...life can be translucent

Menu

40.3>32 very tough Line 3

Stevep

visitor
Reaction score
How would things unfold between A and B?40.3 to 32.Line 3 is very tough to understand.A man suddenly becomes rich, hence become arrogant and snobbish.Or a poor man was given a carriage?So the poor man should not accept the carriage?Any interpretation is appreciated.

D

diamanda

This line is about not pretending. Someone is poor and carries a burden. This person shouldn't behave as if everything's fine and great. It may also be showing that a person does pretend and then someone else takes advantage of their weakness. 32 shows that this awkward situation has the tendency to persist.

D

diamanda

When one does not pretend, they're still carrying a burden, and they're still going slowly on foot. But at least they manage to avoid harm. The situation continues as it is.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
How would things unfold between A and B?40.3 to 32.Line 3 is very tough to understand.A man suddenly becomes rich, hence become arrogant and snobbish.Or a poor man was given a carriage?So the poor man should not accept the carriage?Any interpretation is appreciated.

I think this line can show up when one hasn't yet adjusted to a situation where one's role/identity/sense of self has changed in a situation. Remember we are in hexagram 40, release, we cannot hold two positions at the same time upon any matter. This could apply externally or internally, come to think of it it's generally both since this line has so much to do with self perception.

What of the robbers here ? Well think of a time you have ever seen someone well off, with a lovely life style being extremely cautious with money, depriving themselves when they don't need to and so on. Others will comment on this. They'll think or say 'he doesn't need to buy the broken biscuits...huh with his money..etc etc' So what they are picking up on is that his outer situation really is not consonant with his behaviour. Same thing happens when a person with little money takes out loans to buy expensive top of the range things. Salesmen might prey on him, he's easy meat and probably he will exude a certain discomfort with his situation.

This extends to , is part of self image that sometimes doesn't catch up with who we are now. If someone is used to living on a very tight budget and their situation suddenly improves and they have a lot of money, they cannot always switch straight away to seeing themselves as a rich person. Likewise a rich person may not be able to adjust to being poor.

I think far far too much judgement is placed on the interpretation of this line. I don't think it means one is snobby or arrogant or anything like that and Yi doesn't say that, it's just pointing out that this is a situation where two realities cannot be sustained at one time without attracting robbers, and robbers can be anything from one's own thoughts to situations/ people. I mean maybe sometimes it might describe snobbish behaviours and so on but that is just one manifestation of how the line might play out.

If you apply this principle that two realities cannot co exist, one has to be released then in terms of relationship a classic case might be someone who sees themselves as single when they aren't or sees themselves as with someone when they aren't. This could, as Diamanda said, means someone is pretending to be what they aren't but it also can be that they are pretending to themselves in their own heads, they just haven't caught up with their own changes.

So the lines show in so many situations times where a person is out of synch with their current perception of their own 'station' in life, hence the rich man/poor man. Neither the rich man in the carriage or the poor one on foot is wrong but if the rich man is still carrying his luggage when he's in a carriage people will see he's new to his wealth or he's not confident. Fundamentally very mixed messages are being given out both to oneself and others.

angelatlantis14

visitor
Reaction score
extremely useful analysis, thanks so much!
I too have so far tended to see this line as a warning against arrogance only, but this really makes more sense...

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Just to add one thing to what Diamanda and Trojina have said so well - you really can see the third line position, can't you (or, at least, I can now that I've read these posts, lol). In line 3, you haven't quite made the transition from the lower trigram to the upper. Or maybe you have in some respects, but not completely (their points about inner and outer perceptions not matching). Hilary often says line 3s are "can I? can I?" or "should I? should I?" lines.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
LiSe says this -

6 at 3: Carrying a burden on the back and also riding a carriage. Inviting robbers to approach. Determination: distress.

Learn how to behave in society. If you don't know what can be done and what not, you will get embarrassed or worse, and you yourself are the only one to blame. At first sight following rules seems less free, but the contrary is true. If you know and employ the right behavior, you dance through the world, and everything will cooperate. If you refuse the lessons, you will step on all toes, and they will step on yours. (Changes to hex.32)

- which, again, points out the confusion caused by not behaving according to established expectations. I read (somewhere that I can't remember, but it was a non-I Ching context) that those sorts of norms and rules are useful "social lubricant."

LiSe also uses the less-judgmental omen word "distress," rather than "shame," or (Bradford Hatcher), "embarrassing."

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Possible synchronicity, haha. Currently on television is a program wherein the normally steady and reliable wife, mother, and homemaker took it upon herself to spend the day shopping and sightseeing like a wealthy lady. This was to the great bewilderment of her family, as she didn't return phone calls, dinner wasn't prepared, and so forth.

However - while, yes, this caused some consternation - what else I'm taking from it is the I Ching's use of the word "constancy" or "persistence." There's surely nothing wrong with living a different role once in a while. The real trouble might come from making a habit of it (possibly also relating hexagram 32).

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Follow up studies of people who have won the lottery reveal that they often cannot hang on to their sudden wealth and are broke again withing 5 years.
The thieves might even be former friends one ought to have been sharing their good fortune with but who instead were abandoned.
The change line to Duration suggests it is very hard for a leopard to change his spots.

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Possible synchronicity, haha. Currently on television is a program wherein the normally steady and reliable wife, mother, and homemaker took it upon herself to spend the day shopping and sightseeing like a wealthy lady. This was to the great bewilderment of her family, as she didn't return phone calls, dinner wasn't prepared, and so forth.

However - while, yes, this caused some consternation - what else I'm taking from it is the I Ching's use of the word "constancy" or "persistence." There's surely nothing wrong with living a different role once in a while. The real trouble might come from making a habit of it (possibly also relating hexagram 32).

Well as you know the monetary thing is just a metaphor for times we might not have caught up with who we have become. Copying my own entry from WikiWing

"Can be wholly an inner experience where old ideas about the self, ingrained habits, self perceptions, may be so hard to let go of once deliverance has arrived that one cannot really make the best use of the new situation (the carriage) for one is still subconsciously acting as if the old situation (of bearing burden on back) were still current. So one is as if out of time with the reality of the better, released situation. This mindset can prevent one making full use of and enjoyment of the deliverance now available. Thus one can rob ones own self of some of the promise of the delivered situation and if projecting an air of unentitlement may encourage others to take advantage of these feelings. It is time to inwardly fully catch up with who you are today and let go of who you were yesterday."

I think it can be quite subtle, an attitude to self. A person may be in a relationship but still subconsciously feel themselves to be 'not the sort of person to have relationships, things like that.

But going back to the original question

How would things unfold between A and B?40.3 to 32.

....I presume A and B are 2 people you know Steve ? So how you apply the ideas discussed here might take some thinking about.

If I had this answer for this question, presuming this is about the relationship between 2 people, well it would be difficult since I don't ask about other people's connections with each other but even if I did I still wouldn't know how to apply 40.3 to this question. I wouldn't know who the answer was about.

Is it clear to you who it's about and what it's saying now ?

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I'll take a shot at it..
I think 40.3 is warning that one of the parties here (maybe both?) have experienced great good fortune in making this connection and now must be careful not to act arrogant or they may attract the resentment of other people and somehow lose their good fortune through their resentment. So possibly they need to be careful about not taking the partner for granted or maybe they need to be aware of a jealous ex or a former friend who might try to stir up trouble.

Stevep

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for the interesting replies everyone.I have no updates yet as of now. I will re-read what everyone has said and try to reconcile to A and B.This has got me really thinking. I will need a quiet place.

Olga Super Star

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Might it not be an answer to you ?

Were you together with one of these people? In that case Yi could be saying that your status has changed and you haven't adapted to your new (single) status

But maybe it could have said it through other lines

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).