...life can be translucent

Menu

18.6<46 New job opportunity

somebodhi

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd like some help interpreting a reading - 18, changing line 6, 46.

I recently applied for a role in my organisation & have just been offered it. It is a role, that offers more opportunities for development and growth than my current position, but with significantly higher stressors in all likelihood.My current role is quite rewarding in many ways, but it offers little opportunity for progression and it's hard to support.my family on it's income.
I'm having difficulty in deciding whether to accept it, first as it's not quite my preferred configuration (there were three similar roles with different locations & responsibilities) and the pay offer is much less than I was anticipating. I feel that I'd need to negotiate that pay offer up for it to be worth my while.
So my question was "Given this offer, what is the wisest way to proceed here?" My impression from the changing line is that perhaps I should separate the issue of money from the equation and think about whether I would really want the job, in and of itself. However, it is a big factor as I have a family to.support & these things make a difference.
I asked a follow up which was, "What impact would taking on this role have on my life and got 64.4<4.
I'd really.appreciate any impressions you might have to share.

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there, I see you got 18.6 as an answer from the thread title but it's not in the post so that might delay other's responses a bit..anyway
I recently applied for a role in my organisation & have just been offered it. It is a role, that offers more opportunities for development and growth than my current position, but with significantly higher stressors in all likelihood.My current role is quite rewarding in many ways, but it offers little opportunity for progression and it's hard to support.my family on it's income.
I'm having difficulty in deciding whether to accept it, first as it's not quite my preferred configuration (there were three similar roles with different locations & responsibilities) and the pay offer is much less than I was anticipating. I feel that I'd need to negotiate that pay offer up for it to be worth my while.
So my question was "Given this offer, what is the wisest way to proceed here?" My impression from the changing line is that perhaps I should separate the issue of money from the equation and think about whether I would really want the job, in and of itself. However, it is a big factor as I have a family to.support & these things make a difference.

Well this is a very unworldly answer in a way. You see that you have family responsibilities and such and you do, but that isn't all there is to your life and the meaning of your life. You are still an individual with your own path.

Yi says, from Hilary's translation

'No business with kings and lords,
Honouring what is highest is your business'

So I agree with your interpretation. There is more to your life than climbing the career ladder and earning more especially when the job offered isn't one you especially want. I think the 'kings and lords' are those one is meant to pay dues and homage to and Yi says the kings and lords can go and stuff themselves, well not quite those words, but your goals are beyond this, there are other things more important to your journey in life and those are what you must follow.

I wouldn't take this answer as meaning you have to stop applying for better paying jobs I'd take it that you would do well to view it all from a more elevated, even distanced position. You don't have to pay homage or offer sacrifices to get where you want to be, you can play it according to your own goals which Yi says here are of a loftier nature. I don' tknow what that might be it can simply mean you value your own time, your time with the family, time to think and play and learn more than throwing every ounce of your being into your official paid 'work'. You may have other work for example that you may not even think of as work which might be your real work if that makes sense.

So overall I think this is a clear answer not to throw yourself away for something of questionable value and also consider your own personal long term goals in life. Though you have a family to support it doesn't mean you have to throw away your own personal goals or aspirations.

I asked a follow up which was, "What impact would taking on this role have on my life and got 64.4<4.
I'd really appreciate any impressions you might have to share.

I'm going to check this line out in my journal but first impressions are you could make this work but it would be pretty hard going. It seems old issues keep cropping up that you have to deal with and the line says you can do this, you are capable of it, which is why you were offered the job I guess, but it is a slog.

So it's not a hard prediction, I don't think Yi is saying either you must or must not take this job but it is calling you back to consider your personal goals and how they matter.

Checked my journal and see that it tends to refer to battles 'demon country' that occur again and again and again. In 64 one is making a crossing of some kind, one is not yet across the river to the opposite bank and in that crossing one finds hindrances and problems one has met before, long term issue, yet one can still make it across.

My impression is that taking the job would actually delay your progress in your work journey/life journey. It's not a disaster, you can still get where you want to in life but it's slower and harder and human life is not infinite. That's my impression, others may see it differently.

What do you think ?

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).