...life can be translucent

Menu

Question about interpreting hexagrams

MapleTree

visitor
Reaction score
I've been reading various hexagram interpretations, and if I am correct sometimes I noticed that some members look to the same lines of the resulting hexagram for more insight. For example, hexagram 44.2.4 > 53, they would look also at 53.2.4 Why is that, and how do the same lines in resulting hexagram help? What do they signify?

F

Freedda

This more correctly should be on the exploring divination list, which I've requested.

F

Freedda

Maple Tree, I am not an expert on this, but I’ll kick it off and hopefully others can add or clarify (or correct me). To start, I am curious, did this come from a question or query you posted, or just some hexagrams and lines you picked for an example? And if it was from a query, would you mind sharing? I ask because I like to look at what the Yi is telling me in the context of what has been asked (but for your question, it’s not a requirement at all).

So ... I’ve never heard of people looking at the corresponding lines in the related, resultant or ‘change to’ hexagram to find out what's going on with your cast hexagram and lines. (Not that people don't, just that I've never heard of it.)

However, I do know that people will often take the changing lines individually, looking at the corresponding hexagram (called the Zhi Gua) and line (the Fan Yao) for each. So, in your reading 44.2.4 > 53 - this would be:

Hexagram 44 – (for the hexagrams, look at the oracle/judgement and image), then
Line 44.2, read the line, then look at Hexagram 33 and line 33.2, then
Line 44.4, read the line, then look at Hexagram 57 and line 57.4, then
Come back and look at the related Hexagram 53. (I believe that’s the correct sequence.)​

What I’m not fully clear about is how you'd interpret this. I’ve read that you should look to the Zhi Gua and Fan Yao to give some context to, and help you further understand your ‘original’ reading – 44.2.4 – and possibly to see what it is about for you (in this example, that would be when you look at 33 and 33.2 and 57 and 57.4). So you're looking for any words or phrases that might help you better understand what is going on in 44.2.4.

There are many people who get useful information from this. This isn’t my cup of tea however -- at least right now. My exploration of a reading usually contains too much information for me to easily distill, so ‘expanding’ a reading from two hexagrams and two lines into one that now has four hexagrams and four lines is way too much for me.

Another method that I’ve read about involves using “Transitional Hexagrams. It looks like:

Hexagram 44, then
Line 44.2, to 33, then
Line 33.2, then
Line 33.4, then to
Hexagram 53​

Again, I’m not sure how you interpret this (and also why line 44.4 is missing?), but I’d guess it is similar to how you’d look at the method above.

Best, David.

sylvia1ching

visitor
Reaction score
MapleTree,
From my understanding that is not correct. If that was the case then for an unchanging hexagram you should be able to utilize all the lines....

the First Hexagram you read the changing lines. There is a school of thought that suggests that you focus on the changing yielding lines only because the idea that the lines are moving from chaos to order. I do not adhere to that personally. I read that in R.L. Wings "The I Ching Workbook"

The Second Hexagram is the result should you follow the guidance of the changing lines in the First Hexagrams. Again that does apply across the board.

I do not look any of the lines in the Second Hexagram. I have not seen anywhere that the changing new lines of the resulting hexagram are open to the interpretation to the question.

The only reason I think one would do that is if they were have problems understand the meaning of the cast and how it applies to the question. In my experience it is not obvious BUT there is always a logic to why the cast is a result to the question.

I have been fortunate to see into the words even without the text that explains the "poems" or lines. When I do this work for certain people I try to draw in all the information I can and find analogies that can be sourced from anything from quantum physics, wave theory, literature, languages any thing.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).