...life can be translucent

Menu

I Ching acting as an opponent.

peter2610

visitor
Reaction score
Some months ago I received a reading which included a line whose commentary described the I Ching as acting in opposition to the querent. I thought I read this commentary in the Wilhelm I Ching but I'm not absolutely certain. I've searched the Wilhelm I Ching without success.
If this commentary sounds familiar to any reader, regardless of which book it comes from, would you please post details. Many thanks.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Just so you know someone's seen this...

No ideas about the line, although this is a problem I have myself, fairly often, where all I remember is a bit of commentary.

Are you pretty sure the word was "opposition"? Are any of your I Ching books in electronic form? I guess if I was you I'd start by searching anything that's searchable for "oppo" or similar (to catch "opposition," "opposing," "opponent," "opposite" etc.). You've probably already thought of that.

Also, if by chance you use any translations/commentaries that are online, as LiSe Heyboer's is (I actually don't know of any besides hers that are like that), you could try a Google site search: "site:<domain> oppo" (without the brackets or quotation marks).

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Good suggestion. This might help:
http://www.akirarabelais.com/i/i.html
It's book I of the W/B all on one page, so you can use CTRL+F to search for 'oppos' and 'oppon'. (I haven't found a searchable book III, though.)

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, and a Google search on site:jamesdekorne.com opponent and site:jamesdekorne.com opposition (etc) might get you somewhere, as he includes quotations from several different commentaries.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, and if you find it, could you let us know? Now I'm curious! :)

peter2610

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Hilary and Liselle and sorry about my delay in responding -- it was such a bizarre topic that after a couple of days I thought 'nobody's going to reply to this' and very nearly deleted the post - sorry. I'm fairly sure the term was 'opponent' but I'll check-out all the variations as well as the Google searches - thanks.
I've checked out James Dekorne, Hilary - very interesting site - and I'll check-out your other suggestions.

If I do actually find what I'm after I'll contact both of you. - Best Wishes

Mira72

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Peter...do you mean that the yi itself said in a reading to someone, that it is acting as a opponent or that the theorists and practitioners have said that sometimes the yi acts as an opponent?

If it is the latter...it is possible you might be referring to deKorne's musings somewhere in his site, about the nature of the Self, with respect to the Work (I am using the terms of his system here) where it *expects* you to defy it, or wants you to...

I am not scholar per se. So I won't be able to pull a reference. But I do see and agree with his analysis that sometime, somewhere along the path, it *does* seem that the teacher expects you to rely on your inner knowing rather than the prescriptive.

Is this what you are talking about?

peter2610

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Mira,
it appeared in a commentary to a reading that I had received. Most of my readings (about 90%) are kept on file but in recent months I've been taking readings now and then without any written record -- just to save time. I suspect that it was possibly urging me, as deKorne suggests, to rely on my inner truth rather than repeated renditions from the I Ching but it is something I would like to explore fully, hence my continued search.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).