...life can be translucent

Menu

Travel to China? Hex 13 changing to Hex 25

wokandao

visitor
Reaction score
I went to China a couple of years ago to study gongfu and taijiquan at a traditional wushu school in Wudangshan. I found the training where I was to be marginally beneficial, but also I visited a temple on a nearby peak where the abbot teaches gongfu, taijiquan, Daoist medicine, and internal alchemy. This really piqued my interest.

Since I've returned to the US, I've been thinking about going back. The fee is roughly $1000 per month for classes from mid-Spring to mid-Fall, and I just received an inheritance that would allow me to afford going for their full term (albeit at the cost of nearly half of the inheritance). Upon being notified of receiving the inheritance, I immediately thought about returning to this temple to study.

A friend of mine who is familiar with the Yijing suggested consulting it. I asked the question "Is it beneficial for me to return to the temple to study for a full term?". I received a response of Hexagram 13 with a mutating 4th line, changing it to Hexagram 25.

I've been having trouble separating my ego from this reading. If I were to dispassionately interpret this reading as I have come to understand it through research of these two hexagrams, I would say that this means that it would be more beneficial for me to keep spending time cultivating myself in society. It would seem that going to the temple now, for this length of time, would be considered an "error" and that there is another, more beneficial way to cultivate myself where I am now. However even though it is more beneficial for me to stay where I am, I must make great changes in my life (possibly by avoiding the "errors" from Hex 25).

I have several problems. First, it would seem to me that the best way to avoid "error" would be to study at a Daoist temple where one of the core teachings is distinguishing true from false on a profound level (but then again, what do I know?) Second, while I have found somewhat consistent translations and interpretations of Hexagram 13, I have found wildly different translations and interpretations of Hexagram 25. I've found some interpretations that simply relate it to choosing the correct path, and some that relate it to inaction for fear of choosing the wrong path (and boy, does that one hit home). Third, I have found vastly different interpretations for reading mutating lines in Yijing readings in general. Am I applying a sound interpretation in relating Hex 25 to Hex 13?

I understand that my desire to go to this temple clouds my judgement regardless. My body and spirit are all but broken and I feel that this could be an extremely beneficial outlet for me to heal on many levels. I'm almost 28 and I feel like this is a prime time to get serious about this kind of study. My friend who helped me with this reading seems to think that simply because Hexagram 13 references "crossing great rivers," that means that the temple is not an option of "error" and I should go. I'm not so sure, since Hex 13 is all about "assimilating with others", and I find it difficult to equate that reading to living on a mountaintop with a handful of generally like-minded people for the better part of a year.

I do think I should note that my life has become significantly more chaotic since my application for the temple courses was accepted (I haven't put down the deposit to go yet) roughly a month ago. I totaled my truck when I hit black ice on the road, my area has been hit by several debilitating freak winter storms causing widespread power outages and making travel difficult, and my best friend of many years doesn't want to be friends anymore for largely unexplained reasons after taking an impromptu cross-country trip (we're trying to work it out). I'm someone who tends to believe in coincidence over causation, but rarely has this kind of confluence of negative events occurred in my life and something in my gut says someone or something is trying to communicate with me. Going by Daoist principles, I suppose this would be my Higher Self.

I have thought on this reading for over 2 months and my vacillating hasn't gotten me anywhere. Does anyone think they have a solid interpretation of what's going on here?

I know that I may wander, but can never truly stray from my path. Thank you for taking the time to read, and double thanks if you reply!

shmemily

visitor
Reaction score
The 4th line alternates to Household, 37. 13.4>37

some thoughts. climbing a high wall can refer to going off on a retreat out of normal life to see things better (or better see your defensive position).
It suggests you are not currently in the place you want to be, so you look for a home elsewhere, away from things.

I have found it tempting to flush it all and change my whole life, and I've done it a couple of times too. Now I think, when everything comes to a confluence of events suggestion a need for change, better to NOT change everything at once, just what you can do first and closest to you (or to completion).

Seems to say you can improve your current life, making way for this bigger change by your small actions today.

So good idea but maybe no rush.

By the way if you're going for a longer term, they may offer partial scholarships. Consider keeping some of your inheritance safe.

wokandao

visitor
Reaction score
Sound advice, thank you.

It must not have been the 4th line then, because my reading was definitely #13 to #25.

I forgot to mention in my original post that when I was still in China, I consulted the Yijing with the same friend to see if I should stay in China to study gongfu elsewhere or return home. The Yijing responded with #62 changing to #44. Both my friend and I took this to mean that I should return home, as I had planned.

Does this help with the reading for my current question?

equinox

visitor
Reaction score
This is an interesting request and also your thoughts on it are really interesting.
But sorry I don't really have a clue right now about these results in your context.The second cast was 62.2.5.6>44, right? And you had 13.3>25, right?
I hope others will have to say something on it and maybe I ll come back later.

"I do think I should note that my life has become significantly more chaotic since my application for the temple courses was accepted (I haven't put down the deposit to go yet) roughly a month ago. I totaled my truck when I hit black ice on the road, my area has been hit by several debilitating freak winter storms causing widespread power outages and making travel difficult, and my best friend of many years doesn't want to be friends anymore for largely unexplained reasons after taking an impromptu cross-country trip (we're trying to work it out). I'm someone who tends to believe in coincidence over causation, but rarely has this kind of confluence of negative events occurred in my life and something in my gut says someone or something is trying to communicate with me. Going by Daoist principles, I suppose this would be my Higher Self."

What is your conclusion here?

wokandao

visitor
Reaction score
equinox,

It must be the 3rd line, then. I apologize, I'm new to this and a friend who is more experienced with consulting the Yijing helped me with the readings. It was definitely #13 changing to #25.

I hope this answers your first two questions. Two years ago, while still in China on a 3-month stay at a wuguan, I consulted the Yijing as to whether I should stay in China to study gongfu, or return home as I had previously planned. I honestly don't remember my question verbatim. I received an answer of #62 changing to #44. Two months ago, I received a small inheritance and consulted the Yijing as to whether I should return to China to study at a Daoist temple I visited while I was in the Wudang Mountains. My question was "Is it beneficial for me to study at the temple for a full term [7-8 months] this year?" I received a response of #13 changing to #25.

As for what has transpired in the month or so since my application to study at the temple had been accepted, I honestly don't know. On the one hand, my ties to my current surroundings seem to be weakening. Potentially losing my best friend weakens my emotional bond to my surroundings and losing my primary means of transportation weakens my material connection to my surroundings. However, not having a car in a rural area of the USA makes it somewhat difficult to get around in general. In the past few weeks we've had 3 winter storms, two of which were strong enough to knock out power for tens of thousands of people for days and dumped enough snow and ice on the roads to cause travel to be very hazardous. We may actually be due for a fourth storm this week! This makes it extra difficult to get around at times, especially when I'm relying on others for transportation while I search for a new vehicle. A storm is the result of an atmospheric disturbance and is a violent correction to a balanced atmospheric state. Maybe I'm undergoing a correction of some kind, or I'm due for one.

My instinct is to say that these are omens warning me that leaving will cause some kind of calamity (bad car accident, bad storms, weakening friendships). However, there is part of me saying these are the breaking of chains and signal rapid correction to balance. Both? Neither? Again, I'm not at all sure.

I hope this is helpful!

D

diamanda

Is it beneficial for me to study at the temple for a full term [7-8 months] this year?
13.3 > 25

Someone is hiding weapons, and doesn't rise up / remains inactive for three years.
25 says that if someone is not natural, then misfortune threatens.
It doesn't sound that great an answer to me.

Going by common sense, I find it totally implausible to think that your Higher Self (or any divine force) is inflicting so much trouble over the whole area where you live, just to give you a personal message on how to spend your inheritance.

Last edited:

wokandao

visitor
Reaction score
diamanda,

If you're driving on the road and see a sign warning you of potential falling rocks, do you ignore it because it wasn't made specifically for you?

Last edited:
D

diamanda

Wokandao, truck damage, ice, storms, and friends leaving, are part and parcel of life everywhere on this planet. In fact, they are minor misfortunes, and they will certainly happen again to you (and everyone else) either if you go to China or not.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
I have thought on this reading for over 2 months and my vacillating hasn't gotten me anywhere. Does anyone think they have a solid interpretation of what's going on here?
Yes, the reading is a picture of your fear and hesitance about going,
after having experienced unsettling events, ie:
truck wreck, distance from friend. The 'three years' so far is two months.
Yi does that sometimes.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
You are not fated to hide for three years.
You just have to summon the courage to take action.

After unsettling events, we can form unsettling thoughts trying to make a unifying theory that connects a meaning to all the events.

We have to live each day, one at a time, and tend to that day and the events that transpire. Maybe this will help:
When a fist is swinging toward your head, is it better to dodge it or to wonder if you deserve it?

wokandao

visitor
Reaction score
Moss Elk,

I like that! Also, very interesting about time as it relates to the Yijing. Thank you.

How do you arrive at the interpretation that I am not to hide for three years?

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Also, very interesting about time as it relates to the Yijing. Thank you.
When I said that 'it does that sometimes', what I meant was: sometimes Yi ignores your question and points out what you are doing. or your emotional/attitudinal disposition.

How do you arrive at the interpretation that I am not to hide for three years?
You can hide if you want to,
but you don't have to.

equinox

visitor
Reaction score
My personal experience with 13.3 was, that I actively had to give up the defensive attitude and my distrust before the situation changed for the better.

equinox

visitor
Reaction score
And about the three years: I think the "three years" can also be read in this context as a metaphor for a situation quite continued and hardened. Not necessarily literally as a time factor. I guess Moss Elk mentioned the two months, because you told that you are at a stalemate since two months, or am I wrong?

wokandao

visitor
Reaction score
Two months since I consulted the Yijing and one month since my application for study was accepted.

Another interesting perspective, thank you!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).