...life can be translucent

Menu

What do I need to know about my immortal soul 50.3>64

steve

visitor
Reaction score
Hi

I have been doing some deep thinking about things.

Assuming there is an immortal soul, what do I need to know about it?

The advice appears to be telling me its like an old train of thought or things in the past dont matter as much as the present.

What do you think I am being advised?

Steve

ernobe

visitor
Reaction score
According to the method of interpretation I'm developing, reading the lines of wood trigrams includes the corresponding line in the resulting hexagram. So in your situation I would read also 64.3, which in Legges' version is,

3. The third SIX, divided, shows its subject, with (the state of things) not yet remedied, advancing on; which will lead to evil. But there will be advantage in (trying to) cross the great stream.

[Smaller Symbolism] 3. '(The state of things is) not yet remedied. Advancing will lead to evil:'—the place (of the line) is not that appropriate for it.

[Legge] The Khang-hsi editors say that it is very difficult to understand what is said under line 3; and many critics suppose that a negative has dropt out, and that we should really read that 'it will not be advantageous to try and cross the great stream.'

To "cross the great stream", in my opinion, is akin to the spiritual birth (in this life) of Western religions. Part of Wilhelms' comments on this line are,

A new situation must be created; one must engage the energies of able helpers and in this fellowship take the decisive step-cross the great water. Then completion will become possible.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I see you as being advised that the most important thing for you to know about your eternal soul is that it is housed in a temporal body which must be taken care of.

Just as 50. describes the vessel for the sacred offering, the body is the vessel for the soul. 50.4 tells us that when something is not right with the vessel it limits one's ability to enjoy the contents. Likewise, we need to keep our body in good repair in order to fully express our spiritual intention.

I see 64. as indicating that the soul, consciousness, goes on between lifetimes and that it is these times in between lifetimes that we plan and prepare for the next one and if we do not complete what we set out to do in one lifetime - if the handles of the ting fail Before Completion - not to worry because ultimately after many lifetimes, rain storms, we will ultimately succeed.

Last edited:

steve

visitor
Reaction score
i am still not sure what the advice is or what I am being told exactly.
I suppose it not your average question.

Steve

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
You are being told that your soul is indeed immortal and lives on and even when the temporal body is old and useless like a ting with broken handles, life/consciousness continues. It is never "completed".

50.4 The handles of the ting can represent the ears and difficulty in hearing - so it's interesting you aren't "hearing" an answer. I also wonder if 50.4 is saying you are feeling your current circumstances do not allow you to express yourself as you would like? Perhaps you feel there is some roadblock or obligation or past karma that must be dealt with or completed before you can do what you feel you came here to do.

steve

visitor
Reaction score
Ok I see, so I asked what do I need to know and what I need to know, there is in fact an immortal soul.

Past Karma's, past sins, although sometimes I feel I have already paid.

Thank you Rosada, just been thinking about many things lately.

Steve

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Maybe the past karma is the misunderstandings or the distortions that, like dust fogging up a window, keep us from being able to fully project our soul's purpose. Maybe the I Ching is saying that we are all imperfect - even the I Ching has been mistranslated - but our souls are perfect and that as we keep coming back lifetime after lifetime we knock off the bumps and polish the core until ultimately we are able to align our physical expression with our higher soul purpose.

Carmina

visitor
Reaction score
Maybe what you need to know about your inmortal soul cannot be learnt here. The answer will be told when after. You cannot cross that line yet (64). The third lines talks about something that is not right with the food, maybe it is contaminated by what we have been told since we were born (the handles could be the ears) (in the forth the food is good but the use we make of it is wrong) and we need to do something with it before we cross, there's job to do, we cannot cross like this. I feel something like: What you need to know about your inmortal soul is still too contaminated by preconceptions, you cannot cross this line till your ears are clear/healed? I would continue this conversation with Yi. I found it very interesting!

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
That you're asking the wrong question.

steve

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you Bradford for your response

I did actually think that at one stage, am I concerning myself with something I shouldn't or the wrong train of thought?

Thank you for all your responses

Steve

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).