...life can be translucent

Menu

A Visit With My Old Friend

Relgie

visitor
Reaction score
I first started visiting the I Ching over 30 years ago and then I had many questions. Over the years, as long as I was clear, I received wonderful advice. Sometimes, when impatient, I would receive stern advice which indicating I needed more clarity of mind rather than advice on what action to take...Now, I have learned from the I Ching to take “correct action” without casting the oracle, but, occasionally as today, I do cast the oracle only to visit as an old friend who does not need advice but only company. If you are interested in this it is simple, instead of holding a question in your mind you keep your mind empty. Meditate first, and then retain the state of no-mind as best as you can as you cast all six lines.Consider this, it has always been rewarding for me and has allowed me to develop a personal friendship in the I Ching. Peace out

F

Freedda

Thanks Relgie. That is a great idea and I'll try it.

Sometimes people will do 'open readings' where you asking something like: "what do I need to pay attention to right now?" Or, "tell me something about this week."

In the readings you're describing, it's more that your just holding the meditative moment ... and "asking":

" _______ ."

As an aside, I sometimes like to hide what the consecutive coin tosses (or whatever method you're using) are, so I don't start to ruminate on them, e.g. "gee, my first toss was a non-moving line, I wonder if the next one will also be one," or "I've tossed three sixes in a row, I wonder what that means and if I can get six of them in a row, and ..." which just takes away from concentrating on the query, whatever it is.

Best, David

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
In the Portable Dragon there is a some advice (somewhere at the back of the book) saying some thing like having learnt it's ways then a break from the I Ching is a valuable part of developing ones relationship with the speaker of wisdom.

Relgie

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks David for your insightful reply. I find it endearing to hear how the I Ching teaches us the right way to live. I remember going to the oracle often for advice on managing drama, which in turn taught me to stop creating drama. This emergence from mind and emotion drama is clearly traced to what you describe in a process-oriented way, noticing how the mind will keep trying to come in and take over. It is hard to find the words, but it is awesome how the I Ching strives to help us move past the childish mind and emotion drama toward higher awareness. Of course there are other ways but I love how the I Ching is so personal and personable too! Be well.

Relgie

visitor
Reaction score
That makes sense. I was a mental health nurse for many years and I noticed that once people develop a trust in their therapist they often get overly dependent and unable to make decisions without consulting that therapist. On the one hand, it is terrific to have the assistance in making life decisions but in my experience anyway it seems like the I Ching taught me to no longer need the I Ching except as a friend. I do believe that even this is evolving as I feel an emergence from this duality toward oneness, but words begin to fail me at this point because language is inherently dualistic. Thank you!

S

svenrus

.....Now, I have learned from the I Ching to take “correct action” without casting the oracle, but, occasionally as today, I do cast the oracle only to visit as an old friend who does not need advice but only company. .....

I often do the same. No specific question except this: Anything to be aware of ? (Behind this it's implicit that the I is an old friend or maybe rather an amazing councelor)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).