...life can be translucent

Menu

chicken or egg ?

C

Candid_X

It has been the common consensus here that the changing hexagram has been called the relating hexagram and that it represents the contextual background of the reading. I have no problem with that view other than it, to me, is seeing it through one eye only. Often it is easier and more helpful to look at it that way. But it is like asking: What is the cause of the effect, and what is the effect of the cause? They each relate to the other so they're both relating hexagrams. But only one is the result of change.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
It has been the common consensus here that the changing hexagram has been called the relating hexagram and that it represents the contextual background of the reading. I have no problem with that view other than it, to me, is seeing it through one eye only. Often it is easier and more helpful to look at it that way. But it is like asking: What is the cause of the effect, and what is the effect of the cause? They each relate to the other so they're both relating hexagrams. But only one is the result of change.

Hi Candid_X,
I see the Primary hex as the one recieved, the stressed lines as a link to the related hex. We are standing around the camp fire and see, 'Hey these turtle shells brought up Bonding (8), yeah but look at that squiggle in line 5, if I use my imagination, I can see hex 2 sort of hanging around this 8.'

Others have used other words, but I see the related hex as a qualitative descriptor of the primary hex, like an Adverb or an Adjective describing the primary Verb or Noun. (or more accurately a This and a What Kind Of.)

Taking hex 8, line 5 (2):
Verb: 8 Bonding, Adjective (2) Receptive, you don't try to lead or force. The line text itself describes a situation of a Bonding that you don't try to force/lead.

Again, if we were standing around the campfire and look down, what we actually see is hex 8, with a squiggle.
We have to use our imaginations to see the 2, that is why I see the 8 as the primary. Put the two meanings together and we get the meaning of the line. So, I think we see an egg, that has a crack or squiggle in the shell.

Last edited:
C

Candid_X

Hi Candid_X,
I see the Primary hex as the one recieved, the stressed lines as a link to the related hex. We are standing around the camp fire and see, 'Hey these turtle shells brought up Bonding (8), yeah but look at that squiggle in line 5, if I use my imagination, I can see hex 2 sort of hanging around this 8.'

Others have used other words, but I see the related hex as a qualitative descriptor of the primary hex, like an Adverb or an Adjective describing the primary Verb or Noun. (or more accurately a This and a What Kind Of.)

Taking hex 8, line 5 (2):
Verb: 8 Bonding, Adjective (2) Receptive, you don't try to lead or force. The line text itself describes a situation of a Bonding that you don't try to force/lead.

Again, if we were standing around the campfire and look down, what we actually see is hex 8, with a squiggle.
We have to use our imaginations to see the 2, that is why I see the 8 as the primary. Put the two meanings together and we get the meaning of the line. So, I think we see an egg, that has a crack or squiggle in the shell.

Hi, Moss Elk,

I like the cracked egg's simile to the tortoise shell image. I have no problem with this way of seeing the arrangement. It's just not the only way to look at it. In fact before Karcher's depiction, as conveyed to Hilary, I had always seen the resulting hex as the... well, resulting hex, and never had a problem making sense of my readings, which began in 1966-67. So you can see why I cringe a little when I hear that "the" way to see the "relating" hexagram is as the context.

Sometimes the primary is just the primary, change lines (or cracks) and all. And the resulting is in fact the result of the changes within primary. That's literally what happens. In terms of interpreting that progression, sometimes it's easier to see the result first, and that way the primary, with changes, describes (as you've stated) how that change came about.

IE: My car broke down. What's wrong with my car? (question) H39.6 Obstruction (in the fuel injector, say). "To proceed: limping. To come: mastery. Auspicious. Fruitful to see great people." (line 6) Take it to an engine mechanic. Might have to have it towed there, or go limping. (Line 6 interpretation). Hex 53 (resulting).

In the example, would it matter which was considered first? This is about making Gradual Progress with help from an expert, in order to remove the obstruction... or about looking askance/squinting at the malfunctioning engine. It's a circular paradigm so it can be understood either way you look at it. I prefer taking it all in and letting my facilities go to work at sorting it out with a level of cognitive freedom, creativity. Structure is helpful, but galling structure can be inhibiting.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
It's just not the only way to look at it.
Sure, I was just expressing what works for me, what brings me the clearest answers. Nothing more.

Was the car problem an actual example?
(I just wanted to know if it was a Gradual build up of some Gunk/Obstruction) ;)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).