...life can be translucent

Menu

Axioms of the I Ching world view

Leerling

visitor
Reaction score
Any mathematical approach to the world view of the I Ching will involve a great amount of simplification. I am also aware of the eminent role played by intuition in using the I Ching as an oracle. So the construction of a mathematical model of the world view of the I Ching will probably be of little use to divination. A mathematical model could nevertheless highlight some (possibly unexpected) structural properties of the system of hexagrams.

In this tread I will propose axioms that seem to me to capture some of the aspects of the I Ching world view. I will try to keep as close to the I Ching world view as possible, but because mathematics forbids ambiguity some distortion to restore unambiguity will be inevitable.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Yi is itself a map or representative model of the world, everything, and being human.
I do not think it correct to call it a 'world view'. The philosophies and religions that came later draw from it, those could be called world views,
but I do not think Yi itself has a world view, other than a language of representation of natural phenomenon (of which humans are part) and accurate perception of things apparent and hidden.

Leerling

visitor
Reaction score
@ Moss Elk

The term "map or representative model of the world" is all right with me. I am only here using the term "world view" to make it clear that I am not focussing on the oracular aspects of the I Ching.

But the language of the I Ching isn't neutral in the sense that man and political, social and family relations are supposed to play a central role in the world whereas in the western scientific view man is seen as a kind of evolutionary accident irrelevant to the cosmos at large. That made me choose the term "world view", but I'm not a native speaker so the precise connotations of the English words are beyond me.

tacrab

visitor
Reaction score
If you are interested in the Yi as model of world You may want to delve into Richard Smith's many books and articles, including I Ching: A Biography. He covers the intellectual history of the Yi and its place in Chinese society and world. Most recent is Mapping China and Managing the World: Culture, carography and cosmology in late imperial times.

Leerling

visitor
Reaction score
If you are interested in the Yi as model of world You may want to delve into Richard Smith's many books and articles, including I Ching: A Biography. He covers the intellectual history of the Yi and its place in Chinese society and world.

I have already ordered the book, and hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

Most recent is Mapping China and Managing the World: Culture, carography and cosmology in late imperial times.

Also looks interesting, maybe later....

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).