...life can be translucent

Menu

Nuclear Hexagrams

Bourbonist

visitor
Reaction score
Hello all,

Some of you know I'm still learning the Yi... and in that process I need to seek guidance and ask questions, etc.. Im very very sorry to annoy you guys with these questions, but I would really love to hear what you think on nuclear hexagrams.
How many of you read the nuclear hexagram? Do you read it in all your casts, or only in some?

Thanks a lot for your insights. :bows::bows::bows:

All the best,

B

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Nuclear Hexagrams are not as old or as fundamental as Nuclear Trigrams.
They came along several centuries later.

Bourbonist

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Bradford
So you think it's better to go thru the trigrams, and then as a next step in my studiesof the yi to go to the nuclear Hexagram?

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
If you're just starting out, I'd focus on the primary trigrams until you understand how they combine to form the Hexagram meaning. This is best accessed through the Great Image or Da Xiang. It's easy to get ahead of yourself with this book or get lost in exploring these side roads. Plenty to see in the center, but you have to slow down and go deep instead of wide.

peter2610

visitor
Reaction score
I agree with the view that you should make the regular trigrams and hexagrams your priority for now but once you feel reasonably comfortable with these start to identify the individual nuclear trigrams and recognise how they incorporate into the hexagram as a whole - for example can you recognise the importance of the upper nuclear trigram "Li" in any undertaking represented by Hex.53 - Gradual Progress? Spend a long time at this stage until you can "feel" the presence of the nuclear trigrams.

markgravitygood

visitor
Reaction score
Nuclear Hexagrams derived from the future hexagram.

So, I've been thinking of doing this procedure (I'm a software engineer so I've very procedural oriented):

0: Formulate my question
1: Cast for the "current" hexagram
2: Read the "current" hexagram text.
3: Read the changing lines of text.
4: Derive the upper and lower trigrams from the "current" hexagram and get the "nuclear" hexagram
5: read the "nuclear" hexagram
6: Apply the changing lines to the current hexagram to derive the "future" hexagram
7: Read the "future" hexagram, ignoring the changing lines of text.

So, basically, I read the current hexagram, the nuclear hexagram, and alternatively the changing lines and future hexagram.

Now, the question for me is do I derive s second nuclear hexagram from the future hexagram, or is that an overplay?

8: Derive the upper and lower trigrams from the "future" hexagram and get the "nuclear" hexagram
9: read the "nuclear" hexagram

TIA

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
You don't need to consider the nuclear hexagram at all, most people don't, it's just there as an additional aspect if you want to look at it. Also there isn't a 'future' hexagram, there's a primary hexagram and if it has change lines then it changes to the relating or second hexagram which cannot be classed as simply 'the future'.

You can find very clear instructions on how to begin consulting by using the 'learn tab' at the top of the page. There is a free beginners course as well as the Foundations Course. You should be able to navigate with the arrows to find straightforward instructions to consult and understand your answers here

https://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/lea...st-a-reading/casting-a-hexagram-with-3-coins/

Oh there isn't a future hexagram you mean the relating hexagram when there are change lines. If there are no change lines then you just have the primary hexagram. This is often called an unchanging hexagram.

You can look at the nuclear hexagram of the second hexagram if you want but there is no need to. The only reason you would look at nuclear hexagrams is just to get an idea of the core of the hexagram you cast but it really is not central to beginning to divine with Yi at all.

I think you are just cluttering your mind with the nuclear hexagram at this stage, it's not helpful. Why not start by casting an answer to a question you have look at the the primary hexagram and lines and relating if there is one and see what happens ?

Looking at the nuclear isn't much part of anyone's 'procedure' that is anyone who does much actual divining. If you go and look at Shared Readings you can see how infrequently people use the nuclear hexagram in interpretation.

As you develop your practice the nuclear hexagram might well be something of interest to you but that's all, it really isn't a necessary part of consulting to start with.

S

svenrus

I've sometimes got the thought that neither nuclear trigrams nor changing lines were used in the earliest consultations. King Wen are only known for the Judgements as I understand it... (Or ?)

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Changing lines are fundamental or foundational.
Nuclear trigrams were in use at least by the Spring and Autumn period.
Nuclear hexagrams are the real latecomer, not appearing until the Han.

markgravitygood

visitor
Reaction score
Hi, and thanks. Probably a result of reading too much about how to do a reading from various sources. I have trimmed it back to include the Primary Hexagram, the changing lines, if any, and optionally the Relating Hexagram.

Some web sources do call it the "Future Hexagram", interchangeably.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Some web sources do call it the "Future Hexagram", interchangeably.

Yes, but they are in error.

The 2nd hexagram is not the future.

If Hex 1 is a Dog.
And the 2nd hex is the color Blue.
The reading would be a Blue Dog.

Spanish speakers would have to reverse this.

Rks1157

visitor
Reaction score
I am unfamiliar with nuclear hexagrams. Nuclear trigrams is another matter. I rarely read them because they are already considered in both the images and judgements though they are useful in figuring how the words that clothe the images come to be.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).