...life can be translucent

Menu

Career question 16.5>45

G

gnichi

Dear all,

It’s been a while since I posted a question. The background is that I worry about not being able to continue in my profession, which is within the performing arts. It’s difficult to get a job, and I worry about the future and my financial situation getting worse. So I asked:

Will I work in this profession until my retirement?
Answer: 16.5>45

I think the answer is saying: “Yes, you will hang in there, but things won’t get easier.” Or is it just talking about me? That I will continue to worry, but I’ll manage?

I would be grateful if anyone has any additional insights about this. For example what would the relating hexagram 45 mean in this context?

My best regards

equinox

visitor
Reaction score
I think the answer is saying: “Yes, you will hang in there, but things won’t get easier.” Or is it just talking about me? That I will continue to worry, but I’ll manage?

I think your first and your second interpretation are somehow interchangable? If you will continue to worry, things won't get easier. If things won't get easier, you will continue to worry.
I think outer circumstances and inner attitude shouldn't be regarded seperate from each other, as you surely know, so I don't think it is 'just talking about you'.

I would be grateful if anyone has any additional insights about this. For example what would the relating hexagram 45 mean in this context?

I think it could mean that you have to gather your strength all the time in order to function?

Did you ever think about finding a second, additional profession, so that you can stay in the performing arts without feeling so pressured all the time?

equinox

visitor
Reaction score
I think your first and your second interpretation are somehow interchangable? If you will continue to worry, things won't get easier. If things won't get easier, you will continue to worry.
I think outer circumstances and inner attitude shouldn't be regarded seperate from each other, as you surely know, so I don't think it is 'just talking about you'.

The editing is not working right now, so I'll add some thoughts in a second post. I guess you ask yourself, if this result is giving a picture of your situation in total or if it is 'just' mirroring your inner thoughts and feelings while in the outside world everything is more or less okay? Nobody can tell this but you.

If you come to raise this question, then I believe you should think about to which degree your worries influence the situation negatively, or vice versa, to which degree a difficult outer situation is hard to overcome and therefore influences your wellbeing? As you already hinted.
Maybe it is a crucial and fruitful time now to find out about the interplay of outer and inner circumstances in your life.

EDIT: I know, I am not saying anything that could help you to instantly find out if you'll stay in your profession until retirement or not. But I think that question is really big and I am not sure if the answer of the Yi is valid until you quit working. I think if you heart is in the performing arts, but it is to difficult to make a living of it, then you should think about finding a third way.

Last edited:
G

gnichi

Dear equinox,

Thank you for your reply!

I realise its a "big" question. And what I would like to figure out from Yis answer is, if its an answer about my future working circumstances or, as you say, "just" mirroring my inner worry. I was interested in recieving others analysis on this, since my own is tainted by my hopes and fears.

I asked Yi, beacause I have been thinking, as you suggest, about maybe getting another education, which is a difficult task at my age, so I can get another job and stop worrying about my financial situation. The answer from Yi, makes me think that I will not change profession, that I will continue doing what Im doing now, but that the struggle to find jobs will remain.

There is another interpretation of line 16.5, that I dont know if I should take into account. That maybe the fact that I worry, and keep searching for assignements, is what will keep me afloat. "Wilhelm/Baynes: A man is under constant pressure, which prevents him from breathing freely. However, this pressure has its advantage – it prevents him from consuming his powers in empty enthusiasm. Thus constant pressure can actually serve to keep one alive."

I dont know what to think of this. If anyone has more input, Im happy to hear other ideas.

Greatful for your insight equinox! Thank you!

Last edited:

ernobe

visitor
Reaction score
It is just mirroring your inner worry, as if you had asked "What will it take for me to retire from this job?". And the answer was along the lines of "curb your enthusiasm, you will retire one way or another".

G

gnichi

Thank you ernobe, for your reply.

Does anyone here have a suggestion about how I should frame this question, about my working situation? I would like to know, if I should get another education and search for another kind of job, or if I should stay in this profession. Its a big, life altering decision. I worry mostly about my financial situation.

Grateful for any suggestions!

ernobe

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you ernobe, for your reply.

You're welcome.

I worry mostly about my financial situation.

This being the case, it will show up in the reading no matter what you ask. Better if you add it consciously in the question. Think of something you would like to study and ask "Will this be more profitable than my current job?".

G

gnichi

Thank you ernobe, I will think about this!

I guess it’s also difficult leaving a job that I like, and identify with. So it’s not just about making a living, it’s also about liking what I do, and my job being a part of who I am.

Grateful for this community, thank you for taking the time to reply!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).