...life can be translucent

Menu

Yi and age: has anyone else felt the hexagrams corresponding to their age?

V

veavea

Now I know this is going to be one of those situations where it's very much about my own interpretation that I'm overlaying (at least, I think so?)...

But for the past few years I've been dimly aware that the hexagram numbers have been matching the theme of my age year. I think I noticed when I was 42, which was sept 2016-sept 2017, and was a year of gradual increase after a year of complete losses (41 - but I only noticed that in retrospect). in 41 the board was totally wiped clean.

43 was a tremendous year in many respects - well, I'm still in 43 until next month - so much change and personal breakthrough. Now I am about to hit 44 and feel that I really am about to encounter a new force in myself. I don't see 44 as a negative, especially after I had 44 for a really magical encounter with a deer (I've put that on this board somewhere).

I haven't been right the way back through my personal history looking for correspondences, as I don't want to force a meaning where there isn't one! Although I do somewhat think that if I did go right the way back through my life in this way, year by year, it might pull out some interesting correspondences and personal meaning for each of the hexagrams.

Anyone else had any thoughts or experiences similar?

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
I would suggest to stop this line of thinking, otherwise you may jinx yourself and die on your 65th birthday.

The chance encounter (44) you had with the deer turned out 'magical', but it very well could have went differently, one hoof to the temple and you never would have been able to tell the story. Consider yourself lucky. (I have walked around the woods at night and encountered deer as well) When you underestimate the power in a 44 situation, you do so at your own peril.

V

veavea

Oh my goodness!!!

Well thanks (I think?)!!!

I suspect deer in the uk are more benign perhaps than in North America? It was nowhere near enough to kick me in the temple and I wasn’t in the woods!! I was more afraid of scary men hiding in the bushes at the time so the deer encounter was very welcome.

Also I don’t consider the yi to end at 64, that’s kind of the point of the unending changes, surely?!

Plus if I die at 65, so what, I’ve got to die sooner or later. Doesn’t matter much when as long as I’ve done what I need to.

The encounter might have turned out differently - well no, not particularly, any more than any other situation such as slipping in the shower and breaking your neck or electrocuting yourself with a toaster!

But ok, warning heeded!! :)

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Anyone else had any thoughts or experiences similar?

veavea, I actually have had something similar to what you describe.
Not with age, but with the hexagram #'s also present in other components of the subject. I suspect this makes the spirits chuckle.

A few years ago I asked what would be good about working at a particular place. The answer was 26 unchanging. (I get to have some great conversations with some retirees, elders, and a cool ninety-three year old professor :) )
In addition to the meanings in 26, the address was also 26.

Recently I had a 'general' reading about a meeting to discuss a will.
It was 49.3.5 (51)

It turns out there was a Shocking(51) Change(49) from a previous will.
Two persons present knew the old will designated a 49/51 split of the assets between parties.
(both of the lines played out as well: my job was to keep quiet and take no initiative in the conversation (line 3), then a mild mannered elder (not mature) lady turned into a tiger (line 5) and expressed great anger loudly at the deceased. I just stayed very calm.

So, yes, I have experienced odd ways the readings coincide with the rest of reality.

Last edited:

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Someone close died when I was 64, but I think that was really totally completely coincidence. And that person lived a very long life himself.

Another thing though - where I live, retirement age is 65. Maybe the fact that there are 64 hexagrams is not so strange. Asking questions when you're in the middle of a busy working life is very different from a retired life. It would make sense for Yi to be economical and not make more hexagrams, when the set of 64 can be used again. The questions will be different, so a hexagram will be interpreted very differently as well.

Today I got 26.2, after I exploded because someone was very annoying. In the past I would have interpreted in a much more active way than now. I am past 65, and I simply had a good laugh - carriage overturned, but just repair that axle strip and put the whole thing upright again. Not like this happened in the middle of a busy life. Or an emergency or a race.

V

veavea

I did in fact go right back through every year of my life and found that each year did weirdly correspond thematically to the hex number. Back as far as age 13 at least - before that I couldn't pull out any correspondences (except perhaps going back as far as years 1-4, when they do kind of fit.) Between 17, 18 and 19, 19 was a really BAD year for me, I was depressed but the thing that kept me going that whole year was knowing that in the autumn I'd be leaving my home town to go to university. So it was very much that the here and now felt bad, but there was an optimism that something very positive was approaching (and it was). At 17 I was very much following along, doing the school thing and getting on with it - that morphed into 18, but 18 also sowed the seeds for the depression of 19. When I was just turning 19 my mother was diagnosed with cancer. She was fine in the end, and is still fine now, but - for me at least - the message of hexagram 18 was unknown to me when I was actually 18, but became apparent in 19 (gosh that was a lot of words).

I think that divination helps us to feel less fated, if and when we learn to use it well (still learning!). It is like the inscription at the oracle of Delphi, Know Thyself. As I approach 44 I feel more and more that what I will be encountering will be Myself. If I do this with full consciousness, rather than its opposite, then I am open to the lessons (whatever they may be). I can experience this in a helpless, fated way or I can approach it with both hands open.

At 65 I expect to be at the beginning of a new cycle - whatever that may look like...

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).