...life can be translucent

Menu

Eldest son lost the lens out of his glasses: hexagram 17.1.4.6 » 20

EmMacha

visitor
Reaction score
Hello great and insightful I Ching Clarity community

My eldest son (20) was having a nap this afternoon, he went to pick up his glasses, and he heard the lens hit the floor. He said that he sat there for half an hour before starting to look for it.
He has not been feeling too good lately, he did not get the college place he wanted, and there have been other emotional difficulties for him recently.
It was the right lens, and I went into his room to try to help him look for it, where I noticed 2 other broken glasses, one with also the right lens missing.
I calmed him down, some food and a cup of tea.

Just enquired from the I-Ching as to the best way to find the lost lens. I think it skittered off under the bed while he was frantically looking for it. He thinks the kittens might have been playing with it.
On the positive, his room gets cleaner.

The result, 17.1.4.6 is interesting, as he is an artist.

I am still sitting with the cup of tea, my intuition telling me, 'be calm, you'll go up in a minute and find it straight away '
It can seem as if simply allowing yourself to be guided by the current is not enough, and you ought to be 'doing something'. But moving with the creative process is not a mistake.

Changing Lines

Line 1
'An official has a change of heart.
Constancy, good fortune.
Going out of the gates, joining with others, there is achievement.'

Maybe it is near the bedroom door?

Line 4
'Following makes a catch. Constancy, pitfall.
With truth and confidence, holding to the path with clarity,
How can this be wrong?'
I think this is the line with the net in other translations?
Following the creative process... well I asked him to describe his actions, but maybe it is amongst some art materials? (He's an illustrator, he draws).
It says to me, dont persevere, try too hard; but it is often that way, looking too hard for a lost item means hours of frustrated futility, and then you find the thing later!

Line 6
'Seized and bound to it,
And so joining and connected to it,
The king makes offering on the Western mountain.'

Maybe it is stuck to something? The bed clothes, a coat, something with velcro?

My first thought was under the bed. He told me that he looked there already.

Relating hexagram: 20
Seeing. Washing hands, and not making the offering.
There is truth and confidence like a presence.'

To see is not to focus on some specific thing, but to witness everything that comes into view, with open awareness like a heron seeing a lake.
... pause before falling automatically into the next step of the process, and see what is present before you respond. Into this space between actions comes truth, its presence as unmistakable as a great person's aura. You need only watch for it as it comes.

So maybe pause at the door and try to view the whole bedroom?
Don't try to look for the lens, just look with fresh eyes?

Anyone have any thoughts or insight please?
Thank You

EmMacha

visitor
Reaction score
Just an update:
We have still not found the lens, we have turned the room upside down. It is a *slightly* tidier room, I used the opportunity of helping him look to take some junk out and get some clothes washed.

Thing is, my eldest son has ASD and suffers from social anxiety, and depression. Sometimes he doesn't go out for days, even weeks.

Not yet getting the art college place has affected him more than I realized; however, losing the lens allowed a space for things to get talked about, and for me to become more aware of his difficulties.

He fixed a pair of old glasses himself (whole life I was in the room), cursing and blaming himself, while I told him things like: don't blame yourself, this happens to everyone.
Seems like line 4 to me.. we he's doing something for himself with support.

Ot has become apparent that he has quite a bit of other paperwork to sort out; he has wanted to handle it all himself, but things have gone a bit awry. He has some issues with his college applications too, the online system didn't register his previous courses. I know I need to look at it, but can only do so when he lets me!
So I (ostensably because I have the car) am bringing him tomorrow to sort out paperwork (travel pass, glasses repair, medical card etc).
So here, following the process of looking for the glasses lens has given an overview of the real issues, and the moving lines have helped me to know how to support him "from behind".

Line 4, not pushing things, just enough and then leaving him off till' he comes to me
Line 1 I have persuaded him to come to a gig with me on the weekend (a 'tropical festival ', just great for this time of year in rainy west Ireland ;) ), that people he knows will be at.
Line 6 I'm still not too sure of this line yet, maybe through this process, he'll feel more mastery over these things?
He certainly has improved dramatically over the last year, in terms of self organisation, and determination, which I made sure to tell him (things like: Oh look this drawer is quite organised, or oh those clothes didn't take too long to go through, or, wow this room is actually very organised).
Yes, so so far, this cast has been very useful.
I intend to continue following the situation, and keeping the hexagram 20 overview in the back of my mind.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).