...life can be translucent

Menu

Hacker on the loose (?)

S

svenrus

The email with wich I'm in contact with some of You personal and with the onlineclarity in special has been declared hacked yesterday. The person sended me an email from my own emailadress declaring that he/she would spread virus, injuries - all kind of bad stuff via my emailadress to my contacts unless I payed around 800 dollars in BitCoin within 48 hours.
Off course I didn't and will not pay anything and the first thing I did was to contact my email-company who adviced me how to change settings in my email-account beside running a full antivirus on my Pc (which I did with my Norton account).

I hope this will work but if You with whom I'm in contact here don't feel sure and receives email from: www@svenrus.dk with attachements - for security don't open any of those as they (hopefully not....) can be infected. And delete them in the nearest future to come.

I will try to follow this up because as I was told often someone tries to scare You to pay money without having any real access to your Pc or email account.

I hope that this "hacker" just belong to this category.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
wondering if @hilary; needs to know

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I had one of these emails not long ago. It was a bit alarming, because the subject line contained a password I've actually used in the past. Then the email begins, 'Is that your password...?' and continues with the blackmail about having access to my computer, being about to delete all my files unless I pay up, etc, etc. The password was one I'd used for Yahoo back in the day, before their database was hacked. It actually didn't mean the sender of the email had any access to my computer at all.

(Note: sending an email apparently from your account with a malicious attachment is easy. Any old spammer can do it, any time. What the spammers/hackers can't do is write emails that sound as if they come from you.)

I suggest you pick a phrase from the email and Google it. You will probably find a lot of other people who've received the same message (because of course these are blasted out in their thousands), and some expert advice on what's actually behind it.

S

svenrus

Actual the reason why I took notice of this email was that my password (a very specific one) was partly written. Some characteres in it were not - wich gave me the thought that the person (or program) behind knew the whole of the password (an ugly way to tell me that maybe).
I've received many strange email along the way but none before sended from my own adress with a declaration of my password (well: most of it).
I hope that it's just one of those Hilary mentions....

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I have had in the past several fake emails from @rosada; using her actual surname which may have changed. I don't know how this could have happened.

Also had fake emails that look like they are from friends but you can tell they aren't because they say things the friend wouldn't say.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Needless to say, any password sent to you in one of these emails is now in the public domain. Replace it everywhere - hopefully you did that years ago... - and set up 2-factor authentication wherever you can.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).