...life can be translucent

Menu

Hexagram 51.1 to 16. Should I move out of Athens or stay?

Jules2

visitor
Reaction score
Hi! Would love some help with this~. I used to move around to various cities for fresh vistas and inspiration. I'm now in Athens, GA for the longest I've been anywhere in adult life--6.5 years. Must tell property manager by the end of this week if I'm renewing lease. Hit me a few days ago, that I could turn this time into an adventure, say no to renewal and perhaps move somewhere I've never been. Then again, I imagine a move across town could be equally inspiring, as could staying where I am, building on stability which I've rarely had or fostered. I've often thought that I've just about grown out of this town, but do not want an unnecessary hardship of moving (again) to a place where I know no one, I have no car, and only certain skills to forge a living. I am 40, single, and 2 years sober. Part of me wants to cut completely with echoes of the past here, but another part likes the idea of blooming where I'm planted and reaping rewards of living life in a step by step kind of way. Honestly, what I want more than anything is to cultivate my self-expression in arts and pursuits. I seem to have everything I'd need right where I am, and have already begun, but in asking this question, what is the shock?? Is there something in me that needs a shake up that can only come from another faith-fueled adventure? Sort of sounds exhausting, but I also don't want to grow hardened by settling. Your feedback is welcome! Thank you!

julie

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
That strikes me as encouraging. Moving would shake things up for you in a scary but exciting way. Good fortune. Time to start dreaming!

D

diamanda

Hi Jules2,

It sounds different to me. Any (or all) of these:

a) You'd think that a shock-moving would be beneficial, a 'pleasant surprise', but you're deluded.
b) You'd think that a shock-moving would be beneficial, a 'pleasant surprise', but might lead to drinking again.
c) A small shock, small and pleasant, would lead to better art.

My conclusion is you're better off staying where you are, at least stay in the same city.

Jules2

visitor
Reaction score
Awww...thank you both for sharing your insight on how this strikes you! Very generous of you to be so open to contribute, and it really warms my heart! :)

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
I agree with julie on this one, it's time to go somewhere

51.1 → 16 (Making Provision), Legge:
Shows its subject, when the movement approaches, looking out and around with apprehension, and afterwards smiling and talking cheerfully ...

Seems like this line just speaks about your situation, time for movement is approaching, it makes you anxious thinking about travel but that's just logic/lazyness talking. Get going and you'll feel a new surge of energy :)

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
'Shock comes, fear and terror.
Then afterwards, laughing words, shrieking and yelling.
Good fortune.'

(from Hilary Barrett's book; Hilary is the owner of Clarity which you probably already know)

Jules, when you ask an "either/or" question, it's hard to tell which of those Yi's answer is addressing, or maybe it's addressing the question generally and skipping right over both alternatives...

• You're sort of worried about moving again, but you'll end up glad you did
  • You're sort of worried about staying where you are - that's not "what you do," so the idea is a bit "shocking" to you - but staying will work out well
  • Some third angle, such as (possibly), pointing out that you're making this decision in a hurry, with only a few days to think about it. (I personally have had hexagram 51 telling me to hurry up, "arouse myself" - I'm not saying your reading is necessarily direct instructions like that, just that it's possible for 51 to be about the general state of hurrying.)
It'd probably be better to split this into two questions: "What if I stay?" and "What if I move?" (Or "What about staying?" and "What about moving?" ...word it however you like.)

Sixth Relative

visitor
Reaction score
I'm with diamanda here.

Both 51 and 16 imply excitement; both 51 and 16 could lead to renewal but both could lead to damage. Both 51 and 16 advise to keep calm, have a clear mind, avoid fear and excitement cloud the good judgment.

Since your question was whether to change or to stay, the metaphor of someone keeping his place and continue performing the rite regardless of the thunderstorm favors continuity among excitement rather than discontinuity.

Best wishes

yarrowfield

visitor
Reaction score
Jules, wondering whether you decided to do any follow-up questions based on these interpretations? What an exciting prospect, and as someone who's only recently pushing myself to really engage with the answers I get from I Ching readings, I'm finding it pretty amazing that they really do offer such direct insight on the situations in question. Anyway, hope the very best situation possible for you is what's just ahead...

Jules2

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Yarrowfield, and thank you to all who have posted! Yes, I took Lisa's suggestion and asked, "What about staying...?" and received 38.4-->41. This was after I had signed to renew my apartment for another year! :) In reading the responses that aligned with me staying, a refreshing acknowledgment of my own sense of guidance clarified. That is not to say that those who encouraged the "moving" were off...you, too, are right on! I have been incredibly introverted the last 2 years, and there is a budding desire to stretch out...there is nothing confining me to love the life I live here except my own judgments, comparisons, fears and doubts that I'm not going "big" enough. But as I shared, in the moments I feel that I've touched to sort of the bedrock of my being, there is a sense that...if there is a "task" at hand, it is to let the magical seep into the mundane. Which, in my understanding, is to really love the where and the what at hand. I am incredibly inspired by this, and by what is to come, and am happy to live into this corner of the world -- which is vastly expansive and infinite, even in its apparent smallness. Thank you!!!

Jules2

visitor
Reaction score
Later, I asked, *What about leaving Athens...?*. Received 48.2 to 39. Again, seems supportive of keeping close to my WELL here. Thanks again!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).