...life can be translucent

Menu

Wise to allow debt in lean years in order to prosper in good years? 45.3 to 31

jeriwho

visitor
Reaction score
Hello! I am brand new to the forum as a member, though I have been reading for about three months.
I am an avid student of astrology, and in 2013 I foresaw that I would get very sick in 2014 or else suffer a severe injury. Turned out it was getting very sick. I was very sick for over a year, lost my job, and lost all my savings, even went hungry for a few months.

I am in my late 50s. now workign regularly, Thank God, and have a modest salary but GREAT benefits, including dental, health, and short term disability.

But I see that I will continue to struggle with money. I really am financially ruined, except that when I did see the danger ahead in 2013, I put every spare penny to paying off my tiny condo, and I own it clear. In view of the struggle ahead, a friend who is very wealthy advised me to invest in a cheap rental property to generate income. This sounds like a good idea, but the stars don't change. Struggle is ahead for the next ten years, alternating financially good years with bad years. So I wondered if I should just take the bad years in stride, just allow for debt up to buy and fix up rental properties, confident that in the good years I will make my money back and earn a profit.

The question I asked is, Is it wise (or will I make a profit) if I allow for debt in the lean years in order to earn a better profit in the good years?
My answer was 45.3, transforming to 31

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Thank you for any help.

PS: At first I thought that getting 45, "Gathering" was an indication that I am on the right course. I must gather the materials necessary to fix up the rental place(s) and rent them out.
But getting line 3 puzzled me. From the Legge translation:
"3. The third SIX, divided, shows its subject striving after union and seeming to sigh, yet nowhere finding any advantage. If he go forward, he will not err, though there may be some small cause for regret."

This confuses me. If I go forward and find no advantage, I will never get out of debt (or possibly get no renters), and yet the rest of the line indicates only small cause for regret.

Legge says this in a footnote: "Line 3 is weak, in the place of a strong line, and advanced from the central place. The topmost line, moreover, is no proper correlate. But its subject is possessed by the desire for union; and though 2 and 4 decline to associate with him, he presses on to 6, which is also desirous of union. That common desire brings them together, notwithstanding 3 and 6 are both divided lines; and with difficulty the subject of 3 accomplishes his object." But I'm not sure where he is getting this certainty.

But the transformed hexagram, Attraction (31) seems to be saying that it will all end well, with renters in place.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
If you were consulting the I Ching in your usual way then it really has no significance at all what date you asked.

If you had decided to use Weng Wang Gua or some such derivation of it then perhaps the date would be significant. If you didn't it is an utter irrelevance. Yi isn't a machine and doesn't just operates to dates and so on. It communicates in a living way rather than being a slot machine as I guess you know.

I was about to offer my interpretation based on the I Ching but if you want Weng Wang Gua I'll stay away as that has no connection to Yi for me at all.

It's good to be clear for your own interpretation what approach you had in mind when consulting.

jeriwho

visitor
Reaction score
OK, thank you just the same. I asked openly and will receive openly any opinion, including those whose opinion is that they cannot justifiably answer me.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I am in my late 50s. now workign regularly, Thank God, and have a modest salary but GREAT benefits, including dental, health, and short term disability.

But I see that I will continue to struggle with money. I really am financially ruined, except that when I did see the danger ahead in 2013, I put every spare penny to paying off my tiny condo, and I own it clear. In view of the struggle ahead, a friend who is very wealthy advised me to invest in a cheap rental property to generate income. This sounds like a good idea, but the stars don't change. Struggle is ahead for the next ten years, alternating financially good years with bad years. So I wondered if I should just take the bad years in stride, just allow for debt up to buy and fix up rental properties, confident that in the good years I will make my money back and earn a profit

You have a quite a fatalistic view of astrology. I understand astrology and don't think it is that rigid, that is aspects, progressions, transits can manifest in many forms. So I don't think the next ten years are all laid out as a struggle. In which case you need not act now as if everything will be a struggle and indeed your answer reflects that.

The question I asked is, Is it wise (or will I make a profit) if I allow for debt in the lean years in order to earn a better profit in the good years?
My answer was 45.3, transforming to 31

Looking at what the line says from Hilary's translation in Wikiwing

'Gathering together thus, lamenting thus.
No direction brings harvest.
Going on, no mistake.
Small shame.'

It's a very rueful sort of line. In general I'm taking 45 here as your wish to defend against poverty and struggle for the future by taking action now to bring resources together for the future. Generally 45 does advise one does this but this line says actually there is not much use in this. The 'lamenting' doesn't help anything. Worrying about the future trying to fix it now doesn't help at all. Hilary's commentary says something along the lines of 'the more you pour into this the more you lament'.

It is interesting that your post does in fact read as a lament. Now this is not diminish the fact that you are and have had quite a struggle but it seems to me that by projecting into the future, trying to save the future by investing in a property is throwing good money after bad...or something like that.

So no if it were my reading I would not head into debt here.

PS: At first I thought that getting 45, "Gathering" was an indication that I am on the right course. I must gather the materials necessary to fix up the rental place(s) and rent them out.
But getting line 3 puzzled me. From the Legge translation:
"3. The third SIX, divided, shows its subject striving after union and seeming to sigh, yet nowhere finding any advantage. If he go forward, he will not err, though there may be some small cause for regret."

This confuses me. If I go forward and find no advantage, I will never get out of debt (or possibly get no renters), and yet the rest of the line indicates only small cause for regret.

That's right 45 would indicate gathering resources to invest in your future but line 3 is showing such efforts just aren't timely at the moment. It's not that you would do anything wrong by going ahead but do you actually really want to go ahead ? This line makes me wonder if this is just something you feel you must do but don't especially want to and are only going to do because of your 'lamenting' vision of the future. I don't think this answer favours your plan.

Legge says this in a footnote: "Line 3 is weak, in the place of a strong line, and advanced from the central place. The topmost line, moreover, is no proper correlate. But its subject is possessed by the desire for union; and though 2 and 4 decline to associate with him, he presses on to 6, which is also desirous of union. That common desire brings them together, notwithstanding 3 and 6 are both divided lines; and with difficulty the subject of 3 accomplishes his object." But I'm not sure where he is getting this certainty.

That means little to me...line theory

But the transformed hexagram, Attraction (31) seems to be saying that it will all end well, with renters in place.

No. This is the most common error newbies here make. The relating hexagram, here 31, is not the end nor 'the future' it is the context, where you are in relation to the subject. Will link to a Blog post explaining https://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/answers/2013/06/01/the-old-resulting-hexagram-conundrum/

With one line changing you don't need to give a lot of thought to the relating hexagram, the emphasis is on that one line. This line shows you are deeply affected by what is driving you to make this choice so that may be the 31 influence.

jeriwho

visitor
Reaction score
Hello,
I have spent several days consulting my own star charts and thinking and praying and meditating. Your analysis was very helpful Trojina. I realized that I am too worried to try to do so much with so little. But another plan has been to mortgage my own condo, which has unexpectedly shot up in value, and use the cash to buy a less expensive house (a real house, with a yard, where Ben and Lucky can play, which I want for them very much. And I could plant a little garden. I have found an older house that needs a lot of work, but it is doable if the owner will sell at a reduced price. Best of all, it has a separate garage that is heated and wired. So over time if I am able, I could convert that to a little Air BnB and perhaps generate income from that.

Right now the plan is to get qualified for a loan on Monday, and if it is sufficient, to pay a low due diligence fee and then get an inspection on the new place. It's time to start packing in order to declutter this place, spiff it up, and try to get as much as I can from the bank.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).