...life can be translucent

Menu

Hexagram 16 "We're Gonna DO IT!"

themothership

visitor
Reaction score
I inquired of the oracle; I feel like I've arrived back to where I was 10 years ago, and it's almost a relief. I've learned a lot, and I've an improved set of resources on the one hand. On the other hand, I feel like I'm in the same place I was then, which wasn't great. What is really changing for me now?

>>>

*In my personal readings when I receive three lines active, as in this case, I take the middle line as my answer.

Over time, I have begun to view 15-18 as a process of emotional growth. So where 16 presents, a light is shining on the question: Do I allow my Emotions to make my decisions for me? AND Do I allow my Emotions their rightful place in energizing my actions?

The enthusiasm and great energy of hexagram 16 is something I've experienced at music shows back in the 90's, mosh pits, rock concerts, the energy within myself and those around me and the band all converging into a catharsis. In those mosh pits, people risked life and limb without thinking twice about it, bouncing like chaotic pin balls. The survivor emerging with an experience - but not always one of any great value, considering the mindless stupidity. The reward was that surge of adrenaline, that feeling of oh my Gosh I can't believe that just happened. While in Hexagram 51 all that experience is brought upon us out of left field - here it is something we consciously created, action being taken from a place built within our imagination.
Envision and do it. Here in Hexagram 16 is that place within our imagination and fantasy, where we dance and sing using the hairbrush alone in private, but can we then go sing karaoke in front of other people? Here is the hairbrush, I've just finished singing this song and the crowd goes crazy ("yahhhhhhhhh"). By the end of Hexagram 16 (line 6) the curtain falls, and we return to reality. Laundry.

There is a false Self-confidence that we can do anything and live forever, especially when we are young and at a rock concert. But as we mature and grow, our enthusiasm should hopefully become tempered by wisdom. We can achieve ANYTHING! But success or failure depends on how much we've learned from hexagram 15.

10 years ago, I was recording music with a tape recorder in my bathroom, totally introvert. My father told me to go out, find an open mic, share my songs and connect with like-minded people. I did my father's bidding, and the next 10 years unfolded from that point. I incurred injuries in the mosh pit of that unfolding. Oh it has been an adventure, but here I am, a full cycle and I'm back to the starting point. What can I change to make this next cycle produce my intentions in my life?

The surety of self-confidence is not what I had the first time I played my guitar at the open mic. I could barely touch my strings. In my bathroom the "music of heaven" flowed and I was not inhibited by self-doubts and egotistical considerations.
I was like in 16 line 2, a rock, just doing my thing, while the world flows by. I sought no one's approval or applause. I needed no flattery. I liked it that way. I think I'll keep that part that I liked now too.

I can see how through the course of the last 10 years, I encountered working with music partners who placed too high a value on the approvals of others. Hexagram 15 says to take from that which is too much and add to that which too little. Arrogance culminated in the latter part of the cycle, bringing the band I was involved in to its destiny: no real achievement.

See line 1? In the beginning, there was enthusiasm "yah we got this" - but there was also enjoyment of the merit being sought before having done anything to earn it. OK, self-confidence is like dressing for success right? If you want to be a rocker, BE the rocker. So affectation, the way people talk, dress, and put on airs comes into play. ACT the part. Be your own biggest fan. Line 1 is where the fan club is formed. People who believe in what you want to do. Heartfelt admiration.

But often it is being given like...a line of credit. We give respect, trust, belief in others around us. We see they have talent, great ideas and visions, we're all ready to throw our support behind the enterprise. But enjoyment and comfort is usually taken after a task is completed, or a goal attained.

Can you imagine going to an open mic, which is just an amateur sharing forum, not a "show" or a "gig" - where we are all equals - can you imagine there someone who imagines themselves a great, famous rocker? Offering to give your their autograph? I've seen worse cases the last 10 years. They've shot from line 1 to line 6 of Hex16 - and their loneliness is very sad.

But what got to me the most was the question of "who approves my doing this or that". Approval can be used as a form of flattery. Just because someone says they support you, cheers you on, says they love your songs, says they admire your work - does not make them your friend and supporter! In fact, jealousy and greed is more likely to be involved than not. the moment you allow those sentiments to become your MOTIVATION for what you are doing rather than your own inner resolve, there shall arise the question of Who Gives The Approval and Permissions For Me Living My Life?

Hex38 is Opposition. Frenemies, enemies, your very own sister or brother opposing you. This isn't merely a divergence of point of view - it is a force that arises to resist your aims. And it is a LAW OF NATURE that somehow we have to learn to live with, and still ACHIEVE our goals.

Line 2 shows a situation where you're just walking down a street minding your own business, and you turn to take a shortcut through an alley and just happen to stumble upon the guy who Opposes your LIFE. He has authority in some way or another, to make or break your project. You might not like this person, they might not like you. No, you don't want to have a confrontation and a chitchat, you just want to get on by and be on your way.
But who will give the right of way to the other? Who is going to approve moving forward? You are at a stalemate. And it's not just you, it's the other person too - they can't go anywhere and get anything done. This is a good time to negotiation with diplomacy - if you have any. But hexagram 16 is not diplomatic. It is the hypnotic banging wardrum.

So you go about your life and you think you have separate social circles, but eventually you and that person who opposed your success ARE going to run into each other again. What line 2 of 38 shows me is that the hard feelings I feel for that person or those people - gives them the power of approving my way forward. I'm giving them authority to put their stamp of approval, step aside, give me a green light?

Oh hell no. On the subject of 16 line 2 Wing commented: To be able to recognize the early signs of a change in fortune is a tremendous gift. While others may be swept away by compelling rhythms and fads, you adhere firmly to the underlying principles of your nature and react appropriately to the demands of the time. Such is the behavior of leaders.

To understand "the music of heaven" is to attain Repose, confidence in YOUR decisions on your course, the tranquility that comes from further your intentions. 38 line 2 suggests a casual meeting with the REAL person who can make a decision to open the way for you...and what I see in this line it is a fated meeting, not something you arrange. It happens naturally and you really don't have to do much except maintain your course and Do Your Thing, no matter if anyone else is cheering you on or not. And sometimes, it's those casual encounters, where we run into someone on the street, exchange a few words, and how that conversation goes that changes everything.

Here's a 16 imagination moment: perhaps you get on a train, sit down next to a stranger, have a bit of casual chat about this or that - later to find out it was the Big Cheese of your industry. How you interacted, your attitude, what impression you gave them...could change everything for you. It's better you don't know that they are so important. You might have become ingratiating and acted like a simpering brown noser. But maybe instead, you earned their respect and admiration, maybe even their support at some point...Or maybe you didn't, and they didn't like you, your personality, your point of view at all.

38 line 2 is like what happened to me, running into some people who become "collaborators" in a band project, who then turned more into obstacles obstructing me from actually progressing forward.

38 line 2 throws me back to 16 line 2 - am I going to let that stop me? Am I going to open myself up to manipulation and negative external forces? Or just keep on doing my thing? It would seem that is what is going to change things from how things went this last go round.

This is pretty serious. 10 years is a long time. I don't get too many 10 years cycles to build and achieve something in my life. So that is what I'm going to be keeping my conscious awareness up about as I continue forward.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
16 (38)
So the band broke up, eh?

Since themothership is afk,
I'll continue without him.
My post reminded me of a song:

https://youtu.be/d1R64-ZWVoM

Ben Folds ~ Army

Well I thought about the army
Dad said, "Son, you're x x x x-ing high"
And I thought, yeah there's a first for everything
So I took my old man's advice

Three sad semesters
It was only 15 grand spent in bed
I thought about the army
I dropped out and joined a band instead

Grew a mustache and a mullet
Got a job at Chick-Fil-A
Citing artistic differences
The band broke up in May

And in June reformed without me
And they'd got a different name

I nuked another grandma's apple pie
And hung my head in shame, oh
I've been thinkin' a lot today

steve

visitor
Reaction score
totally cool lyrics Moss Elk, thats what happened to me in reality

Mostly the reforming part

16 and music , i was following a dream 17

and was in fact 17 when I joined my first working band.

Steve

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
I can't wait for themothership to come back and explain why he named his thread after the Lavergne & Shirley theme song.... Lavergne & Shirley & Mosh Pits, whodathunkit?

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).