...life can be translucent

Menu

I Ching - Mathematical Analysis

xiangshu

visitor
Reaction score
I'd like to enquire as to whether you know of any good books published before June 2014 on mathematical analysis of the I Ching?

S

svenrus

What I have met until now is Numerology which has little if nothing to do with mathematic. Bradford Hatcher strikes the relation to the binary order of the hexagrams - but the binary system I would also not set alike with mathematic....
In 2000 Alfred Huang authored 'Numerology of the I Ching' *) but I haven't found any math here either.

Do You mean mathematic in relation to the hexarams ? Or mathematic in relation to the systemitification of the Trigrams ie The early- and Later Heaven arrangements ? Or the socalled 'He Tu' and 'Lo Shu' Diagrams

*) Inner Traditions 2000

-------------------------------

Also, Paul Martyn Smith has written the "Sum of Things". A PDF can be downloaded here.

A screen-shot from this page with other possible downloads:

pms.jpg

Last edited:

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
Maybe something like Chris Lofting's I Ching - Language of the Vague would fit the bill. Not much numerology and shed loads of XOR-ing.

p mac

visitor
Reaction score
The Path of Treading and the value's of Precession.

Maybe something like Chris Lofting's I Ching - Language of the Vague would fit the bill. Not much numerology and shed loads of XOR-ing.

Are we interested in the narrative in the I Ching, as this informs us on treading or Conduct along the Path or Way, but it also gives us directions on the most ancient maths known to mankind. The finding of the counts and divisions of Precession in the trigrams and their doubling into Hexagrams produces a totally symmetrical set of Binary Opposites all with a common or average value in the pairings. This maths and the ordering of the Light and Dark Alternations attributed to the Yellow Emperors 2000 BCE, but also the whole construction of the River maps is taken back to Fu Hsi 3500 BCE. The date for Fu Hsi appears to tie in with a culture found in Central Asia, and of links back to Shamanism. The path of treading is action without blame, as in 'The Middle' stands the line's of man, that either block or help the flow of energy from Earth to Heaven, as energy is contained within the Outer-covering (with the body) rises up into each situation, and one's actions in each brings a return (a penalty) that is correct or is destructive. By understanding universal Law, in which each part acts for the mutual benefit of the whole was seen also as the civilisation of the universe, and of Man, as when Man comprehends his true nature is an undivided whole then the position of one's motives for gain or loss are made redundant when they are personally based. The I Ching describes the drives or energies within the body as seen in the visual activity of Mind, and shows that action's taken due to these visions and dialogue of personal gain and the prevention of personal loss, are inferior in nature as the body is the animal. That our own body is linked to all other animals, and to One Nature, this gives us the attributes of the Trigrams and the situations described in each Hexagram. The Light and Dark Lines have a correct or an incorrect placement within the Hexagrams, as the Law is Firmness within (the 3rd line is firm and the 4th line of Man is Yielding without in the 4th Line). The texts of the I Ching gives the practice of Inner Control (how to ride the horse properly) and Outer Harmony (to find the clear position within all created movements). The Inferior is seen in the image of the Wild Pig or Boar, as it's habits are linked to the created body that roots around within the earth to get food, these are the hidden roots of intrigue and manipulation. The inferior always thinks of a 'Self', whereas the great is 'Selfless'.

The maths within the I Ching are those also seen in many other cultures, as in the base of 1 to 9 = 10, so the Ho Tu = 55, and makes the Lo Shu = 45 (Cn 5 Outer diagonals 10s) = 2160 + 6480 and 4320 + 8640 = 12960 - giving a total of 25,920 and 51840 (The GP's angle of incline 51850 Bauval = an error 0.00001 in maths to actual building). The base of +6s and 7s are bound into the Trigrams/Trines = 123 = 6 and 124 = 7 as a pattern found within numbers to their finality. The pattern within all numbers = 9 x 9 and 10 x 10, with each line of 1 to 9, 2 to 8 3 to 7 and 4 to 6 producing the exact values wanted when the value of 5 is matched in the 5th Element with 5 = 30 and 10s = 60 (The Lo Shu).

In the counts of 7s the value of 5 = 35 and 10 = 70, and the addition of 105 x 3 = 315, or x 6 = 630, as in the whole the pairing found all = 3s, 6s and 9s. The value of 126 given produces the exact addition to the Earth's Rotational value 8640 = the Solar Count and the Solar Radius. The Lunar = 1080 Rad, and the value of 384 = the amount of days in 13 Lunar synodic Months (a near exact figure) 29.53. So the values of the 360 are given as the divisions counted, as before the atomic clock 86400 degrees was counted at Greenwich UK., to define the Earth's rotation.

https://www.academia.edu/37628816/Demonstration_of_Precession_in_the_Nine-Stack_Mountain

F

Freedda

why?

xiangshu"

I am curious about the "why" behind your question. Is there a particular reason you're asking this? Do you want to see if there is any math related to the Yi that would help in doing a reading or in interpreting the Yi? Or are you just generally interested in seeing what math or math analysis might be applied here?

Regards, David.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).