...life can be translucent

Menu

The rule of intuition & the IC as private vocabulary

liquidity

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
More and more I see castings as ways of communicating with Yi, a kind of intelligence -- we can think of it as our own internal, unconscious intelligence or as something external, I don't see that it much matters.

Either way, however, I seem, over many castings, to realize more and more a couple of things:

1) the hexagrams are like words in a language -- they derive their meaning from the use they have in different situations. They have names and texts, but their actual meaning for me more and more comes to mean how they've played out in my life. It's as if Yi is developing a private vocabulary whose meaning is created through use.

2) so much of what is said in the lines, in their various use, in which ones come out together and in which sequence... is figurative. It's speaking at the level of intuition, at the level of metaphor and analogy, and at the level of suggestion and reading between the lines.

The idea comes up of someone who is given a limited set of words to communicate the most complex and unlimited set of concepts about life, death, meaning, and everything. That's how I view Yi -- as a spirit confined to using this particular grammar and set of symbols to say all kinds of things.

We are in a way like people speaking to each other in different languages and trying to come to common ground, or like prisoners in adjacent rooms communicating with each other through taps on the common wall.

Yi knows your intuition and your experiences with prior castings; it knows the reader, the caster, and tailors its message accordingly.

3) That said, of course there is also an objective aspect to the texts. The line says misfortune not good fortune, or vice-versa .But that's true with ordinary language too. But the context within which these words are read must be intuited, and can radically change the import.

4) Because all this is a conversation where the language is being learned through use and over time, casting further when there are unclear readings has been immensely helpful (though it can be taken to an extreme and overdone, of course).

Just some observations.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
The idea comes up of someone who is given a limited set of words to communicate the most complex and unlimited set of concepts about life, death, meaning, and everything. That's how I view Yi -- as a spirit confined to using this particular grammar and set of symbols to say all kinds of things.

Not unlike the people in this show who communicate exclusively through bits and phrases from an epic poem. (Yi is an epic poem too)
[video=youtube_share;3-wzr74d7TI]https://youtu.be/3-wzr74d7TI[/video]

(I think this scene actually has 11.6 in it! 'when the walls fell' then the guy proposes a survival-bonding activity)

Last edited:

liquidity

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Not unlike the people in this show who communicate exclusively through bits and phrases from an epic poem. (Yi is an epic poem too)
[video=youtube_share;3-wzr74d7TI]https://youtu.be/3-wzr74d7TI[/video]

(I think this scene actually has 11.6 in it! 'when the walls fell' then the guy proposes a survival-bonding activity)

Ha! Yes, how apt!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).