...life can be translucent

Menu

Many lines changing = focus on the first hexagram or the relating?

Peter Belt

visitor
Reaction score
Dear divinator friends, I have this question about the Yi Jing:

When a reading comes with many lines changing, let's say from 4 up to 6, on one hand it gives us a lot of information regarding that main hexagram right, lot of different lines to read, so I have the tendency on those occasions to focus on all that information of the 1st Hex.
However, this *also means* that that first hexagram has a lot of changes going on towards the relating hexagram. I have also read and it is also my feeling that the more lines changing the more the energy of that hexagram is depleting and moving more and more towards the hexagram to which all those lines are changing to.

So... what is you general feeling, or rule(s), are many lines giving us a lot of information about the first hexagram or telling us that that situation is kind of more moving towards the second hexagram (that in that case becomes predominant in its meaning)?

Thank you for your thoughts!

All the best,

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Peter Belt,

When you get only a single line,
read the single line and there is your answer. The work (writing the line) has been done for you a long time ago.

When you get several lines,
you have to do an act of visualization.
How can I describe it?
Focus moreso on the 'marriage' of the two hexes than on any line text.

Example reading of mine: 31. 2 3 (47)
If you try to understand it using only the lines, it can certainly be confusing. If you ignore the lines for a moment and look at the hexagrams 31 (47), you can see it is a picture of an Exhausted/Delpleted (47) Attraction/Wooing (31)
and that is exactly what this reading was showing: a relationship/influence that had all the life and interest drained out of it. One could write a 'super-line' that replaces lines 2 and 3, this is what was attempted with The Forest of Changes, but not completed.

Does this make any sense?

D

diamanda

Oh my. Moss Elk... thanks to your post, I just realised that cjgait actually published his translation two years ago, it had completely escaped me! Thank you!

Peter, like Moss Elk said, it's most often a matter of overall visualisation.
Especially with many lines, I agree with you that it's a matter of the first hexagram quickly 'exhausted'.

But, to add a few classic rules, just for the record (not the only ones existing, mind you):

• When 3 lines change, and the 1st line is one of them: pay more importance to the first hexagram.
  • When 3 lines change, and the 2nd line is the first to change: pay more importance to the second hexagram.
  • When 4 lines change, also take a look at a particular line in the resulting hexagram - don't know what to call it really. In my mind I call it the "entering line". E.g., if you have lines 1,2,3,4 changing, then also take a look at the line 5 in the resulting hexagram. Or if you've got lines 2,3,4,5, also look at line 6 in the resulting.
  • When 5 lines change, it means the first hexagram is sort of demolished quickly. Take an extra look at the one line that still remains intact, in the first hexagram.
  • When 6 lines change, the two situations (initial and resulting hexagram) happen in quick succession, and they feel as if they're fused together. It might be unclear if it's A or B.
  • I'd like to mention also here when lines 1 and 6 change. This is not a rule I've read anywhere, just an observation. The situation seems to go from A to Z in no time at all, i.e. you have a situation like hexagram A, but that's concluded without many other developments, and then you get hexagram B. A fascinating cast.

PS - sorry I can't cite where I found the above, it was so many years ago that I'm afraid I can't remember anymore, and it would take me a long research to retrace.

Peter Belt

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you Moss Elk so much for your visualization technique, being a photographer I am sure this will help me make sense of difficult readings!

And thank you Diamanda, I will take incorporate those tips in my practice and see how it goes!

All the best my friends,

yawiney

visitor
Reaction score
This seems to contradict the interpretation of multiple changing lines listed above. :: https://cafeausoul.com/oracles/iching
I'm dealing with an important reading with conflicting lines and wondering how to interpret.
Have you all seen this? What do people here think of it's accuracy?
It seems to be too sure of the way to interpret. But i really don't know.

yawiney

visitor
Reaction score
How to interpret multiple lines

This seems to contradict the interpretation of multiple changing lines listed above. :: https://cafeausoul.com/oracles/iching
I'm dealing with an important reading with conflicting lines and wondering how to interpret.
Have you all seen this? What do people here think of it's accuracy?
It seems to be too sure of the way to interpret. But i really don't know.

Peter Belt

visitor
Reaction score

Hi Yawiney, my suggestion would be that you post your conflicting reading in a separate thread in order to get help about it directly :). All the best!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).