...life can be translucent

Menu

Multiple changing lines

yawiney

visitor
Reaction score
I'm sure this is in here somewhere but i've been trying to figure out what is the most traditional approach to interpret multiple lines.
I recently got Hexagram 25.1.3.4.5.6 > 15.
Iv'e read about reading only the unchanging line of the first Hex, or only the unchanging line of the resulting hexagram.
Not sure if this is only for cases of conflicting lines though.
Also, I would like to know if either of these approaches is traditional or more recent adaptations.
I really want to read this one correctly.
Thanks!

F

Freedda

First, I wonder, would you be okay sharing what your query/ question was?

Based on my limited study of Yi-ism, I am not sure there is a 'right' way to deal with moving lines; there seems to be many 'right' approaches.

If it was me, I'd read the cast hexagram, the changing lines, and the resulting hexagram. I might also start with the hexagrams and then see if the lines add anything useful to my understanding.

With so many changing lines, I might be inclined to set the Yi aside for a bit and do a bit of inquiry: "okay David, what's going on here? Are you clear about what it is you want to ask? Or ... do these moving lines reflect some sort of inner dialog or struggle I need to look at? Not traditional I know, but ...

The following website has a list of approaches from various Yi authors, from 'read all changes lines' (even if there is a lot of them), to only reading the cast and resulting hexagrams. You might see if any work for you.

http://www.russellcottrell.com/virtualyarrowstalks/rules.htm

Best, David.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).