...life can be translucent

Menu

Book Review: Iulian Shchutskii's Researches on the I Ching

tacrab

visitor
Reaction score
Researches on the I Ching, by Iulian Shchutskii, is one of my favorite books about the I Ching. It has just been reissued by Princeton University Press as a print-on-demand book. His work, from the pre-WWII period, influenced all later research about the I Ching. Highly readable, highly recommended for its analysis and insights. I've reviewed it here.

Last edited:
C

cjgait

I always found it odd that the Bollingen translation did not include his translation of the Yi. I'm correcting that now, including it in my Zhou Yi Dao, Living the Yi Jing (portions published here: http://templeofthesingularity.blogspot.com/
It's a quite idiosyncratic translation, but it deserves to be published somewhere in English. For those seeking the Russian edition the best is not the original 1960 one, but the 1997 edition edited by leading Russian sinologist A. I Kobzev (ISBN: 5-02-017991-4.

I really don't understand why publishers have to be SO greedy. They are doing JIT publishing. This means the cost of the book, shipped, is no more than $10, and yet they charge over 40. I could see if this was a living author getting royalties, but Shchutskii's work is in the public domain. You can easily get copies of the hardcover starting at $8 on Amazon, so who is is this edition targeted at?

tacrab

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link to your translation!
Prices: Publisher may be recouping various investments in book (translation, licensing, marketing, design, redesign for POD, etc.). This kind of book is highly specialized so not a huge market, so higher price. They may want this to be available to libraries, who might not want to buy a used copy. Author (or heirs) royalties are usually only 8–12%.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).