...life can be translucent

Menu

hexagram 12 and quitting a job

heatwave

visitor
Reaction score
I am considering leaving a job without having another job lined up. This could be considerably risky but also free me up to find new work. I also have personal reasons in this workplace for wanting to leave with some urgency. 12 is very confusing because the judgement seems to say I will be blocked and that only small things will come but I cast 12.1.3.4 -> 37. The lines seem auspicious but the image of Blocked to People in the Home looks like a bad unemployment situation. What is the oracle stating will happen if I leave without work already lined up?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering leaving a job without having another job lined up. This could be considerably risky but also free me up to find new work. I also have personal reasons in this workplace for wanting to leave with some urgency. 12 is very confusing because the judgement seems to say I will be blocked and that only small things will come but I cast 12.1.3.4 -> 37. The lines seem auspicious but the image of Blocked to People in the Home looks like a bad unemployment situation. What is the oracle stating will happen if I leave without work already lined up?

There's one phrase I would edit in everyone's posts who posts here and it's this

I will be blocked and that only small things will come

Every time I read 'I will be' I want to change it to 'I am' because Yi readings aren't generally set in stone pronouncements about what will be more like indicators of what is happening right now, now as a shaper for the future. The only place 'I will be' can come from is 'I am' and although of course we are looking towards the future, or we wouldn't ask, it generally helps most to know where we are now.

You see often we aren't where we think we are at all which changes everything about how we might see the future.

You haven't said what the exact question was ? I'm assuming it's along the lines of what will happen if you leave without having another job ?

So 12 is less confusing if you see it not as a hypothetical future but as where you are right now, the place the future comes from. It describes your work situation. You not only feel stuck and unappreciated or any variation of those things, you are in fact in a less than fulfilling or happy environment. Yi might have, for example, given you an answer that said you weren't stuck, that it was another kind of time, but here your perception is right, this place isn't great for you so naturally you are thinking of leaving it

So Yi shows us clearly how this is for you, it's not fun BUT it can be a means to an end which presumably is making enough money to live on. But there's more to life than this as you say and sometimes you can't see what's next when you are stuck in what feels to be a very unrewarding dead end.

So 12 isn't saying you will be blocked I don't think but is showing you in the situation you are in and where that could go if you leave from that place of stuckness and the lines show how changes might be made from that place of dead end you feel to be in.

BTW 12 is not exactly like being stuck it's just there's no creative or free flow in the situation, heaven and earth trigrams move in opposing directions so nothing much can be done. Sometimes it's enough to recognize that and stop striving in order to save energy.

It is my impression that responsibilities hold you here (37) and that you may be better for now going along with what happens because it almost looks to me as if there is already some kind of change, upheaval , underground movement occurring in line 1. Maybe things under the surface that aren't manifest or clear yet will ultimately help you move forward out of this situation. I don't feel this calls for you to be hugely proactive because so often in 12 our best efforts just don't work and it's more a case of bearing with circumstances. So here I think circumstances are assisting you without you even being too aware of it. Who knows maybe there's a redundancy or some other work change that impacts on the whole situation.

Line 3 can feel very uncomfortable in that some part of you feels a kind of shame about something. In her commentary Hilary writes this is shame about asking for what you need and I have found some truth in this but only you can say how it applies here. Where do you feel some sense of shame holds you back ?

Line 4 says there is actually a 'mandate' in the apparent time of standstill. This means, however unfulfilling work might seem right now there is a reason, in the bigger scheme of things, why you are in this position right now. Don't fight it and be aware that serving higher purposes, or indeed just purposes, isn't always going to make one feel happy. I think it is Bradford who writes in his commentary on the line that happiness is not the same thing as purpose, something like that, so that's very important to bear in mind.

So it seems to me there are all kinds of things at work in this situation, it's not really as static as it feels because there is even a purpose in how rubbish it feels right now.

With 37 as the relating hexagram I first wonder if it is literal and your concern about income is connected to family responsibility but I also wonder if it is to with your sense of belonging to a way of life. I wonder if you really need to feel 'at home' at work and right now you don't because you have this sense of being blocked off/going nowhere. 37 can be to do with finding one's own role in a place and right now maybe you don't have the role you feel you should have. If that is the case I think if I had this cast I would hang on in there rather than look for something else. The reason is I think there's a lot going on behind the scenes, things can change. I don't feel it is in your interest to be very active in seeking a new job as I think line 4 suggests you are actually exactly where you need to be. I don't know why that is and often in 12.4 people do not know what this mandate is but most often it is to do with your whole life path I think. Beyond short term gains and losses there is a bigger picture, 12.1 shows that and 12.4 shows that. It also might help if you could locate where you feel a sense of shame that gets in your way ?

There are other ways to read the cast I expect but I answered as I saw no one had answered you yet and you had sunk to the bottom of the pile.

heatwave

visitor
Reaction score
Trojina, thank you for taking the time to respond. I've been considering your post over the last day or so and allowing it to shift my perspective about the oracle by thinking "I am" rather than "I will be." You are correct that my question was what will happen if I leave without having another job, and also correct that I feel absolutely blocked currently in this job. I can only hope that you are also correct that there is something going on behind the scenes (line 1) as I have sensed this myself for several months without seeing any outward change.

It is my impression that responsibilities hold you here (37)

With 37 as the relating hexagram I first wonder if it is literal and your concern about income is connected to family responsibility but I also wonder if it is to with your sense of belonging to a way of life. I wonder if you really need to feel 'at home' at work and right now you don't because you have this sense of being blocked off/going nowhere.

This gives me a better understanding of 37. I have got to pay rent and eat or else I would have left this job long ago. I also am a person who needs to feel connected to and at home with my work, but I don't. Maybe many people feel that way but some don't become as miserable and are able to do the work as a means to an end without as much misery.

Line 3 can feel very uncomfortable in that some part of you feels a kind of shame about something. In her commentary Hilary writes this is shame about asking for what you need and I have found some truth in this but only you can say how it applies here. Where do you feel some sense of shame holds you back ?

I have got to think more about this because, of the many reasons I want to leave, shame is what drove me to ask the oracle if I actually should simply go now. I've had a romantic relationship with a coworker go sour and the anxiety around this person is somehow worse than the monotony and lack of purpose.

There is a lot more you wrote I'd like to respond to, but I won't bore you with the little details. Maybe the shame aspect is where I should direct my attention. That this time is mandated and that there is change going on below the surface resonates. It's just so difficult.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to say just because I felt the answer leaned towards staying where you are for now, not leaving before you find something else, that doesn't mean that's what the answer is totally pointing to.

I've put together chunks of the reading along with my own sense of it's overall direction but this is the kind of answer that's open to be interpreted quite differently so if you feel it is really time to leave or you feel the answer is saying that then you have to go with that.

Saying this as I don't want you to feel depressed if you think I'm saying 'I Ching says you must say'. I don't suppose you do anyway but we never know how people are going to receive interpretations offered.

I do feel it's a reassuring reading in any event. There is a kind of underground revolution of kinds in 12.1. So many things are interconnected. Tugging at one thing that feels wrong brings other wrong things to the surface and there's nothing like a sense of block in line 4 to make one very aware of the higher purpose/mandate in the whole thing. Looking back in years to come for example this time in your life might appear as a time where outwardly you felt blocked but inwardly you were especially aware and connected to your sense of life purpose.

I also am a person who needs to feel connected to and at home with my work, but I don't. Maybe many people feel that way but some don't become as miserable and are able to do the work as a means to an end without as much misery.

I think this paragraph is almost line 4 encapsulated. I sympathise, that feeling is the same for me and I've left many jobs without having another and I'm still here. In hindsight for me personally though I think I might have made things smoother for myself with a bit more forward planning though because there's no doubt alongside the glorious sense of freedom following walking out in the following weeks there can also be stress which I'm sure you're well aware of.

I have got to think more about this because, of the many reasons I want to leave, shame is what drove me to ask the oracle if I actually should simply go now. I've had a romantic relationship with a coworker go sour and the anxiety around this person is somehow worse than the monotony and lack of purpose.

Yes I think looking into that sense of shame is really important here because that can very much hold you back. When I've had this line I notice the shame is a very internalized thing, not even connected to anything anyone else might even recognise as an issue. The line says 'Embracing shame' (Hilary's) as if you wrap it up so deep inside yourself it invisibly pervades your whole relationship to the situation and halts your flow of expression. Might it help to advise that shamed part it need not hang on to itself and that in fact it need not feel ashamed ?

I've been considering your post over the last day or so and allowing it to shift my perspective about the oracle by thinking "I am" rather than "I will be."

We all naturally ask about the future and for sure our answers can refer to the future but I find that is always embedded in the now, future as extension of what is right now. So if stuck in understanding an answer as a picture of the future, as a sort of disconnected bubble from where we are now, then it always helps makes sense of it to see the answer as showing you where you are and the lines as developments from here. I may have sounded overly didactic as if one must always go to 'I am' rather than 'I will be' but it's not a rule or anything it just makes a much firmer base for interpretation.

heatwave

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks again, Trojina. I can understand the potential for concern in how a person might interpret the advice you or anyone gives. Rest assured, I finally posted here because I want to take time to consider other perspectives on my questions and don't hold anyone responsible for the way I use that input. Your response intuitively resonated and, with the benefit of a few days having passed, I see that I am where I need to be for right now and that new ideas and possibilities regarding work are coming into my mind each day. I hope things shift soon, but this is where I'm at for now.

It's funny, even when I have defied my readings in the past, they typically still manifest in one way or the other. I am still a novice but have so often felt counseled by the oracle to wait in whatever situation I'm in. That what is changing, if anything, isn't something I have direct control over. And the situation always does eventually change. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that this reading isn't all that different!

I admit I couldn't resist following up by asking When will I have a new job? [41.3.6 -> 11] rather than asking how. Just looking for a light at the end of the tunnel :rofl:

EmMacha

visitor
Reaction score
Quick observation:
Maybe the shame is about the shame of not having a job?
Or shame about leaving because of the co-worker situation?
As in, you might feel that it would appear that you left because of this person? (Even though the job itself is difficult).

Perhaps your family (or friends or community of people you love and trust) could help you with the transition, or give good advice re jobs. (background hexagram, could be your background, what is behind you).

Perhaps 12 is also showing that this job has blocked you from inspiration needed to seek and find other opportunities?

Re 41.3.6, i found this old thread that you might find useful
https://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?366-Looking-at-41-3-a-bit-differently

(it does actually refer to 41.3.6 and employment)

Think it means, don't wait for anyone to give you approval, go looking for a new job now, decrease your offering to the job you are in (energy, emotion, anxieties).
Every day you go in, treat it as the last term in a school you know you are leaving soon.
"This too will pass"

Pull back from this job tribe to find peace, inner peace, seek a job that creates peace>

Maybe it is saying that the job you need is one that creates peace?
It could be a social enterprise, a mediation service, working for the UN, anything that peace means to you!

It could also mean seek a job that does not demand much of you emotionally, that is not necessarily family to you. It might be good to seek a transition job that is emotionally easy; once you leave, once you clock out, it is gone from your mind. Even when you are there, it does not use too much of your own CPU space.

Then you can explore in peace the right job / vocation for yourself?

heatwave

visitor
Reaction score
EmMacha, thank you. Much of what you said fits my situation so perfectly.
Perhaps your family (or friends or community of people you love and trust) could help you with the transition, or give good advice re jobs. (background hexagram, could be your background, what is behind you).

I'm wondering if maybe there is some shame attached to this. I don't want to ask for help from my family though that could possibly make things easier.

Perhaps 12 is also showing that this job has blocked you from inspiration needed to seek and find other opportunities?
100x yes.

Think it means, don't wait for anyone to give you approval, go looking for a new job now, decrease your offering to the job you are in (energy, emotion, anxieties).
Every day you go in, treat it as the last term in a school you know you are leaving soon.

Yes! This is actually the attitude I've chosen to take... decrease my offering at this job. I'm leaving soon. It is very helpful and actually allows me appreciate where I am at for now.

Maybe it is saying that the job you need is one that creates peace?
It could be a social enterprise, a mediation service, working for the UN, anything that peace means to you!

So beautifully stated and exactly what I am looking for. Fingers crossed!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).