...life can be translucent

Menu

Tao Te Ching

M

mattmurdoch

Hello Millennium,

I have frequently read the Stephen Mitchell translation, which is widely available. Reviews, comparisons and the authors preface outline that Stephen has taken some poetic license when translating. It is more an interpretation. This being said, it is highly readable and I feel it manages to portray the original messages.
There is a gentleman who teaches the Tao, who talks comprehensively on some of the issues with many modern translations. Through this exploration he translated his own copy of the Tao Te Ching. You can find it here, and I would highly recommend it. http://www.dereklin.com/

Do you have favourite?
Warmly,
Matt

M

mattmurdoch

Hello Millennium,

I have frequently read the Stephen Mitchell translation, which is widely available. Reviews, comparisons and the authors preface outline that Stephen has taken some poetic license when translating. It is more an interpretation. This being said, it is highly readable and I feel it manages to portray the original messages.
There is a gentleman who teaches the Tao, who talks comprehensively on some of the issues with many modern translations. Through this exploration he translated his own copy of the Tao Te Ching. You can find it here, and I would highly recommend it. http://www.dereklin.com/

Do you have favourite?
Warmly,
Matt

millennium3

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Matt. I have a copy of the work - but my youngest daughter borrowed it some time ago and has not returned it to me - she keeps forgetting to bring it with her when she visits.

In truth I did not refer to it very often and cannot remember which version it is - but it was perfectly acceptable - when it was in my possession! However, my query related to my wish to include a version on a blog that I am currently constructing - which is aimed at the people at large - who will not have any prior knowledge of the work.

There are a number of free versions available - presently I am using this one:

http://www.with.org/tao_te_ching_en.pdf

...but feel uncomfortable with some parts of it - such as the use of the word 'saint' - which, along with some other words and phrases, do not feel quite right.

My hope, when I made the post, was that someone might direct me to a more appropriate 'free' version. I have no doubt that the Stephen Mitchell translation you recommend would fit my own requirements - but probably not those of the audience I have in mind - also, this is not a 'free' version [I should have specified this in my post].

Thanks again for your post - if you have any other suggestions, now that I have been more specific - I would be pleased to know what they are.

Kind regards,

M3

JoeLong

visitor
Reaction score
Wanted to share my appreciation for Stefan Stenudd's version of the Tao Te Ching clear and simple translation.

tacrab

visitor
Reaction score
There are many great translations:
Victor Mair (also has fascinating theories in appendix about links between languages, such as trek, track, doroga, derekh, dao)
Cheng Man-ch'ing "My Words are Easy to Understand"
Ellen Chen
Red Pine (includes samples from commentaries)

bradhogg

visitor
Reaction score
I would like to get a good translator. Could you suggest me a better one. Thanks!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).