...life can be translucent

Menu

56.1.6 Romantic Entanglements

little_hadj

visitor
Reaction score
This is the first time I have posted - this reading is genuinely puzzling. In most cases, I keep asking questions until I get a tolerable answer, but am trying to stop doing that. So here goes.

I asked "What is the best thing I can do for myself" and got Hex 56, The Wanderer, with two changing lines, line 1 about "the stranger mean and meanly occupied, thus bringing onto himself further calamity" and line 6 about "the bird burning his nest" where the stranger "laughs and cries out." The second Hex is 55 "Abundance." As background, I was asking because I have two different romantic entanglements. The first is a wonderful fiance with a substance problem that makes it impossible to even imagine getting married. The second is with a married person, and we've gotten kind of carried away, but I am trying to be a good person and concluded that my interaction with him is just confusing and degrading and possibly a reaction to my problems with my fiance.

Who is the Wanderer in this reading, me or one of these men? Is the calamity and nest-burning something I'm supposed to avoid because it will mess up my life even more, or descriptive of my existing situation? How could this be Abundant in any way? Ugh. Perhaps I will join a convent but that's a separate topic.

M

maggie may

The lower trigram is mountain. You asked what you can do. Mountain tells you to be still, to contemplate the situation. It tells you to take in an awareness of present conditions. If you think of hiking along a path and coming to a mountain, you would naturally stop. Its a place to consider the surroundings. You look back over the path that got you to this place. You consider the path you have before you. You gather and consider your supplies or resources. You rest.

Mountain is also about individuality. You are involved with two people who are not (it seems) meeting your needs. Time to consider your own individuality and your own journey.

Fire above is the outer situation. It's main attribute is clinging. It can represent relationships and what is needed to keep the fire burning. It can also be co-dependency. Fire is dependent on fuel and environment. These attributes are in contrast to the individuality of mountain.

Line one is about intention. It calls you to consider your intentions in regards to this situation. What do you expect to achieve? You have already said you don't see a marraige (lasting relationship) with either of these people. Would you be better off without them? Surely you are not going to discover your own individuality or find partners which mirror that while you are involved in 2 dead end relationships. That would suggest a journey, a transition from present conditions.

Line 6 is at the top of the situation. It is the flicker of the flame. It is not being fed the proper fuel or environment It is also the place to look back over the situation and to consider what to take with you into the next phase. You are not under the ruler (of line 5). It is the place of the sage and being in it but not of it.

The name of the hexagram can also be translated as a transition, something transitory. In H55, the lower changes to fire...what is it or who do you cling to? What feeds your fire? The outer changes to thunder. It is action without thinking. Just do it in a quick burst. There is much light in H55...fire and lightning. It is the sun at high noon, but it is also what is obscured, like an eclipse. It is that which is brought to light.

The Yi is an oracle and it should answer your question. You asked what you can do. Even simply reading the titles could answer it...take a journey, leave the present situation with intention (line 1) and with taking yourself out of it (line 6) and go toward a more enlightening (H55) perspective.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
I asked "What is the best thing I can do for myself" and got
Hex 56, 1.6. (55),
Who is the Wanderer in this reading, me or one of these men?
You are the wanderer. A good wanderer doesn't argue and keeps a modest and mild profile.
in line 1 the wanderer is fussy and annoying.
in line 6 the wanderer is reckless and destroys it's home (nest)

applying to your question, do you think it is telling you to complain more and destroy your home?
or complain less and preserve your home?

the king in 55 makes decisions and acts, instead of being sad about things.

Lavalamp

visitor
Reaction score
55 is a situation where there are a lot of choices and decisions to be made in front of you.

I have likened 56 the Wanderer to a Musician and his "Axe"/Instrument.
6.1 "The wanderer is trivial and petty, chopping up his position and seizing calamities."
The young musician sees music as a competition, showing off his "chops", "head cutting," not collaborative or cooperative. He tries to get ahead by making others look bad in comparison, maybe trash talk etc.

6.2 "The wanderer comes to a resting-place, cherishes his belongings and acquires a boy-servant. Determination." He shacks up with his girlfriend and starts a band. He's more stable financially, happier personally, they are getting by and the band is determined to make it to the top.

6.3 "The troops burn their lodgings, lose their boy-servants. Determination danger."
They quit their day jobs, the band is ready to start touring, and go for it in a big way. Its a serious decision, some guys maybe quit the band, some give up their apartments, some of their girlfriends might break up with them over this.

6.4 "The wanderer is in a resting place and obtains his traveling-expenses. My heart is not pleased."
The band is at least breaking even. But misses his girl at home and the Holiday Inn sucks after a while.

6.5 "He shoots a pheasant, dead with one arrow. In the end praise and an assignment."
They are "killing it" every night, knocking them dead, booking more gigs, more press recognition, a recording contract...

6.6 "The bird burns its nest. The wandering people first laugh and afterwards cry. They lose their cattle at Yi. Pitfall." The band having achieved success, screws around with groupies and their wives and girlfriends leave them. Maybe they ditch their manager or the people who helped them succeed. This is going to cost them financially and emotionally.

- LL

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).