...life can be translucent

Menu

Hex 20.4.5.6>16 on calling out from work

scarlett3page

visitor
Reaction score
Greetings, I appreciate your insight.

Background:
I want to call in sick on Monday to take the time to update my resume and apply for jobs. Weekends currently spent teaching brother to drive. Weeknights I'm cooking, attending meetings (Al-Anon), and de-stressing as much as possible from this current office job where I am friendless, bored, and none of my talents are put to use. Basically, I NEED to revamp my resume & get serious about sending lots of applications out which is incredibly challenging for me to do in my evenings. Could add much more detail about why this workplace is all wrong & whats going on in my personal life...but I doubt I'll be fired as we are understaffed...I asked the IChing because I don't want to create tension at this job...yet I feel a great need to be "selfish" so I can get the heck outta there!
I received Hexagram 20.4.5.6 changing to 16; description from Taoscopy:

20 - View
Going to see and be seen.

20.4 - One asks the youngest to not commit any imprudence by taking decisions without consulting the most experienced ones.

20.5 - One shows to a qualified person.

20.6 - One does not want to see the difficulty.
In the making
16 - Youth

Youth is able to mobilize. It is a period of indecision that one will leave by getting involved.

Overall, seems advantageous. 20.5 makes me confident taking this time will help me find a better job. I fear that 20.4 is suggesting I not do it however, & obviously line 6 expresses there will be difficulty although I expect that no matter what at this point. Could take 16 as the result in many ways. Any commentary would be so helpful. Not much on here for these changing lines so hope this could assist others as well.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
If you consult the I Ching then do use the I Ching not Taoscopy who claimed to channel his own I Ching and which has not that much to do with the I Ching at all.

I received Hexagram 20.4.5.6 changing to 16; description from Taoscopy:

20 - View
Going to see and be seen.

20, Viewing yes

20.4 - One asks the youngest to not commit any imprudence by taking decisions without consulting the most experienced ones.

20.5 - One shows to a qualified person.

20.6 - One does not want to see the difficulty.
In the making

This is filtered commentary which has led you way off track. I could copy in actual translation but you should have one surely ?

Line 6 doesn't say that nor line 5 or 4. You could say it's a very watered down commentary by an individual, it's certainly not something to try to understand your reading by.

Overall, seems advantageous. 20.5 makes me confident taking this time will help me find a better job. I fear that 20.4 is suggesting I not do it however, & obviously line 6 expresses there will be difficulty although I expect that no matter what at this point. Could take 16 as the result in many ways. Any commentary would be so helpful. Not much on here for these changing lines so hope this could assist others as well.

If you get a proper copy of the I Ching you can see line 6 says nothing at all about there being difficulty.

I could copy the lines in but you have a proper translation somewhere don't you ?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I think Taoscopy has his own website so you could ask his advice there if you prefer not using an I Ching translation/commentary.

Could add much more detail about why this workplace is all wrong & whats going on in my personal life...but I doubt I'll be fired as we are understaffed...I asked the IChing because I don't want to create tension at this job...yet I feel a great need to be "selfish" so I can get the heck outta there!
I received Hexagram 20.4.5.6 changing to 16

You didn't say what you asked the I Ching ? I guess it was whether you should take the day off.

Yes it seems a good idea to me. 20 shows a situation of viewing, contemplating what is before you without yet committing. Line 4 looks a picture of seeing what is beyond your current situation, what's possible. The whole answer appears to me a picture of becoming inspired (16) by taking the time to view (20) all of the options that may be open to you. And you don't just need to time to look at what is open to you but also to review your own life and path (line 5) and I think this is very much a part of re-writing your resume, in improving it you'll get a clearer view of your life and objectives. Line 6 shows looking at others lives too which is a natural part of job hunting. One looks to see conditions in other workplaces (also line 4), one looks to see what others are being paid for the kind of work you want to do and so on.

I think taking the day off is time well spent. 16 here is not 'the result', as the relating hexagram it is the backdrop to the whole question, what the question is about. I think it is to do with becoming inspired by what you see when you do 20, when you look around. 16 also has to do with making ready, envisaging, making preparations. So the day is for getting inspired, looking, thinking about , seeing new things....The change patterns of the lines are 12/11 so this is the way to get out of a stagnant situation. So it's a great idea to take some time to do the things you planned.

Line 6 actually talks of viewing others...will quote and yet you picked out a bit of someone's imagination, something that is not even there, as a basis to say

I fear that 20.4 is suggesting I not do it however, & obviously line 6 expresses there will be difficulty

…...this is the tragedy of leading yourself well up the garden path through some extremely doubtful commentary.

I am going to copy in the translation of Hilary's from wiki and you can see how far off you've gotten

Line 4 actually says

'Seeing the city shining out.
Fruitful and useful to be a guest of the king.'

Line 5 says

'Seeing my own life.
The noble one is without mistake.'

Line 6 says

'Seeing their lives.
The noble one is without mistake.'

You see that was your answer.....this idea you got about 'difficulty' in line 6 isn't there at all so it is quite tragic to think you'd think it was especially given the resources of this website at your disposal.

Buy a decent book, Wilhelm, Hilary's, you can download Bradford's for free I mean with all that you have no need to go and get all misled by something that is not the I Ching at all.

Last edited:

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I'm seeing 20.4.5.6 > 16 as describing your intention to look around for other opportunities, but it doesn't seem to me to be referencing what effect this has on your current position (unless View somehow means they see what you're up to), or whether this would actually lead to a new job. Thus I interpret this answer as meaning nothing special comes of this and so I'm thinking you might want to consider if it's all that urgent that you do this now rather than waiting until the next weekend.
Also as you 20.View your situation you might figure out a way to help your brother learn to drive without having to devote your entire weekend to the project. Like take him out for two hours on Saturday and two hours on Sunday. Ten hours straight behind a wheel two days in a row sounds exhausting for both of you - maybe even counter productive.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
It's not clear what your question was but it does seem the I Ching is giving fitting comment on the situation:

20.4 It furthers one to exert influence as the guest of a king.
This could be your frustration with your current employment where you feel your talents are not being well used. You are wanting a position where you are valued, can act independently and not be used like a tool.

20.5 Contemplation of my life. The superior man is without blame.
You want to take some time to review your work history and put together a resume.

20.6 Contemplation of his life. The superior man is without blame.
Stepping outside your personal needs and considering the effect your not showing up for work on Monday will have on everyone.

So - you want a more suitable job, you need to take some time to put your resume together, but you need to consider the effect of taking a day off. This leads to 16. Enthusiasm which I think describes a group of individuals each doing their own thing yet together they create something - like the individual members of an orchestra making beautiful music together. This makes me think that the I Ching is advising that your decision about what to do Monday needs to include consideration as to whether your absence will place. a burden on your co-workers. If not, then I think you can step away without any negative repercussions.

scarlett3page

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies! I agree Trojina, that I should always go off of the actual lines rather than commentary. I didn't even realize Taoscopy was an entirely different "reading" of the lines...I am curious however, if you've ever used the commentary found on cafe au soul? Here is their Hexagram 20 commentary:
https://cafeausoul.com/iching/kuan-contemplation

Seems a little more on point. Their site has helped me in certain situations very accurately. I only own Cleary's translation of the Iching but I do refer to James DeKorne's website as well to compare different translations usually.

I am biased to agree with Trojina's commentary, also each line is advantageous or without blame. It is true as you said, Rosada, the risk is that nothing much comes of taking the day off. Will reiterate that I won't make excuses for myself but 1st must accept where I am at right now, if I ever wish to change & improve my habits. Where am I at right now? Exhausted, depressed, unmotivated. Prone to procrastination. The more I procrastinate, the more I loath myself, the more I do it some more. Hence, I am taking a 12 step/Thich Nhat Hahn approach by being gentle with myself as well as realistic. Point is, I know next week will go the same as the week before. I MUST set aside time to apply for jobs, but I also must cook (Just started a new low carb diet in hopes of improving my depression, energy, & complexion), clean, & SLEEP. I just moved and so a new job got put on the back burner for a few weeks. Was so inconsistent before that. Agree with you Rosada that the weekends with my brother could be spent more productively. Traffic is an issue. His wanting frequent breaks was an issue. Sometimes we can't meet both days. But now he is improving, I think we can drive for longer periods of time without breaks, & when we do perhaps brings laptops to a coffee shop where I can get some work done.

I received Hexagram 52 unchanging "Stilling" when asked "Results of me not calling out, just making time on weekends?" And also asked "Results of me calling out on Tuesday rather than Monday?" Received 40.4 >7 ; Releasing the thumbs also, Partners arrive, hence truth and confidence." Why call out on Tuesday rather than Monday? I heard on Friday that a coworker has Monday off. And I must admit she annoys me greatly so work will be better without her! Based on these readings, I am opting to call out on Tuesday.

scarlett3page

visitor
Reaction score
And thank you Trojina, I didn't realize my other thread got another reply. I will update it now!

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
FYI - Wilhelm's translation is available on line. Just google the words "Wilhelm I Ching".

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
.I am curious however, if you've ever used the commentary found on cafe au soul? Here is their Hexagram 20 commentary:
https://cafeausoul.com/iching/kuan-contemplation

I don't think I ever would use it no because it's mainly an extended commentary really plus the site is littered with advertising which makes it unusable. There are all sorts of things on there that aren't especially much to do with the hexagram.

Also the information here at this site is so much better that I can't imagine why anyone would go there. I mean Wikiwing is £1 a month (or more if you want) and that's of far more value, and all the many threads and resources here.

I recently watched a part of the Foundations Course that Hilary made where she explains why having an actual translation matters. She says if you want the advice of a builder of plumber you ask them you don't get a third party to tell you what they said. And if you get a love letter you want to know what it says you don't want a third party intervening and telling you what they think it says. Similarly if you want to know what the I Ching said to you then you need to hear it's words so you need to read a translation first before any commentaries because the translation might speak to you of something that isn't in any commentary.

An example I often quote is where I received 9.4 which is from Hilary's translation in wikiwing

'There is truth and confidence.
Blood departs, fear goes away.
No mistake.'

For me that was literal in that a worrying element found in my blood disappeared when I was retested. There is no commentary I have ever seen with this meaning, that this might be about actual blood sometimes. If I had gone straight to some commentary where there isn't even any translation at all I would never have uncovered the meaning for me at that particular moment. Commentaries can box you in, the words of Yi are open enough for you to divine the real meaning for you.

Now we are all here telling people what we think it means and there are commentaries galore that will tell you and some might fit your situation and some might not. But in the end you have to keep your understanding of your answer reasonably engaged with what the I Ching actually says or you may as be consulting the individual who writes the commentary.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).