...life can be translucent

Menu

Paul Fendos, 'The Book of Changes: a modern adaptation and interpretation'

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's what landed in my email inbox today.

The first sentence of blurb is off-putting - so someone needs to breathe new life into Yi to make it relevant to the present day? I hadn't noticed. But the rest, and the sample (which sadly doesn't include any actual translation/interpretation) look genuinely interesting.

Does anyone know the book or its author?

'The Book of Changes:
A Modern Adaptation and Interpretation'

by Paul G. Fendos
Minnesota State System

The Book of Changes: A Modern Adaptation and Interpretation attempts to breathe new life into the Book of Changes by making it relevant to the present time and day. It does so by using archaeological evidence to trace the origins of the Book of Changes, starting with numeric trigrams and hexagrams, making its way up to early divination manuals, and ending with the oldest extant version of the Books of Changes—usually referred to as the ‘received version.’ It also explains the development of the Book of Changes from a divination manual into a philosophical text dealing with change. However, its main focus is on delineating sixty-four patterns of change in the Book of Changes, patterns based on novel metaphorical interpretations of the line texts in the Book of Changes that serve as the foundation for a new handbook on change.

Each metaphorical interpretation consists of 1) a hexagram and the Chinese character associated with it, 2) a ‘description’ of the hexagram, 3) the Chinese characters for the line texts, 4) translations of the line texts, 5) a general interpretation of the line texts based on those translations, 6) and some explanatory notes that attempt to clarify each interpretation. Translations and the interpretations based on those translations reference Traditional and Modernist understandings of the line text materials, ancient texts/dictionaries/lexicons from the period when the Book of Changes was compiled, and the ideas of the author as he works to create a new Chinese ‘philosophy of change,’ complete with examples of how it can be adapted in modern-day life.

The clear and concise general introduction to the Book of Changes that is incorporated into this work, the many interpretations of the line texts contained in it, and a popular philosophical content make this book a welcome addition to the field and will attract interested scholars and teachers, engage business people or those looking to better understand Chinese culture, and appeal to those focused on spirituality and holistic living.

https://vernonpress.com/book/383

(12% Discount using WRFLPR12 at checkout)

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
it's all squiggles and I'm using Google Chrome

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score

:confused: but you have told us in the thread title it is Paul Fendos

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
oh it's a review by Paul Fendos :duh:

oh no it isn't

I don't find it terribly clearly written, but then for me the second paragraph is unreadable for squiggles anyway ...actually I can't figure out what is what here. I don't understand.

Someone called Paul Fendos sent you a sample of an unnamed book ?

How bizarre. How can you buy it if you don't know who wrote it. Discount at checkout it says...well if you get to the checkout I guess you'd know what the book was called....what ???

charly

visitor
Reaction score
Here's what landed in my email inbox today.

The first sentence of blurb is off-putting - so someone needs to breathe new life into Yi to make it relevant to the present day? I hadn't noticed. But the rest, and the sample (which sadly doesn't include any actual translation/interpretation) look genuinely interesting.

Hi, Hilary:

Of course, I also believe that the Changes is still alive. The back cover says that the new book only "attempts to breathe new life..." About "making it [the Changes] relevant to the present time and day", it sounds a little excessive, but, nobody's perfect, all book needs a selling proposition, an appealing promise.

I miss a sample for seeing how or at what extent the promise is fulfilled. We can only give a glance to the translation/interpretation through the proposed translation for the hexagram names:

No. Chinese _________ Wilhelm ___________________________________ Fendos
_____________________ ___________________________________________ ______________________________

1 ___ 乾 __ qián ____ The Creative_______________________________ 1. Expansion
2 ___ 坤 __ kūn _____ The Receptive _____________________________ 2. Acquiescence
3 ___ 屯 __ chún ____ Difficulty at the Beginning _______________ 3. Initial Difficulty
4 ___ 蒙 __ méng ____ Youthful Folly ____________________________ 4. Youthful Ignorance
5 ___ 需 __ xū ______ Waiting (Nourishment) _____________________ 5. Danger
6 ___ 訟 __ sòng ____ Conflict __________________________________ 6. Conflict
7 ___ 師 __ shī _____ The Army __________________________________ 7. Waging Battle
8 ___ 比 __ bǐ ______ Holding Together (Union) __________________ 8. Mutual Trust

9 __ 小畜 _ xiǎo chù _ The Taming Power of the Small ____________ 9. Limited Sway
10 __ 履 __ lǚ ______ Treading (Conduct) _______________________ 10. Correct Conduct
11 __ 泰 __ tài _____ Peace ____________________________________ 11. Harmonious Prosperity
12 __ 否 __ pǐ ______ Standstill (Stagnation)___________________ 12. Stagnation
13 _ 同人 _ tóng rén _ Fellowship with Men _____________________ 13. Community
14 _ 大有 _ dà yǒu __ Possession in Great Measure ______________ 14. Wealth
15 __ 謙 __ qiān ____ Modesty __________________________________ 15. Humility
16 __ 豫 __ yù ______ Enthusiasm _______________________________ 16. Excess

17 __ 隨 __ suí _____ Following ________________________________ 17. Following the Greater Good
18 __ 蠱 __ gǔ ______ Work on What Has Been Spoiled (Decay)_____ 18. Honoring Parents
19 __ 臨 __ lín _____ Approach _________________________________ 19. Overseeing
20 __ 觀 __ guān ____ Contemplation (View)______________________ 20. Contemplation
21 _ 噬嗑 _ shì kè __ Biting Through ___________________________ 21. Reckoning
22 __ 賁 __ bì ______ Grace ____________________________________ 22. Proper Demeanor
23 __ 剝 __ bō ______ Splitting Apart __________________________ 23. Self-Inflicted Harm
24 __ 復 __ fù ______ Return (The Turning Point) _______________ 24. Return to Rectitude

25 _ 無妄 _ wú wàng _ Innocence (The Unexpected) _______________ 25. The Unexpected (Chance)
26 _ 大畜 _ dà chù __ The Taming Power of the Great ____________ 26. Greater Control
27 __ 頤 __ yí ______ The Corners of the Mouth (Nourishment)____ 27. Subsistence
28 _ 大過 _ dà guò __ Preponderance of the Great _______________ 28. Over Extension
29 __ 坎 __ kǎn _____ The Abysmal (Water)_______________________ 29. Dangerous Pitfalls
30 __ 離 __ lí ______ The Clinging (Fire)_______________________ 30. The Passing of Time
31 __ 咸 __ xián ____ Influence (Wooing) _______________________ 31. Sway (Influence)
32 __ 恆 __ héng ____ Duration _________________________________ 32. Social (Moral) Constancy

33 __ 遯 __ dùn _____ Retreat __________________________________ 33. Withdrawal
34 _大壯_ dà zhuàng _ The Power of the Great ___________________ 34. Overbearing Power
35 __ 晉 __ jìn _____ Progress _________________________________ 35. Advancing Interests
36 _ 明夷 _ míng yí _ Darkening of the Light ___________________ 36. Concealing Oneself
37 _ 家人 __ jiā rén _ The Family (The Clan)____________________ 37. Family Order
38 __ 睽 __ kuí ______ Opposition ______________________________ 38. Estrangement
39 __ 蹇 __ jiǎn _____ Obstruction _____________________________ 39. Encountering Obstacles
40 __ 解 __ xiè ______ Deliverance _____________________________ 40. Relief from Obstacles

41 __ 損 __ sǔn _____ Decrease _________________________________ 41. Cutting Back (Decrease)
42 __ 益 __ yì _______ Increase ________________________________ 42. Intensifying Effort (Increase)
43 __ 夬 __ guài _____ Breakthrough (Resoluteness) _____________ 43. Resolute Action
44 __ 姤 __ gòu ______ Coming to Meet __________________________ 44. Self Control
45 __ 萃 __ cuì ______ _____ Gathering Together (Massing) ______ 45. Anxiety
46 __ 升 __ shēng ____ Pushing Upward __________________________ 46. Advancement (Promotion)
47 __ 困 __ kùn ______ Oppression (Exhaustion) _________________ 47. Affliction
48 __ 井 __ jǐng _____ The Well ________________________________ 48. The Source (Well)

49 __ 革 __ gé _______ Revolution (Molting) ____________________ 49. Change
50 __ 鼎 __ dǐng _____ The Caldron _____________________________ 50. Political Power
51 __ 震 __ zhèn _____ Arousing (Shock, Thunder) _______________ 51. Shock
52 __ 艮 __ gèn ______ Keeping Still (Mountain) ________________ 52. Restraint
53 __ 漸 __ jiàn _____ Development (Gradual Progress)___________ 53. (Gradual) Exposure
54 _ 歸妹 _ guī mèi __ The Marrying Maiden _____________________ 54. Binding Relationships
55 __ 豐 __ fēng _____ Abundance (Fullness) ____________________ 55. Abundance
56 __ 旅 __ lǚ _______ The Wanderer ____________________________ 56. Wandering

57 __ 巽 __ xùn ______ The Gentle (The Penetrating, Wind) ______ 57. Compliance
58 __ 兌 __ duì ______ The Joyous (Lake) _______________________ 58. Expropriation
59 __ 渙 __ huàn _____ Dispersion (Dissolution) ________________ 59. Dissolution
60 __ 節 __ jié ______ Limitation ______________________________ 60. Limitations
61 _ 中孚 _ zhōng fú _ Inner Truth _____________________________ 61. Inner Trust
62 _ 小過 _ xiǎo guò _ Preponderance of the Small ______________ 62. Lowering Expectations
63 _ 既濟 _ jì jì ____ After Completion ________________________ 63. Completed Action
64 _ 未濟 _ wèi jì ___ Before Completion _______________________ 64. Incompleted Action

[FOR CORRECT VIEW OF THE TABLE AND CHINESE CHARACTERS USE "THREAD TOOLS > SHOW PRINTABLE VERSION" OR GO HERE https://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/printthread.php?t=25497&pp=10&page=1]

Sources:
For Wilhelm; Yellowbridge, https://www.yellowbridge.com/onlinelit/i-ching.php
For Fendos: Vernon Press, Download sample chapter, https://vernonpress.com/file/5280/6b65b2cd90ae7b1567a30550763cbf7b/1515670983.pdf

For more information:
Vernon Press:
1515495320.jpg

https://vernonpress.com/book/383

Fendos' page:
pgf2012b.jpg

http://paulgfendos.com/

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Book-Changes-Adaptation-Interpretation-Philosophy/dp/1622733274/

All the best,

Charly

Last edited:

tacrab

visitor
Reaction score
Here's his dissertation, on first century BCE Yi scholar:

Fendos, George Jr. Fei Chih’s Place in the Development of I-Ching Studies. Doctoral dissertation in
Chinese Studies: University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI: 1988. 864 pp.

tacrab

visitor
Reaction score
Try interlibrary loan. Or you can buy through Proquest, I believe.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I took a leap (followed Harmen's example) and emailed the publisher back, saying this was interesting, could I see a sample of the translation? And in return they've kindly sent me a review copy of the whole book (with firm instructions not to share it, sorry). I've just been briefly skimming it, and my first impression is that the author has taken lots of excellent scholarship and somehow turned it all into an oddly boring interpretation. But this is just a first impression, and I should probably have a go at writing a full review.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).