...life can be translucent

Menu

Timeprogress in the hexagram - a draft

S

svenrus

I'm working on a little article on how I see time and our position in relation to the hexagram.

Link

iams girl

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Svenrus, the way you've written things creates an almost 3D or holographic image of the hexagram for me, really interesting.

S

svenrus

I preferr PDF as it's easier to me adding illustrations. I have added postings here before using PDF and I'm awere that my english grammar sucks, to put it in the soft way. This time I try to dubblecheck the grammar beside the spelling.
Here's an update: LINK

S

svenrus

So far for now

Googletranslation are invented by the devil, no sorry, but I think I've corrected my article by the help of several dictionaries others than Google translator. And the english spell- and grammar checker in my OpenOffice editor can't be valued too high.

I would be very pleased if someone who finds errors will tell.

There's a lot more to add to this draft and I'm not sure if it's OK the way it is.

I've wrote it only for You here on Hilary's site.

PDF

S

svenrus

I Ching older than king Wen (?)

It's important for me to notice that I'm not a sinologist, as I also have pointed out in my profile here; I don't understand one chinese word and my pdf are based only on westerners translations.
When I place king Wen later in the origin of I Ching I base it on what James Legge refers to from The book of History (the Shu): ".... In the Shû King, in a document that purports to be of twenty-third century B.C., divination by means of the tortoise-shell is mentioned (The Shû II, ii, 18); and somewhat later we find that method continuing, and also divination by the lineal figures, manipulated by means of the stalks of a plant, the Ptarmica Sibirica, which is still cultivated on and about the grave of Confucius, where I have myself seen it growing (The Shû V, iv, 31)...." (ibid p. 7) and as divination with the stalks of yarrows are so nearly connected with I Ching I dare claiming that king Wen only compiled the I Ching - that he did not compose it....
You could also see the pdf as an "aperitifer :rolleyes: " for a wider look on the hexagram (than "just" a hexagram)

Beside that I'm still not sure whether my english grammar are correct or not.

Last edited:
S

svenrus

(couldn't correct it: "(ibid p. 7)" the link is on my pdf on page 7...... )

S

svenrus

On page four in THIS draft I've added: ".....The Ten Wings are ".....known since Later Han (AD 25 - 220)....." [Richard Rutt, ZhouYi a bronze age document, Part III, Appendix. There are other datings thou; see Teaching the I Ching, Geoffrey Redmond and Tze-Ki Hon, Oxford University Press 2014 Ch. 6, p. 141]"
According to Richard J. Smith, Fathoming the Cosmos and Ordering the World... , University of Virginia Press 2008, the Ten Wings were added roughly from the fifth to the second century BCE. (ibid. notes 4)

d_squared

visitor
Reaction score
There is another way to view time, events and progression of hexagrams. It is perhaps a little radical and goes against our common perceptual experience, but entirely logical and consistent, at least from a theoretical perspective.

Our individual awareness is something similar to the illuminated circle of spotlight on a dark stage, short in range and small in diameter . It has to be moved from one corner to another to reveal what else that has been arranged in place.
Likewise, all possibilities of events in life can be regarded as already exist, however, it takes "time" for our awareness to capture the next portion of "reality" that its modest capacity can hold and process . So "time" is effectively the result of our own limitation in absorbing what is ever ready and available for our selective consumption . In other words, "time" is not an independent property existing by itself outside of our perception .

There are 64 hexagrams in total, each can change and transform into a different hexagram as one or more of its lines alter state . Overall there exist 4096 possible occurrences in the casting of a hexagram. They are all there, conceptually, but which one do we see depends on how our own awareness shines and moves . Once taken shape, a cast hexagram portrays not so much some external condition, but more likely a faithful reflection of the internal state of the person who instigates it .
:)

S

svenrus

Thank You d_squared,

An interesting view.
Pitch-black Time surrounding us and only this spot ie our consciousness as limited as it is, right ?

d_squared

visitor
Reaction score
Pitch-black time ?
On the contrary, it seems more like we have been totally immersed in a blinding brightness of some sort which prevents us from seeing things as they really are .

There is a glaring fact which should have waken us up everyday about the illusory nature of time (but we keep ignoring it , in order to continue a "normal" life with the rest of the world) :

🌤

The Sun
– does it ever rise ? and does it really set ?
Or are we the ones that go round and round
and for our convenience we choose to forget ?

Time
– does it really fly ? does it ever pass ?
Against the flowing sand of our mind
it stands like an hour-glass.

Our soul
– will it ever die ? since when was it born ?
A bubbling fragment of some fractal reality ?
lifetime after lifetime dream-borne .

Our questions,
– can test the faith in things sublime.
Shall we wait for the answers to come …
some day , in the fullness of time ?

🌝

S

svenrus

"Pitch-black time ? "
Well, Pitch-black Time maybe were the wrong expression. I mean't the Future are completely Unknown and in this sense the Time are Pitch-black; sort of: our attention, our awareness are limited to the goals we're setting; being hungry to example, when walking on a street Our attention would mainly catch places where food was available etc.
"On the contrary, it seems more like we have been totally immersed in a blinding brightness of some sort which prevents us from seeing things as they really are ."
- and here I can only agree.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).