...life can be translucent

Menu

Career Change Hex 9 to 15, Hex 38 to 2

jp78

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Some context: I've been working in finance in CPG industry for 4-5 yrs now, and I am getting tired of it. I feel like I am not into it, just going through the motions/phases, and feel like I am in the wrong profession at times. I am also in my late 20's and at the pivotal point where most ppl my age go back to B-school or some grad program. I asked the I-ching 3 questions to help me figure out how to re-direct my energy/time to best figure out the situation for the remainder of the yr.

Should I embark on a path of software engineering? Hex 9.1.2.5.6 to Hex 15
Not sure what line 1 and 2 mean by "returning", but I know line 5 mentions to be sincere in my interests. However, does line 6 say "persisting brings misfortune", and I should not do this since it is a long path in which I do not have a formal background in. Be modest about my movements.

Will taking an online bootcamp in software engineering be worth my time? Hex 38.1.2.4.6 to Hex 2 Not sure about lines 1 and 2, but I think line 4,6 are cautioning against this for I could experience some setbacks(loss of money, time, value)? However hexagram 2 mentions to be receptive to any (job) opportunities or people who may be willing to help.

What is the best use of my time? Hex 28.1 to Hex 43 Line 1 says, "one wants to improve because of weakness". I do not understand this line. But should stay determined in whatever it is I undertake.

radiofreewill

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi jp78,

"Should I embark on a path of software engineering?"
9.1.2.5.6 to 15 ~ Probably not.

When 4 or more lines are changing, I read the unchanging lines of the partner hexagram ~ so, hex 10 lines 3 and 4 ~ which unambiguously say that this is fraught with risk, potentially costing you a lot.

"Will taking an online bootcamp in software engineering be worth my time?"
38.1.2.4.6 to 2 ~ Mixed blessing, but good fortune.

Same deal, 4 changing lines, so, the partner hexagram is hex 37 with lines 3 and 5, which suggest that this would be personal hobby time for you at the expense of family/friends time, but overall good in the end.

"What is the best use of my time?"
28.1 to 43 ~ Any decision you make will involve sacrifice. Make the sacrifice and keep moving forward with your decision, no harm will come.

Follow your bliss without being careless.

All best!

jp78

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. Everything you said makes sense. Although I didn't know you're supposed to read the partner hexagram. This is something new for me as I always just try to interpret the hexagrams I derived. I suppose a better question for the i-ching would have been something along the lines of how I can mitigate the risk and what is at stake.

radiofreewill

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
There are definitely multiple reading strategies available ~ you could use the 'story of the sequential lines' approach, if that matches your experience of the developing situation. Or, for four or more changing lines, I've found that looking at the unchanging lines of the partner hexagram tends to reveal the resistance of the shadow side that gets hidden by initial optimism/infatuation.

I like your reframing of the question ~ it might be possible to use the uninspiring finance track to bridge into something more aligned with your creative passion?

All best!

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I see both 9 and 15 as describing a worker who is trained to work well anywhere in the system. Like the maintenance man who knows every knook and cranny of the operation, one who could handle any assignment from design to finish. I wonder if you are being encouraged to get a broad overview of your field, particularly so you can discuss what needs to be done with authorities.

38 - 2. Would boot camp be worth your time? I think you're being told you'll meet a lot of people who share your interest but I wonder how far this experience could take you? Not sure it leads to anything.

28.1 - 43. Best use of your time.
Learn more about subjects that interest you, things that give you more stability, a solid foundation so you can move forward confidently.
Stabilize your relationships.

Last edited:

jp78

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Rosada. No one is really encouraging me to do anything until recently my brothers suggested not to waste money on school anymore and just do a coding bootcamp. The insight on bootcamp is interesting because ultimately the tuition you pay is supposed to land you an opportunity (whether or not it is a good one is in the air and the scary part). You're right - I might have taken the few friends and family I have for granted, but I am very grateful for everyone I have.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
The message of 28.1 seems to me to be don't take anything or anyone for granted and that could mean in this case that the promises of the boot camp leading to a job opportunity should be investigated before you sign up but it doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't go there.. Maybe ask the company for names of satisfied customers you could contact for references?
I know there are some readers who get very clear guidance from the I Ching and when it appears to warn them not to do something they know it's trustworthy advice. My own experience is that when the I Ching appears to be saying "no" it's more likely to be simply mirroring back to me my own hesitations or perhaps pointing out an obstacle that will have to be dealt with, but that if I go forward with my original intention things often work out just fine. What I'm saying is that if you feel to do something but the I Ching says "That may not be your best option" I would stop and think about it but not necessarily abandon my plan. I guess it depends on how the I Ching speaks to each of us.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).