...life can be translucent

Menu

Update to version 1.5

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
- it includes Bradford's translation and commentary (from volume 1), so you can toggle to it via the hexagram browser and use it with your readings. (Thanks, Brad!)

To update, you need the Journal Updater program. Whatever you do, do not download the latest version of the full program and install it over the top of your existing Journal, as that would delete all your entries.

(Last time we brought out a new version I wasn't clear enough about this, and someone did exactly that. The entries couldn't be recovered. Please, please use the updater program.)

Here is a blog post with a link to download the Updater and quick instructions:
http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/answers/2016/11/01/resonance-journal-update/

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
For kicks, and since Justin mentioned he'd fixed this, I tried a 300-character title. Was happy to see a nice, straightforward error message: "Please enter a title shorter than 250 characters."

Except there's no way to do that. Any action at all just causes the error message pop-up. I can't even exit the program with the "x" in the upper right-hand corner.

Thank goodness for "end process," I suppose...

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Since I'm already grumpy...why is it that the included translations can have pretty formatting, but any formatting we use in our added translations is lost when displayed anywhere.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Any action at all just causes the error message pop-up.

Apparently not always. I just exceeded the character limit again, unintentionally, and this time it did let me fix it, perfectly nicely. However what happened the first time did happen. I have no idea what I did differently between the two.

justin farrell

visitor
Reaction score
Apparently not always. I just exceeded the character limit again, unintentionally, and this time it did let me fix it, perfectly nicely. However what happened the first time did happen. I have no idea what I did differently between the two.

Hi Lisa

The 'title too long' message pops up whenever the software tries to auto save the entry. This can get a bit tricky as the auto save is triggered once the title and entry type have been entered.

As a temporary workaround,

1. Close the pop up message by clicking enter on your keyboard (the OK button on the pop up already has the focus) .
2. Then click anywhere inside the title box.
3. When the message pop ups again click ENTER again (as opposed to clicking OK in the message box). The cursor will now remain in the title box.
4. Use the mouse and cursor to highlight the text in the title.
5. Once you release the mouse key after highlighting, the message will pop up again. When this happens, click ENTER to close it as before.
6. Once the pop up has closed, hit the DELETE key on the keyboard.
7. You can now re-enter the title.

I will find a way to make life easier in this regard, for the next update.

Hope this helps in the meantime.

Justin

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I just went through the process of updating as instructed by Hilary and i got a message saying it was successfully updated but I see no difference. I see no translation from Brad anywhere. Also is Lise's translation meant to be there ? I only have Hilary's in my journal. I expect this is something terribly obvious but I'm stuck ? Help ?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Found the translation button, use it and just get an irritating message saying 'there is at least 1 hexagram associated with this entry. Please delete hexagrams before changing entry status' :confused:

I think I only have Hilary's translation

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
There is no pane as it points to in the manual under the text where you can choose translator

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
This is all thoroughly baffling and you may need to open a helpdesk ticket to get Justin to solve it. But first - what do you see in the hexagram browser? (Ctrl+H, or under 'Yijing' in the main menu.)

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Oh I've never been there before and sure enough there there is a pane where I can choose between you, LiSe or pinyin but no Bradford despite the apparently successful update. Perhaps the thing I updated is somewhere else.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
oh yes one folder has been updated with Brad's translation but there are no readings there at all...all gone

i don't understand this. i suppose i must have updated the wrong folder or something but glad i did because all the entries have been wiped out.

i have a shortcut on desktop where entries still are. all i need to do is update that one but then again it might wipe out all my entries

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
You have me completely confused now. It sounds as though you're saying you have two copies of the journal in different places on your computer: you've updated one, but your entries are in a different one, the one with a desktop shortcut. If - if - that's what you mean, then yes, update that one. Back it up first, of course.

(I don't understand what you mean about entries being deleted when you say you can open your journal in the usual way and see all your entries. This is why I wonder if you have two copies.)

If when you come to run the updater, you're not sure where to find this copy of your journal that's in use, right-click on its desktop shortcut and choose 'Open file location'. That will open Explorer and show you the folder.

It also just occurred to me that since you've updated before, you may have old versions of the updater program sitting on your desktop - which would look just the same as the current version. Of course if you ran an old version it wouldn't change anything. If that's a possibility, then right-click on the updater shortcut you're unsure about and choose 'properties' and then the 'general' tab. That will show you its date.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hopelessly lost. Tried to update the current journal i am making entries to but couldn't and in the process seem to have lost both LiSe's translation and the pinyin. I guess you are assuming a certain amount of computer savvy to update this which I just don't have. I am using the correct shortcut BTW I have deleted the other one

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I mean there is a copy of the journal with Bradford's translation on it but I don't know why it updated that one. Logically it's a question of updating the one I am using. So yes i found it's location and tried to update but I just got something up saying it already existed.

It doesn't matter that much I can just go and look at Brad's or LiSe's translation but it's a shame

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Tried to update where the current location is but it says it already exists...but it doesn't it exists in another empty resonance journal. This is just beyond my capabilities

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
WRONG it does matter do not use this updater unless you understand computers I think I have lost everything and the worst thing is I cannot even describe it. There is now no hexagram entries, no numbers, just this tag thing so it won't allow to me to enter hexagrams notr access old readings...well the readings are there but there is no information...this is a total bloody disaster

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
You've completely lost me - I don't understand what's happening at all. The updater is very boring and simple to use, or at least it has been until now... but then I believe Mercury is doing something interesting at the moment. Mercury or no Mercury, though, if you lose any readings you can always restore them from your backup.

Please open a helpdesk ticket so we can go into detail, identify the problem and fix it. We'll need you to lay everything out step by step: "I click on the left of the screen where it says 'xyz' and then I see 'abc' in the middle of the screen under where it says 'pqr'" kind of detail.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Trojina, do you have a good, up-to-date backup? If you make another one, name it something different from the last one. Reason being if there's some doubt about what's going on with your entries, you don't want to overwrite an acceptable backup with one that might be missing things.

I usually name my backups with the date and time, so it's obvious at a glance when I made it.

Documents > Resonance Journal Backups > 2016-12-31-10-09am

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Also, Trojina, do you know how to use Windows Snipping Tool? In case screen clips might help? (I assume Windows 10 has Snipping Tool? I'm still on Windows 7.)

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Trojina, do you have a good, up-to-date backup? If you make another one, name it something different from the last one. Reason being if there's some doubt about what's going on with your entries, you don't want to overwrite an acceptable backup with one that might be missing things.

I usually name my backups with the date and time, so it's obvious at a glance when I made it.

Documents > Resonance Journal Backups > 2016-12-31-10-09am

I have one of those things you plug in forget what they are called...anyway there's an old back up on there where it seems to be working so I can see what is going wrong is that in right hand pane there are not 4 option tabs the only options are tag/tag cloud...so where has the hexagram number entry thing gone ? I have submitted a ticket but despair they will even know what I'm talking about.

I think a lot of the problem is I have numerous files all over the place called 'resonance journal' and have no idea why so naming them something else may be a good idea. Tried to do journal restore but was told google chrome have disabled plugin for java or something. Anyway at least I have entries up to August on the wotsit...no idea where the computer backup is.

My function on these threads BTW is to be so clueless that everyone else feels very free to ask less stupid questions as they know they won't be as clueless as me. It's so frustrating

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
in right hand pane there are not 4 option tabs the only options are tag/tag cloud...

That is exactly how it should look on a "new entry" screen - so it's not necessarily wrong or bad. When you're seeing that in the right-hand pane, what are you seeing in the left-hand pane at the same time? Click on the Entry List tab - do you see a list of entries?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yes but when I used to click on a reading under the entries then in left hand pane the hexagram would show up with the text/translation. Also I now cannot get any new reading to hold. Like I write in the topic, use the drop down thing to put the hexagram in but then it just vanishes and isn't recorded.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
This must be specific fault because it was functioning okay till I tried to add a new entry then a banner came up that would not shift or close which said

'the statement was aborted because it would have caused a duplicate key value in a unique or primary key constraint or unique index identified by'

....so that's clear :rolleyes::rolleyes: to me that sounds like something to do with me having multiple copies of this journal although which is what and what is which I do not know.

Anyway it is very soothing to see you here Lisa....it is always soothing to see you on a tech thread, they should give you a job

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Eeek. If it was me, I think I'd do nothing at all until hearing from Justin.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to do general 'system restore' hoping it will undo what ever i did. Do you think this should work ? Like if I just get rid of the update it might go back to how it was.

This has worked for viruses like a dream

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
If you mean Windows system restore, I've never used it.

Any chance you could wait and ask Justin? Both for his opinion about using that as a solution, and also because - let's say it does work like a dream as you say, and your journal is back the way it was and everything's happy - any evidence about what went wrong will also be lost, and maybe that would be helpful for him to see.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose make sure in the meantime nothing will wipe out the restore point you want to use.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I just don't think Justin or Hilary will even know what I am talking about. I have several copies of the journal one of which updated but that was the one with no readings in. The one with all the readings in well it has all the readings there but no sign of any hexagrams to go with them. I have another copy on a memory stick but there's tons of readings not entered which means re entering like 18months worth of readings and the worse thing is no one has a clue what I am on about. Justin has tried to help today but it is new years eve so I can't reasonably expect him to go on tonight.

I have uninstalled the update and that hasn't worked. Think I will need to pay someone to actually sit here and figure it out because I can't.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
oh no point using system restore when i can just uninstall the thing

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
actually the copy with no readings in has got LiSe's translation too so I reckon the last update updated that copy so that one could be used to enter readings but I can't possibly re enter all the old readings i wonder if there is a way to copy them all over from the ruined version

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).