...life can be translucent

Menu

55,4,6>22 Facebook

S

SHONNA_D

Will he add me on facebook again?

hexagram 55, lines 4 and 6 to hexagram 22

55,4 The line shows our hidden communication. We have contact but not in social media - not in public.
55,6 He has blocked me and I don't see him through the 'gate of facebook' for 3 years. Misfortune.

Hexagram 22. Interesting...
One of the translations of the hexagram is 'public image'. Could it be a social network -facebook?

* 'He' is an ex friend and partner.

O

oceangirl

Facebook is Facade book Hex 22 and Hex 55 is Denseness and when things are dense one cannot see or hear clearly - hence why I'm so sure.....just my interpretation of course :)

S

SHONNA_D

Aha another translation of Hexagram 22 as "Facade book"! Great point oceangirl. Thank you!

T

Thinkclear

Facebook is Facade book Hex 22 and Hex 55 is Denseness and when things are dense one cannot see or hear clearly - hence why I'm so sure.....just my interpretation of course :)
Which translation do you use that translates Hex 22 as Facade and Hex 55 as Denseness ?
Hex 55: Wilhelm/Baynes: Abundance/Fullness. LiSe: the garrison-city of Wen
Hex 22: Wilhelm/Baynes: Grace. LiSe: Flower Power

If I use Wilhelm/Baynes' or LiSe's translation my interpretation would be different than yours

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think it would be very different at all. There are almost as many names for hexagrams as there are translators and if one looks through them it is is easy to see the common theme.

Hilary calls 22 'Beauty', Bradford calls it 'Adorning'. I think 'Flower Power' is Lise in a whimsical moment, she changed that from something else, maybe 'herbs in a pot' and she will probably change it again. I think 'facade' is also a useful word when thinking about 22 but bear in mind no one word can really cover the whole meaning of a hexagram. I don't know which translator used 'facade' as a hexagram title for 22, thought it might be Ewald but he uses 'beautifying'. Also 'density' is also a word I associate with 55 as in so many things coming at once, there is an eclipse, it's hard to see and so on. All of those meanings are in Lise's translation and commentary as well as Wilhelm's.

Also it doesn't have to be a hexagram title in any book, perhaps Liss just sees 22 as 'facade'.

Take a load of titles for 22

Grace...not a good title IMO (although I like Wilhelm's writing very much)
Adorning
Adornment
Beautifying
Beauty

...it's all about the presentation of things and more besides. trigrams fire on mountain, images flickering against the mountain, shallowness of perception but not always in a bad way, the use of image, the necessity of it

What you call Lise's 'translation' BTW, or rather what you quote of it is very often her commentary. The translation is the actual words of Yi as translated by someone, the commentary is the writers ideas and thoughts about what these mean. Commentaries whilst useful are always limited, may not fit our situation.

So copying from her site

Translation​
9 at 4: Feng was so obscured at noon the Dipper was seen. Meeting the lord of Yi. Auspicious.

Commentary​
Sometimes times or moods are so gloomy that nothing seems to be possible. Meet your enemy! He might be the one you need. Sometimes the very things which hold us back contain the energy which can help us to gather the strength to go on.

Looking through Lise's site came across artwork by Adele Aldridge for 22, I like the picture for 22.1

http://www.ichingmeditations.com/ching-hexagrams/hexagram-22-grace-adornment/

...but if you scroll down for the picture for 22.2 it looks so much like Facebook..or what I imagine of it, I'm not in it

She writes for 22

What we wear is not our soul.
Our clothes are symbols of decoration we choose that reflect our position in society.
Show your inner beauty with tranquility.
Cultivate the ability to enjoy life with grace and elegance.
The brightness of fire illuminates the still mountain
creating images we call art.

Form follows function.

'Form follows function'.. You make things look like how they will best serve your purposes. It's necessary to have a form of course but it must never be taken as all that there is of us.

Last edited:

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I think "Facade-book" is a very clever phrase for "Facebook as hexagram 22" :rofl: - as Shonna said, "public image." It's people's public face, how they choose to present themselves on the internet. Something of who they are, but not a deep, complete picture. How complete it is depends on the person of course. Some people are pretty honest on social media, for others it's more a highlight reel.

The lines could mean several different things, I think, depending on how Yi's answering. Is the answer from his point of view, what he's thinking? Is it advice to you? Is it a description of the present, or a prediction? Some combination of all of that? It's hard to tell, possibly because you asked a yes/no question, which isn't the best for Yi, since it has no way to just say "yes" or "no."

'Feng is screened off
At midday, seeing the Dipper.
Meeting your hidden lord,
Good fortune.'

A 'hidden lord' is something or someone you see as an enemy or threat, but which can actually be helpful, if you engage with it: "Meeting your hidden lord, Good fortune."

From your point of view, it's easy to see "being kept off his Facebook" as the enemy or threat - it's what you're worried about - but is the line talking to you, or about him and his motives? Maybe for some reason he's concerned about having you on Facebook - since you're ex-partners, maybe he just doesn't want the world at large to know you're still in contact? I can see how "ex-partners, but still friends" could perhaps be a tricky balance.

Or some other angle? Hard to tell. But at any rate, Yi still says, "Good fortune."

'At Feng, in his hut,
Screening off his home,
Peeping through his door.
In solitude, without people,
For three years sees no-one.
Pitfall.'

The story behind this is King Wu having a choice after his father died: hide away in mourning for the traditional period, or accept the mandate to proceed with war? (They did successfully overthrow the oppressive Shang dynasty.)

So it's basically saying that hiding away is "pitfall." Some possibilities:
  • You're in contact in real life, just not on Facebook - don't withdraw from the relationship you do have because of this social media stuff
  • The lines might be a progression - maybe whatever his reasons are for keeping your relationship hidden (55.4), he'll "engage" with them and change his mind (55.6)
  • 55.4 could be "your" line, and 55.6 "his" line. In other words - perhaps you could gently engage with him about the social media issue (55.4), and maybe he'll start to see how keeping you off his Facebook is hurting your relationship (55.6). Maybe then this problem could strengthen your relationship (55.4 - taking the "hidden lord" into your own service), because you've had a discussion and perhaps addressed some deeper issues?
  • Maybe it would go the other way - engaging with him about it might clear the air, but maybe it would end the relationship rather than strengthen it. That might still be "good fortune" for you, if dealing with this "hidden lord" would clarify things and you wouldn't be in limbo.
  • or many other possibilities. I really don't know; these are just some ideas and they could be way off base.

You might proceed by first of all trying to consider all the different angles Yi could be speaking from, and then possibly ask Yi a follow-up question. Such as, "What if I talk to him about this?" or "What attitude should I take towards being blocked from his Facebook" or (this might be a good one, as it's a "bigger" question) "What is the potential in this relationship?" Or something else - whatever question you feel is most important.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
(Cross-posted with Trojina. Yes, 45 minutes later. It takes me a while to write a post, and I hardly ever remember to look to see what may have happened in the meantime. :rolleyes: I think we're mostly talking about different things about Shonna's reading, but in case anything I said sounds tone-deaf, that's why...)

T

Thinkclear

What you call Lise's 'translation' BTW, or rather what you quote of it is very often her commentary. The translation is the actual words of Yi as translated by someone, the commentary is the writers ideas and thoughts about what these mean. Commentaries whilst useful are always limited, may not fit our situation.

So copying from her site

Translation​

Commentary​
:duh::duh: How stupid that I didn't know that after 30 years using the Yi :rofl::rofl:

Sorry that as a non native speaker I use the wrong word, but with the word 'translation' I mean LiSe's version. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
I think the 55.6 says he is isolating himself.

Conversely, it could be a suggestion for you to get off facebook and more into real life. Which do you feel is correct?

Last edited:
O

oceangirl

To me Hexagram 22 is about outer appearance......like makeup or decorating your home with beautiful things but underneath it's still you or it's still a room with four walls.....so many put on the illusion of I'm great in whatever way they choose on Facebook - it's all a Facade. I've been calling Facadebook for years now!!

S

SHONNA_D

'Feng is screened off
At midday, seeing the Dipper.
Meeting your hidden lord,
Good fortune.'

A 'hidden lord' is something or someone you see as an enemy or threat, but which can actually be helpful, if you engage with it: "Meeting your hidden lord, Good fortune."

From your point of view, it's easy to see "being kept off his Facebook" as the enemy or threat - it's what you're worried about - but is the line talking to you, or about him and his motives? Maybe for some reason he's concerned about having you on Facebook - since you're ex-partners, maybe he just doesn't want the world at large to know you're still in contact? I can see how "ex-partners, but still friends" could perhaps be a tricky balance.

Or some other angle? Hard to tell. But at any rate, Yi still says, "Good fortune."

'At Feng, in his hut,
Screening off his home,
Peeping through his door.
In solitude, without people,
For three years sees no-one.
Pitfall.'

The story behind this is King Wu having a choice after his father died: hide away in mourning for the traditional period, or accept the mandate to proceed with war? (They did successfully overthrow the oppressive Shang dynasty.)

So it's basically saying that hiding away is "pitfall." Some possibilities:
  • You're in contact in real life, just not on Facebook - don't withdraw from the relationship you do have because of this social media stuff
  • The lines might be a progression - maybe whatever his reasons are for keeping your relationship hidden (55.4), he'll "engage" with them and change his mind (55.6)
  • 55.4 could be "your" line, and 55.6 "his" line. In other words - perhaps you could gently engage with him about the social media issue (55.4), and maybe he'll start to see how keeping you off his Facebook is hurting your relationship (55.6). Maybe then this problem could strengthen your relationship (55.4 - taking the "hidden lord" into your own service), because you've had a discussion and perhaps addressed some deeper issues?
  • Maybe it would go the other way - engaging with him about it might clear the air, but maybe it would end the relationship rather than strengthen it. That might still be "good fortune" for you, if dealing with this "hidden lord" would clarify things and you wouldn't be in limbo.
  • or many other possibilities. I really don't know; these are just some ideas and they could be way off base.

You might proceed by first of all trying to consider all the different angles Yi could be speaking from, and then possibly ask Yi a follow-up question. Such as, "What if I talk to him about this?" or "What attitude should I take towards being blocked from his Facebook" or (this might be a good one, as it's a "bigger" question) "What is the potential in this relationship?" Or something else - whatever question you feel is most important.

Thank you liselle for sharing your thoughts.
I didn't know that the hidden lord could be one that you see as enemy. We both see each other as enemy. I put the blame on him, he puts the blame on me.
I believe that both lines are referred to me but anyway we will see if he will ever unblock me.

S

SHONNA_D

I think the 55.6 says he is isolating himself.

Conversely, it could be a suggestion for you to get off facebook and more into real life. Which do you feel is correct?

Hi Moss Elk. Thank you for posting. I think the isolation shows that he has blocked me and I can't see him at the gate of facebook anymore.

S

SHONNA_D

-update-

He added me on January and we are still 'friends' on facebook. So the mention of 3 years on line 55.6 wasn't actually 3 years but 3 months and the hexagram 22 is indeed
Facadebook
!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).