...life can be translucent

Menu

expected raise

esolo

visitor
Reaction score
For months I was expecting a very decent salary raise. In fact, the raise was promised back in 2016. I just got my paperwork detailing everything and the salary written on it is much lower than what I was OFFERED last year.

I'm SHOCKED. I don't know what to say.

I have asked them about this and I'm waiting for their response.

I asked two questions of the Yi:

Why was I offered so much less?

I think this is telling me to hold my horses and wait. It seems pretty bad now but the end looks good. Just wait it out. Don't make a fuss...yet.

What do I need to know about receiving the higher salary that I was offered last year? (My thought here was...am I going to get that higher salary?)

Did someone make a mistake?

Really, I'm surprised about this because up until now I haven't had any problems with my employer. I also think that offering someone a much higher salary and then drastically reducing it is the absolute worst way to motivate an employee. These are the types of things that make employees just get up and walk out and that's what I'm considering doing.

I'm really shocked because this company seems sensitive to employee morale. Therefore, it really makes me wonder if this lower salary was offered in error. I've sent them a message about this explaining (reminding?) them that I was offered X amount last year and that this seems unfair.

Any ideas?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with your interpretations. 63.2 makes me think this is a temporary setback and 18.1 makes me think it was an error. There's the feeling of being exposed in 63.2, a loss of dignity and I think this situation is undignified for you in that it undermines your value BUT it does look like you needn't make a huge deal out of it as it will be sorted one way or the other. It is good you have bought it to their attention though since you are right this really is not the way to treat an employee you'd like to keep !

esolo

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you, Trojina,

I have written out a lengthy email to them detailing everything that happened, why the higher salary is justified etc. However, I'm not going to send it until I wait for them to explain that the salary offer was made in error...if it indeed was.

esolo

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you, Trojina,

I have written out a lengthy email to them detailing everything that happened, why the higher salary is justified etc. However, I'm not going to send it until I wait for them to explain that the salary offer was made in error...if it indeed was.

O

oceangirl

Hi esolo 63 to me means you've endeavoured to correct the mistake and Line 2 says no needed to get worked up about it, it'll get sorted in your favour if you keep calm.

esolo

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you, oceangirl,

I should know today what's going on. Until I receive a response to my question I'm not going to be submitting my invoice with the minor salary increase. I will submit it with the old salary because I'm not accepting this very minor increase.

...and I have perfect attendance. I've never missed a day! It's inconceivable that they would do this to me. I'm utterly heartbroken.

esolo

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you, oceangirl,

I should know today what's going on. Until I receive a response to my question I'm not going to be submitting my invoice with the minor salary increase. I will submit it with the old salary because I'm not accepting this very minor increase.

...and I have perfect attendance. I've never missed a day! It's inconceivable that they would do this to me. I'm utterly heartbroken.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).