...life can be translucent

Menu

English grammar program - is it OK ???

S

svenrus

Hi, I've just downloaded a program called "Grammarly" from here:

https://www.grammarly.com/ for Windows (It's also accessible as a toolbar on Google Chrome for online use)

From my (Danish-speaking) point of view, it looks alright [it has just, when writing this, made corrections...] but has any of you, English speaking people here tried it and if so could you tell me if it works properly?

Thank You
(The above has been corrected with Grammarly for Google)

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I've just downloaded a program called "Grammarly" from here:

https://www.grammarly.com/ for Windows (It's also accessible as a toolbar on Google Chrome for online use)

From my (Danish-speaking) point of view, it looks alright [it has just, when writing this, made corrections...] but has any of you, English speaking people here tried it and if so could you tell me if it works properly?

Thank You
(The above has been corrected with Grammarly for Google)

The only error I see in your post, or rather Grammarly's error is

...'but has any of you' it should be 'but have any of you'.

It seems good from the rest of the way it's edited your post, although bear in mind there is a certain charm in the way non English speakers speak and write English. You see now Grammarly has edited your post you don't sound like you anymore.

Would you rather sound like you with some mistakes or not sound like you with perfect English ?

Take Lise's work. She does speak and write good English but she writes things in a way an English person wouldn't but she actually sometimes manages to convey more by her own sense of English than she would if she aimed to write like an English speaker.

F

Freedda

That word tense (or whatever it's called) -- the 'has any of you' vs. 'have any of you' thing -- is difficult in any language translation. It's good to get it correct if you can, but it may not always be possible. I studied Spanish in high school, but was never very good at it, except for the basic stuff. But considering the wide range of Spanish verb tenses -- Present, Imperfect, Preterite, Future, Conditional, Present Perfect, Pluperfect, Preterit Perfect, Future Perfect, Present Subjunctive .... is it any wonder people who speak Spanish can understand me at all!

And 'Mi Español es muy pequeño' doesn't mean 'I speak only a little Spanish' (as I was trying to say), but 'my Spanish is very small!'

David.

S

svenrus

I feel OK with grammatic errors when writing short postings & answers. But I also try to explain my relation to I Ching in a more comprehensive way. And I feel it has to be OK then. For example, the PDF's about the hexagrams and their relation to time I have posted here in Open Space in another thread.
But I can see that the Grammarly hasn't edited an important difference between HAS and HAVE.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
But I can see that the Grammarly hasn't edited an important difference between HAS and HAVE.

Yes but people would still know what you meant. That error doesn't get in the way of the meaning at all it just reads oddly.

S

svenrus

Well, thank You. I'll give it a try and in case of serious spelling errors, it will hopefully eliminate the worst.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).