...life can be translucent

Menu

Types of answers.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone care to talk about the kinds of answers you get?
I'll offer these:

1-Direct literal answer. (You know when you get this one.)
2-Descriptive answer. (Show me ____? )
3-Sideways help. (Yes, you are thinking about X, but think about Z for a while. Your toast is burning.)
4-Admonishment. (You aren't listening, etc.)
5-Consolation (Chin up little camper. Make the most of it.)
6-Red light/warning (no/Stop! pitfall that way)
7-Green light/good path (yes/go for it/heaven helps/success)
8-Inspiration. (It is ok to be you. Your best is good enough.)

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
This is a good thread to have. I like your categories. It reminds me of one of Rosada's threads, or the Aha! thread, or Trojina's unchanging-readings threads, where people can add to it as they have examples. (Not that I have one handy at the moment.)

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Er...I should ask if that's what you had in mind, for people to add examples? Or are you looking for something else?

Two categories I might add (and now I do have examples I suppose):

9-prediction
10-help me with a pithy term for this? When a "bad" sounding reading is actually good, and vice versa.

Example of "9" - I asked about selecting an electric blanket (would I be happy with this one from that store, that one from this store, etc.). Yi said not to buy one at all, which made no sense to me, until my cat vomited on the old one not long afterwards. Then Yi was happy to talk about purchases!

Example of "10" - asked how someone who sometimes has trouble with people skills managed to be so successful in her career. 13.2 - 'People in harmony at the ancestral temple. Shame.' Huh? How could something "shameful" be the answer to that? I eventually thought Yi was referring to a community/social organization she belongs to, which possibly helped her develop her social skills enough so it wouldn't be a stumbling block at work, and her other (numerous!) talents could shine through instead.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Possibly "9" and "10" already exist in other categories - if so I'm happy to edit and re-categorize :)

O

oceangirl

Hi all,

Anyone care to talk about the kinds of answers you get?
I'll offer these:

2-Descriptive answer. (Show me ____? )
3-Sideways help. (Yes, you are thinking about X, but think about Z for a while. Your toast is burning.)
4-Admonishment. (You aren't listening, etc.)
5-Consolation (Chin up little camper. Make the most of it.)
6-Red light/warning (no/Stop! pitfall that way)
7-Green light/good path (yes/go for it/heaven helps/success)
8-Inspiration. (It is ok to be you. Your best is good enough.)

All of the above at one time or other

S

svenrus

11: Not to what was asked for but the preliminary for it. ("What to expect when arriving at destination X ?" I Ching: owing to hurricanes the plain has been cancelled. Hex. 64.1 and that sort....)

F

Freedda

I'd add that sometimes the answers or responses aren't exclusive of one another. For example, a response could be giving you a warning of what not to do, but at the same time, also be descriptive and offer inspiration; ot, different people can glean different meanings for the same reading.

I also believe that it can "speak" to us on different levels, for example: maybe revealing something our intellect or rational mind can understand (or needs to hear), or instead, something that speaks to our hearts or our subconscious (which we might know more on a feeling level), or both.

I think that's what makes interpreting the Yi so interesting and personal.

Best, David

drSurya

visitor
Reaction score
13. "It's complicated and you're too undeveloped to get it, so I won't tell."
14. "You fool !"

angelatlantis14

visitor
Reaction score
13. "It's complicated and you're too undeveloped to get it, so I won't tell."
14. "You fool !"

I think this kind of answer only exists in the mind of the querent - they are the ones putting themselves down, not the oracle.
There was a quite interesting thread a while agao, about inwardly supplying the zne of voice of the I ching when it speaks to you - or what you think it speaks to you.

On another point, maybe I misunderstood, but where was the option for just a plain, direct, outright answer to your question ??? :)

Like, will I solve this-and-this probelm, and the answer is "yes, but it will be difficult and take lots of effort?"

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
where was the option for just a plain, direct, outright answer to your question ???*

and your example includes 1 and 2.

I am not trying to say that there are only such and such kinds of answers, I'm just trying to see if there are any types I haven't experienced. (and share with others.)

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I think my "10" is closely related to your "3".

angelatlantis14

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Moss Elk,

thanks for clarifiying. When you wrote "direct / literal" answer I assumed you mean the REALY literal ones, like "where are my glasses'" --> 16 "Look on the CD player" ones!
but since this includes the ones I listed, I have to say, that this type is by far the most frequent I get (or at least that is how I interpret it).

Lilly-La

visitor
Reaction score
I`d add caterogy No 17 'knock-out' (which might be similar to No 3?)

Example: many, many years back I had a relationship with a very kind guy. We never argued and got along but he split after 2 years. I asked the YI if there was a possible reunification.. well, you know that sort of question... I got Hex 54.6 - a 'hollow' relationship. It was straight to the point, a 'knock-out' answer. We liked each other but there was no true inner connection.

Another example could be: Q.; shall i spend my vacation in Spain or in a near-by location as my budget is somehow low? Answer: Hex. Stripping or similar - you are broke before you even get a ticket for train or flight. :)

Cat 17 could be a subcategory to cat 3 - i could live with that ;)

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
# 42: Mirror mirror, You've got spinach in yout teeth.

When the reading mirrors your current mental/emotional disposition.

Last edited:
F

Freedda

What about a category for:

Ask questions or asking questions.

I sometimes find that a response to my query raises questions -- instead of an answer or specifics actions I should take. Not that this is a bad thing! Often exploring questions can teach me more about myself and the situation I'm addressing than a ready-made answer can.

Best, David

F

Freedda

Care to share an example?

In the Reading Circle, I posted my response to a query about a relationship, which came up 27 UC, Nourishment, Corners of the Mouth (providing nourishment), Hungry Mouth.

In brief I said: So, as to 27, you might ask: in what ways does this relationship nourish me, how do we nourish each other, what more might we need to feed the relationship? Or, what is the hunger or thirst I/we have that needs to be fed? (Thought not quite the same, it reminds me a bit of Hilary's questions which she starts out each hexagram with.)

Though I'm sure some might prefer a perfectly fine answer like "this means your relationship is based on nourishing your ... " I find that sometimes asking questions is more soulful way of exploring a reading - what does it mean, how does it feel, ... ? It can give me a more felt sense of meaning, perhaps not a literal one.

Having said that, I could see how this might seem counter-intuitive or even counter-productive. After all, aren't we usually posing a question or query to the Yi in hopes of getting an answer? But perhaps its more like the idea of a Zen Koan (a very broad analogy for sure!), where posing the question leads to more questions, which leads to understanding.

Best, David.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).