...life can be translucent

Menu

Hexagram 18.5.6 » 48: Will I bring ny 12yr son to a Game Jam?

EmMacha

visitor
Reaction score
I want to bring my 12 year old to a Game Jam that is on this Saturday & Sunday.
A Game Jam is like a hackathon for game developers, where people come together and join teams, create a game in 24 hours.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/galway-game-jam-10-tickets-46718201398?aff=eand

It is not quite my area, i prefer hackathons or startup weekends, but i do find game dev interesting. I think it would do my son a lot of good, and that e would really enjoy it.
However, the issue is complicated by the fact that myself and his father are seperated. We have a shared parenting arrangement that usually works quite well, but he is dropping the ball on things lately & not answering his phone or communicating.

I asked Yi "What about bringing S to the Game Jam? Will it work? "
Got hexagram 18.5.6, relating hexagram 48

Line 5
'Ancestral father's corruption.
Use praise.'

This sounds like the situation with his father right now! He has missed a few important meetings re S's education and support (we suspect S has high functioning ASD), and has not been making appointments or booking summer camps for him.

Line 6
'No business with kings and lords,
Honouring what is highest is your business.'

Does this cast mean that I won't be able to bring S to the Game Jam because his father will mess it up?
Or that he will create barriers (I have to go pick my son up in the car early, etc )?

Or that i need to be very patient and spiritual here, or get a complete overview, micromanagement plan the whole thing? (Thats exhausting)
I am trying to bring my eldest son, his 20yr old brother along too; I think we could make a mini team, or even on different teams, we will have a great day that S will remember all his life.

Anyone have advice, thoughts about this cast?
Will going ahead with it solve some problem re his Dad? Or is it just saying that his Dad is having problems with depression again?

I felt quite disappointed to see this result initially, but now i am wondering if it is less about the game jam, more about the situation with his father. There are other problems there too, my son doesn't want to go to his Dads sometimes, and would prefer to stay with me.

mulberry

visitor
Reaction score
I think this is about both the game jam and the issues with his father, all rolled in one. 18.5-- try to take the high road in dealing with his dad on this one, be positive but firm, and don't hesitate about taking your son for the day. 18.6-- I think this line is about spiritual or higher things that are above the mundane matters that "kings and lords" focus on. In your situation I'd read this as, "No business with the father's unreliability and depression (nor his supposed authority). Honoring your son's and your interest in going to this game jam is your business."

All in all, I see this reading as a subtle suggestion to rise above meeting his dad on the dad's level, which sounds lousy right now. You should be taking the higher path, taking care of your son, and swiftly nipping in the bud any further issues with his father by addressing them directly and without inciting argument. By that I mean, it's not about having a conflict or argument with the father, but about not tolerating him being disorganized, uncommunicative, etc. Make it clear you are going to pick him up for the game jam and expect him to be ready. Be pleasant but firm.

EmMacha

visitor
Reaction score
Mulberry, that is spot on, you hit the nail on the head.
Yes he rang me this afternoon, and i did take the high road "Ok, I'm bringing him, he wants to go, il pick him up at half 8.ok we need to meet tomorrow to sort out summer camps & secondary school... etc"

You're right, I need to rise above his 'authority'; S came back to my house after school, and when he rang me, S was still here. He knows his son would rather be with me, i think the situation itself conspired to give him a jolt!

I was worried that he might create barriers, bit he's freaked that he's after missing another 'Meithil' (a meeting of all involved agencies, family support, school, SNA)... because my son is presenting ASD traits. His older brother is diagnosed high functioning ASD already, so there are concerns and extra pressure to get all these things lined up for him.
Game Jams, Coder Dojos, summer camps, the application to the best secondary school, these are very important things to get sorted now.

His Dad has been a bit of a luddite too, not having internet, email etc for many years. He was quite resistant to anything computer related; it took years to explain to him that computer & IT skills are interesting to our son, and good to cultivate for him.
Often high functioning ASD people do very well in software and game dev careers.
So this is another aspect of line 5,correcting the faults of the father; bringing S to the game jam, opening up this world to him.

Yi completely spot on here, and thank you Mulberry for your insight, it is v accurate & v supportive! ������

EmMacha

visitor
Reaction score
Update:
I brought my son, and he loved it!

The lady facilitating it was very kind, she actually talked me through some Java, and told me that I just need someone to sit down with me and go through things, that I actually understand it and could program. I kind of thought that I couldn't, really.

So that is another correction; from college training here albeit.

EmMacha

visitor
Reaction score
Old thread I know, but I actually recieved this cast today, just over 2 years later!

Issue or question is that I'm feeling 'hyper' the last few days, after bring in a v sleepy almost lazy state for a few months.
I walked 5 or 6 miles (8km) back from a garage I dropped my car to & cane home tired but hyper, then got into this almost rage state wanting to go out & party, meet people etc

I was like this years ago, my eltroxin prescription was v high due to thyroid cancer treatment. They reduced it & I've been putting on weight & getting v un motivated etc.
I was worried about this, because the GP keeps trying to reduce it further & now the endocrinologist apt is going to be by phone, so they won't use a bloodtest & might reduce the dose.
Well I'm scared of that.

Yes but this "hyperthyroid" type feeling is a bit odd, because my dose is low... its like being slightly manic, not as high as graves disease, my eyes are fine, but its concerning, because Im shooting off on tangents & getting carried away, or I see this beginning to happen... so I cast & got this answer & found myself back at my old thread!

So I think in this case, well, it's about finding my own authority, with this new energy to get up & get things done & also to be aware of some ancestral fathers issues ie alcoholism mb?

I did pass a ruined castle on my way back walking & a few Cromwellian forts; reading about Norman families who built the castles & lost them to Cromwell's forces, I noticed a castle "Dublaoidh" Dark Champion, which is so similar to my father's name Dowling "Dunlainge" or "Dubhlainge" which also became Dooley & means "black calf"... this had me wondering about ancestors that maybe came here to Galway. I found this interesting because I though my father's family were all in the East of Ireland.
Well, maybe this urge to get drunk is linked to what happened to the displaced people after Cromwell's depridations aviaries Ireland?
Maybe people took to drink & this has passed on down? It dates back to then & not just the famine?

& line 6 is reminding me to focus on my actual spiritual path & connection to the land & the ancient Sacred Sites & also to my dedication to work to walk the middle path & to continue learning about & respecting my indigenous ancestral wisdom

EmMacha

visitor
Reaction score
An update on the 2 year old cast:
My sons father lost his shared custody (he got worse & my son told tusla the social workers a few stories), my son was diagnosed with Autism. He received amazing support in school, he now has loads of friends, but really does not want to go to school!

Although I cant blame him with Covid19, I've asked him to try a few days.

It is making me think though, to be led back to a cast from 2 years ago; that maybe certain problems we are having, the cheek he's giving me & demands for things & sleep problems & elaborate concocted stories & junk food etc are coming from times with his father... food for thought to help me help him

Interesting how Yi leads us back

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).