...life can be translucent

Menu

Timing prediction in the iching

Bratina

visitor
Reaction score
Hey all I've been lurking for a few years on here now, and finally signed up and this is my first post. I am having a little trouble understanding the concept of predicting timing. I asked when something would happen and received hexagram 9 unchanging. According to some of what I've read it will either be in the 4th month of the year or it will be in 3 months. Can anyone explain the "blofeld timing" method to me so I can use it in the future? Thanks in advance!

S

svenrus

I'm almost sure that Blofeld and others got there references from the scheme I've quoted from the book mentioned underneath (1).
On page 40 to 45 in this pdf document You can see the scheme.

----

1) A history of Chinese philosophy, vol. II, by Fung Yu-Lan translated by Derk Bodde, Princeton University Press 1953, page 102 to 118

S

svenrus

To me the subject for Your question is interesting and I think especially this subject "Time and I Ching" can open doors to an understanding of more than just dates, years and so on....

Last edited:

Bratina

visitor
Reaction score
Sorry on my late response, I don't see where it notifies me when I have a response on my post... I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. Thank you for the links. I have looked them over. I am still having confusion over if you get a hexagram with changing lines. For instance I asked again recently when something would happen and got hexagram 37.1.3 >20. is there any indication of year? Does it give a possible time range when there is two hexagrams? I have been using the months considering the Chinese New Year is different.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Timing questions operate on the assumption that the thing in question Is Going to happen.

Assumptions are very often in error.
Keep this in mind.

From my experience Yi usually shows a picture of Right Now and or the patterns/tendencies/likely directions things will go. Or it will tell you other things you didn't ask but could benefit from knowing.
Know this before you try to learn a 'time system'.

S

svenrus

............. For instance I asked again recently when something would happen and got hexagram 37.1.3 >20. is there any indication of year? Does it give a possible time range when there is two hexagrams? ............
Basically I agree with Moss Elk and as I understand it calculating time-predictions is a new phenomena in the history of I Ching, around the second century BC or earlier.
I will not claim that it's possible to predict events with accuracy into future, only once I have experienced an accuracy within weeks, but in the same year... At the time present I'm searching Shao Yung's definitions but as his sourceworks seems to be available only in chinese it's a slow process, searching bits of translations here and there. He got a system that works with years, thousands of years.
Firstly I would work with only one changing- or non - line and if there is a secondary hexagram this will be the hexagram representing the period in which the event/s will occur. If the hexagram is definite this will be the hexagram pointing out the period in which the event/s will occur.
But important to mention for me here is that it's a far from discovered field/aspect and I only work with it out of interest. I wouldn't rely on such predictions but only try to discover and make experience as to find whether there is a way or not.
I read somewhere, and unfortunately can't remember where, that I Ching does not work with the future but with the moment in which the consultant meets it.
(sorry for my english, the reason for the weavering sentences)

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).