...life can be translucent

Menu

Starting a Shelter for Troubled/Abandoned Dogs -18 to 50

AnitaS

visitor
Reaction score
I've been thinking about starting a shelter of some sort based on donations for dogs suffering on the streets, whether abandoned or just strays that are suffering in some way. I have brought home dying dogs and looked after them until their last breath too. I asked whether there are any chances of my starting a shelter and received 18 line 4 to 50. Yes certainly this terrible situation shouldn't be allowed to continue. I posted a video about it today and asked for donations. I have more space to convert into more kennels at home. Any suggestions? 50 seems promising.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqQK0Y0lRzU

Thank you!

B

butterfly spider

Hello again - and just to say that when you posted your thread about becoming a Buddhist Monk, I got a very real urge to tell you to set up a home for dogs - but of course, given your desire to be a Buddhist Monk, this did not really seem sensible...

I think, especially wit your reading, there is a definite sense of forward movement here - and although I have limited experience of the line, really do think that this is a good idea. There are not many people who would do this, and I admire you for it. I think that if you have the inclination to help these dogs, then this is the right way forward for you. If your heart is in this they I wish you every good luck...I also teach a lot in Schools in the UK and often need starter or tutor group videos to show. I will, if it is appropriate be using your little video, to spread the word.

AnitaS

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you so much Butterflyspider. Hmmm maybe this should be my calling and is right now and has been for many years.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
'Comfortable with the father’s corruption.
Going on sees shame.'

I'm not sure how this line applies to what you're asking about, but I think it might need some careful examination.

If you asked something like "What if I open a dog shelter?," the reading doesn't sound to me like a foolproof ringing endorsement, necessarily. The omen is "shame" for some reason, and remember the hexagram is "corruption" or "decay." If the basic situation is one of decay - can a state of comfort really exist within that? Or is comfort-within-decay an illusion which will inevitably crumble?

I think I've gotten this line when I've thought things like, "Maybe xyz isn't ideal, but it'll do, there's no disaster, so there's no need to overturn heaven and earth to fix it, right? (Because that's at least a job and a half and I'd rather not make the effort.)"

Except Yi knows things we don't, and maybe the status quo won't be able to keep up with what's down the road. (Cue scary music.)

Look at the fan yao, 50.4. (As you may know, this is not your answer, but it might give context or explanation.)

'The vessel’s legs break off,
The prince’s stew is upset,
Dignity soiled. Pitfall.'

The vessel's legs are what keeps it upright and stable. If they break off, the whole container topples and everything spills out. This is not only humiliating, it results in "pitfall." Also, the legs breaking off in the middle of cooking dinner is a particularly unexpected, ill-timed, and possibly even dangerous (steaming-hot stew) event. (If the legs broke off some other time, maybe nothing would be ruined and no one would care very much). So...possible nuance in the message might be that something is not only "bad," but bad in those specific ways (unexpected misfortune, poor timing).

Another angle, from WikiWing, is that there's a "false sense of security." You just assume the support (legs) will hold, but look, it didn't.

So if your question was "What if I open a dog shelter?," Yi might be saying, "If you open a dog shelter, you assume everything will work out, but you'll end up with no support and unexpected problems. You think people will donate - oops, no one did, now what?" (Or something like that - this is speculation.)

(I do realize you've been taking care of a lot of dogs already, absolutely on your own, but you're thinking of expanding.)

A completely different, and happier for you, point of view might be if Yi's describing the dogs' plight, or the general state of animal welfare where you live. In that case, the line might be saying that everyone else is "comfortable with corruption" (dogs not being taken care of), but you're going to help remedy that. (Remedying decay is another accepted meaning for 18.)

I really have no idea which Yi is saying, or if it's saying something else entirely.

Last edited:

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
circe,
I have to ask.
Is there anything about your father or the men in your family in general that could stand out as 'unusual' ?
Meaning, habits, way of life, affiliations, prison time, anything at all that is remarkable?

I ask because there may be a connection.

AnitaS

visitor
Reaction score
None at all Moss Elk. On the contrary, these men were and are known for their humanity and charity. My father who died too young of cancer at age 45 long long ago was a saint of sorts - never remarried after divorcing my mom when I was 15, never drank alcohol or chase women. He helped many people and they loved him. Grandfather was Honorary physician to the first president of India. He also treated Mahatma Gandhi and was extremely charitable. My uncles are very honorable too. One of them was the former Foreign Secy of External Affairs and won the Padmabhushan as did grandfather. So no corruption. Not even a wee bit.

AnitaS

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you Lisa, thank you. I tend to think the Yi is saying this sort of thing shouldn't be allowed to go on.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Circe, what was the exact question you asked, when Yi answered 18.4 > 50?

AnitaS

visitor
Reaction score
Lisa, I asked what are the chances of my starting a shelter for abandoned dogs.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hm...since you asked about your "chances" of doing this, and what you meant was on an expanded scale which will need support from other people (donations) - I'm worried the reading is telling you the support won't be there.

It might be best to be cautious. Maybe see if you can get donations to help support your current efforts (which you know you can handle by yourself if you have to), but wait to see what happens before you expand any farther. It would be very sad to find yourself with more dogs than you can take care of.

AnitaS

visitor
Reaction score
Lisa it's just what I have in mind too. And so the video requesting donations. If they don't come it's ok. And I'll know I can't take in more. Thank you!

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I do hope it works out eventually, though. :hug:

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
circe,
I have to ask.
Is there anything about your father or the men in your family in general that could stand out as 'unusual'?

None at all Moss Elk. On the contrary, these men were and are known for their humanity and charity. My father who died too young of cancer at age 45 long long ago was a saint of sorts - never remarried after divorcing my mom when I was 15, never drank alcohol or chase women. He helped many people and they loved him. Grandfather was Honorary physician to the first president of India. He also treated Mahatma Gandhi and was extremely charitable. My uncles are very honorable too. One of them was the former Foreign Secy of External Affairs and won the Padmabhushan as did grandfather.

No, nothing unusual about them at all, huh?
:confused:

I think you could reexamine that, and how it ties in to your motivations. To this outsider, there seems to be a link.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Oh I think I see what you're getting at, Moss Elk. 18 can have to do with hereditary patterns, things like that.

Seems odd that a family tradition of charitableness would be associated with "shame," though, which is the omen in this reading. I guess I'm still confused.

I suppose this could be the wrong outlet, though - well, not "wrong," certainly, unless Circe trys to do more than she can support, which she said she won't.

Last edited:

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Oh I think I see what you're getting at, Moss Elk. 18 can have to do with hereditary patterns, things like that.

And she just started illuminating something of a pattern.
Let's braindrizzle....
The first things that spring to my mind are issues of identity, status, and maybe giving too much/martyrdom.
I am not disparaging her ancestors, 18 doesn't have to mean corruption, but could be an error or mistake of sorts.
If circe shares more, maybe things would become apparent.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).