...life can be translucent

Menu

8.3.4.5>31 What Are the Effects of Prayer?

Amber_Rose

visitor
Reaction score
Hello again.

So with my mom's cancer under control (so far), my husband and I have been focusing on tackling the lack of employment that is crushing us. My husband had a short term assignment through a temp agency that really helped us cover our expenses, unfortunately the job ended abruptly. He has applied for lots of jobs and gone on several interviews, but they always lead to dead ends despite the recruiter being very enthusiastic about hiring my husband, invariably the CEO has other ideas and either eliminates the open position, or demands to see more candidates.

It's really hard for me to not feel angry over this.

I've begun praying to saints. I do 5 novenas a day. So out of curiosity I asked the I ching what the affect of praying these novenas is.

The answer was 8.3.4.5>31 which is pretty straightforward and clear.

Line 3 surprised me though, I wouldn't think of that line being appropriate in this context.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this in case anyone would find it interesting.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I've begun praying to saints. I do 5 novenas a day. So out of curiosity I asked the I ching what the affect of praying these novenas is.

The answer was 8.3.4.5>31 which is pretty straightforward and clear.

Line 3 surprised me though, I wouldn't think of that line being appropriate in this context.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this in case anyone would find it interesting.

I think now, from my own experience as well as that of others this line simply refers to people/spirits/animals that are not within our concept of 'human' as we are human. From Hilary's translation the line simply says

'Seeking union with non-people'

...and guess what ? Someone once had it here when asking about a cat's perspective, something like that, you might find it in the hexagram search. A cat is not a human :D

I have had the line when asking about spirits. Spirits are no longer sharing my human experience. Saints are also no longer human in your sense of being human. I think the line draws attention to the fact that we must remember we are just a species of well developed ape. We have our limits and our own human nature to contend with. Mostly we have gotten so important on the planet we forget we are just a species with the things in common a species has.

In 8.3 we try to connect with what is beyond, outside of our species. There is nothing wrong with that at all except we won't likely understand them. A person cannot share the experience of being a cat and you cannot understand or share the experience of being the saints you pray to.

Personally I don't think prayer can be too directed to what you want for this reason. You don't have the perspective of that to whom you pray so how can you determine what must happen better than they can ? You can ask for assistance and allow the best way to come through for you which I think is what 8.5 is saying. Don't close prayers in to specific outcomes, allow things to happen don't chase them. BTW I have no idea what a 'novena' is so I am speaking from a position of ignorance regarding that.

BTW I also have had 8.3 plenty of times for people I like perfectly well and have relationship with. What it does indicate though is that they are almost a different species, alien to me, so I won't understand them and that will be a limit in the relationship. One might say 'they are not of your kind'
which is more of a statement of fact than having any judgment. There is no judgment in the line.

Amber_Rose

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you Trojina for your response.

It's funny. I've also received this line in regards to dealing with people who were giving me a hard time and I didn't understand why. I later discovered that they didn't like me because my race is different than their's. "Seeking union with non people." It made me a little sick to my stomach.

A novena is a special Catholic prayer that is said to specific saints (each saint has at least one novena associated with them). The name comes from the Latin word novem, which means nine, because the prayers or rituals are done for nine consecutive days.

Novenas are typically done to ask favors from saints in particularly trying times.

Amber Rose

Amber_Rose

visitor
Reaction score
The anecdote about the cat made me chuckle. I've had the 8.3 reading a few times. I see what you mean about how it just means people who are spirits and such. I've had it when asking about long distance friends I've made through social media sites like Facebook. I think the last time I got this line I was asking a question involving Trump supporters lol

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I've linked to this thread in wikiwing when I just wrote an entry in there.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I've had it when asking about long distance friends I've made through social media sites like Facebook

Brilliant, just copied that into wikiwing too. (hope that's okay, if not I can delete)

Amber_Rose

visitor
Reaction score
That's fine Trojina! I'm glad I was able to maybe offer a new slant on 8.3

It's amazing how much area just one line can cover.

Amber_Rose

visitor
Reaction score
I need to join the Wiki Wing as soon as we have the money to cover the cost of membership.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).