...life can be translucent

Menu

What are the finances? 17.6 - 25

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
We are looking to move and have found a house we like. I really wanted to ask "Can we afford it?" (meaning not so much the initial cost but the upkeep) but as that is a yes-or-no question I rephrased it to "what are the finances of this house?" I received 17.6 - 25. Over in Wiki Wing Lisa has posted an experience with this line where she was faced with a pile of chores to do and found she was able to complete them by taking them one at a time. Perhaps for my question this means we will be able to handle the maintenance issues as they come up. Or would this mean constant maintenance issues? Or something else entirely?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Um. I know nothing about houses. Do you have decent information about its condition and what might be required? Is there a way to get an assessment of that? (Not that anyone could say "here's everything it'll need in the next 10 years," but could you know more rather than less?)

A difference between this and what's in WikiWing is I didn't have a choice, so the best I could do was make the best of it. I was able to do that, reasonably easily, which I think is part of 17.6. But you do have a choice, so maybe the reading's encouraging you to weigh your feelings ahead of time. Will it be worth it?

Yi didn't give you anything obviously bad like 28 (stress, strain, overload), so it might be safe to say you'll be able to handle it. So is it worth it, is this something you want to devote yourself to?

Some other thoughts (which of course are guesses!) -

'Seized and bound to it,
And so joining and connected to it,
The king makes offering on the Western mountain.'

• There will be maintenance, but you won't mind because you'll feel the house is worth it. It'll feel like an offering on a sacred mountain, one you're willing to make.

• "Seized and bound" vs. "joined and connected" - wild hypothesizing - you'll have a choice of how to feel? You could feel "seized and bound" (unpleasant burden), or "joined and connected" (worthwhile investment, a sense of dedication).

• A progression? If you buy it, you'll have no choice but to maintain it ("seized and bound"). Maybe at first you'd feel worried or burdened, but as time goes on and things get done and you settle in, you'd feel a true connection and it'll feel more like a sacrament? (So to speak.) Maybe you'll feel like kings there - your home is your castle?

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Wow! Terrific! You've really made sense of 17.6 for me. Funny how a line can read like total goobledy-gook until someone sorts it out and then it's obvious!
"Seized and bound" - of course that would mean if we buy it we're tied to it.
"Joined and connected" - but we become dedicated to the cause:
The house has the potential for being a gathering place for family and friends and thus I think it could be a true blessing if we were to get it and fix it up with that thought in mind. "The king makes the offering" seems to confirm this is a reasonable doable goal.
I was mainly concerned there might be some sort of weirdness no one had considered and wanted the I Ching to point that out but as you say it's not possible to spell out everything we'll need for the next ten years. Perhaps that is covered by 25.Innocence that warns sometimes bad things happen to good people (25.3) but also suggests that with a reasonable amount of prudence all is well.
Thank you again, you really have put my mind at ease.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I hope/assume if Yi meant something like 25.3 it would give you 25.3, rather than hiding it in the relating hexagram...

I do think 17.6 is asking you to decide if the offering or sacrifice will be worth it to you. Say you can afford it - do you want to, do you feel it's an investment worth making? You seem to be saying you think you'd feel "joined and connected" rather than "seized and bound."

25 can mean "The Unexpected," but it's the zhi gua, not your answer...and 25.3 isn't part of the line pathway or anything. (The line pathway is "Change Matrix v2" here on this page.)

17's nuclear is 53, which might mean it will take a long time for the house to be as you want it. 53 can also be about geese finding a suitable place to live. At line 5 they do. (There's line 6 after that, but I've had 53.6 refer to an inheritance, which was a good thing in that experience.)

Speaking ill of hexagram 28 as I was, it appears, also from that I Ching Worksheet page, that 28.6 is the line that's marked in the "telos."

The telos is part of the nuclear story, which I have no experience with at all. Are you in Change Circle or only WikiWing? If you're in CC, Hilary wrote this article about all the "nuclear" things, including nuclear stories.

If you're not, here is the results page of searching for "nuclear stor" in the rest of the site (except the forums). There's some information there, too.

I know nothing about any of that except its existence and reading the articles when they were published. I wish I had time to go through them now, so I'd learn something, too, but unfortunately I don't.

Whatever 28.6 might mean in this, it's not the happiest line in the world -
'Exceeding in wading the river, head underwater.
Pitfall.
No mistake.'

It does say "no mistake," although that can be translated different ways. For example, Bradford Hatcher's sounds even less happy:
'Too much to wade into, immersing one's head
Brutal
Make no mistakes.'

I do have one clear memory where "pitfall, no mistake" really, truly meant it wasn't a mistake. The thing seemed very dangerous and "pitfall-y" ahead of time, but nothing bad actually happened. Maybe the pitfall was my worry beforehand.

In any event, 28.6 was not your answer, 17.6 was.

I think if I was you, with this big decision, I'd try to decipher everything about the reading as best I could, and in real life try to get the best information about the house as possible. Maybe hire your own inspector? (Is that a thing that's done? I know nothing about it.) Maybe try to figure out what sort of "scale" the work might be at - a long series of small projects? A few big projects? A long series of big projects? - and decide if it's worth it, both in money and in time and aggravation. (53's long drawn-out process again.)

Last edited:

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Rosada, I wasn't trying to dump cold water on this with the later posts - I'm sorry if it came across that way. Your answer was 17.6, and my experience I put in WikiWing with that line was a positive one.

But I don't have much more clear experience than that, and of course it's a bad idea to conclude "that's what it always means."

(Also, I'm easily confused. :blush:)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).