makes sense that the universe would be guiding me towards a group of other people, the I Ching again suggested another question it seems...

Would living in the house share bring me in harmony with the cosmos?
Answer: 18. This one has me confused, perhaps because it was a yes/no question? I feel like its telling me it could go either way, either it would lead to more disrepair or help to repair some things for me...

The moment I connected most with I Ching was once I asked why am I having so much trouble making decisions?
I Chings answer was 56 (line 6 changing) to 62
The line that stuck out for me was about not making long-term commitments at this time. Because the house would be a year contract and would affect other people I feel like the I Ching is telling me that it might be best to go with the alternative accommodation, where my actions would not affect other people. This hexagram 56 kind of represents how I feel at present, the potential for changes in my situation that are unpredictable in nature, possible changes of direction on the horizon.

I then asked if it would beneficial to talk to my friend about my concerns?
Answer: 57 (line 2 changing) to 53
This suggests to me that now is not a good time for any real actions, perhaps I could bring up some concerns with my friend in a gentle way where I am still allowing for development of the situation? Since time is running out I'm not really sure... again I probably am going wrong by asking a yes/no question?

I asked what would be best for me to do about this situation now?
Answer: 6 (lines 1,2,4 changing) to 42
This one I am having trouble with... It seems to suggest conflict is inevitable now (which is correct) but if handled correctly could lead to a more beneficial situation. On the other hand, it could also be suggesting that conflict should be avoided at all costs in order to reach the benefits?

Finally I asked what needs to be done about my living situation?
And the answer was 53 (line 1 changing) to 37
Maybe to talk gently to my friend without any drastic actions/revelations? Just be honest about my feelings whilst neither letting him down or proceeding ahead? I don't know if this is possible but I'm willing to trust the I Ching :D Another possibility here is that I am being guided to something completely different... My plans had been centered around being in a different city for univeristy but I wonder if I'm being guided to stay close to my family at this time instead?

If anyone has read this far and has any guidance/sage wisdom about how the I Ching's answers should be interpreted, or even better, your suggestions on what it might be trying to tell me I would be eternally grateful! I feel like hex 53 is the one I should be paying attention to, but it's very subtle so I'm struggling...

Thank you x

*ETA: I asked another question afterwards, how would it affect the others if I pulled out of the shared house? Answer 20 (lines 1 and 5 changing) to 27.
It seems like they would be OK after a time of pause? It might even be better for everyone, Contemplating's message seemed to be telling me if I consider how my actions affect others long term it will help me decide what to do and I will be led to make a decision which leads to nourishment for all...

Last edited:

steve

visitor
Reaction score
Hi
42.2 describes possibly making your friend a humble offer or a sacrifice on your behalf, it could mean money or something else. Anything small would go along way. 42.5 is talking about progressing there after but slowly but never the less making progress, then this leads to 39 and possibly you should go no further or possibly you wont be able to due to physical or emotional blocks. In general i think you maybe being advised to make and peace offering, take it slowly then you can stop from proceeding in that direction. Being blocked occasionally can be a good thing.
Either way 39 to me usually means what it is, you wont go much further in that direction meaning you will need to physically stop or refrain from that train of thought.

18 to me especially can mean time to heal or time to literally clean up. I have had it so many times in relation to work. I also remeber getting it allot after a bad break up. I think its a fortunate hex at times as the Iching is actually telling you need to fix somethings, like you do so dont be mistaken. I would think compared to 39, that maybe the other place may give you a chance to work some things out, and from what you said that makes sense, lower rent, less people, less pressure from the BF.
Also for unchanging hexs can be much clear answers than lines and less complicated decisions to make. Like the Yi is being slightly louder to get our attention.

Somebody else maybe have other ideas or if they agree help you with the other readings, the main reason is 39 either way there will be blockages and you have my take on hex 18.

Good luck
Steve

empresssha

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you so much for you reply Steve! Everything you say makes a lot of sense, I love your way of interpreting the I Ching, seems like you have a great level of understanding!

What you say about cleaning up is most definitely true, to put it simply I am feeling in quite a mess at the moment! And yes the single hexagrams seem much simpler (especially for a newbie like me)

Interestingly the message of hex 53 was made much clearer to me today, I simply had to meditate and allow the right thing to say to come to me. I was able to speak gently and honestly to my friend and let him know I am willing to help regardless, it seems like it's going to be OK no matter what and I have even more appreciation for my friend than before as he was so understanding, wherever I end up living I will know I have a dear friend!

Thank you again for your kind and helpful response Steve, I am growing more and more intrigued with the I Ching and all its profound wisdom

empresssha

visitor
Reaction score
Update for anyone who cares:

Hex 18 was very fitting - the house was a mess and I was constantly cleaning!!! The whole time I lived there the hexagram and the words 'fighting the decay' kept coming to me

But it did feel like living with family except I was definitely the mother! I lived in the other place the next year and it was great for me. Retrosoectively if I could go back I would have pulled out of the house share and gone with the other place but oh well!

Thanks again Steve

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).