Menu

What does the life want me to learn at this moment? 7.3.4 >32

marybluesky

visitor
Reaction score
Hello!

I asked I Ching "What does the life want me to learn at this moment?"
The result: 7.3.4 >32

The 7th hexagram is the Army: "What are you aiming for? How can you get more from your strengths? With all your efforts, are you creating the life you want?"
This hexagram is also called Discipline in some translations: "The army needs perseverance and a strong man. Good fortune without blame."
So I should learn to unify and manage my forces in order to get want I want out of life...

Then comes the 3rd line: "Perhaps the army carts corpses – pitfall."
"The great without achievement indeed... Despite its large number, [the army] does not succeed. There is an absence of vision and leadership. Whether it is a matter of divergent goals or whether the acting leader is simply inept, the result is the same: misfortune."
Although there is great power and potential, I fail to manage it well, therefore don't succeed in achieving what I want. I'm somehow wasting my resources.

The 4th line talks about retreat: "The army camps on the left – no mistake."
"The obstacles ahead are insurmountable. Struggling against them is useless. Therefore the intelligent maneuver is retreat."
So I have to learn when to give up and accept what I can't change.

The relating hexagram is 32- Lasting (Consistency): "How can you continue on the same path, even as you adapt? Who will you become by persevering in this?"

The overall message sounds like: Set your goals, direct your forces toward them, take a mature attitude, keep the instability and diversion in check, don't waste and neglect what you have- use it as a means of turning your life into what you want-, know your limits meanwhile, ... and be consistent in all this: that's what the life wants to teach me.

I appreciate your comments and interpretations.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yes and to me it looks like in order to preserve overall continuity in you need to take your foot off the gas for a while and chill out (7.4) this might be because currently you are labouring under some old or false ideas about things, maybe who you are or what you need to do (7.3)

So although you have objectives I think how you go about it all, how you proceed might need a rethink. Don't just forge ahead now stand back, be like the army camping on the left (7.4) they haven't given up but they need some time to recoup and see what's what.

I don't see this as advice to drive yourself harder, you might be carrying some ideas that aren't working so just ease off for a while.

Maybe life demands nothing from you maybe life wants you to receive ?

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
"What does the life want me to learn at this moment?"
7:3.4 >32

At the moment life is giving you opportunities to

7: Deal with the turmoil in your life in a masterful way.
line 3 - bringing opportunities for you to re-evaluate your feelings and emotions and allow the healing to take place
line 4 - take a time-out, step back away from the noise and allow a new perspective to develop
32: Then bring new behaviours and thoughts into your world so that they can be a springboard for great things going forward.

Good Luck

F

Freedda

So, Mary, am I too late to the game? Has your moment already become past, so maybe my advice is now irrrelevant? No matter. I agree with what others have said, and will only add:

For 32, Lasting / Continuity, I think this might be suggesting that whatever path, tactic, approach, attitude you try, that you do so for a while, at least enough time to see results, and maybe a bit longer for good measure.

One great mistake of modern, or new age spiritually I feel is that many of us flit from one thing to another - doing Zen Buddhism one moment, tantric yoga the next, then crystals, then the I Ching, then fasting, then trying ayahuasca, then joining NA - often doing this because we don't get instant results or because it makes us feel uncomfortable (when being with our uncomfortableness may be the point).

Gua 32 seems to suggest another attitude: to stay with, to try a bit of continuity, endurance, steadiness, consistency - at least for more than a 'moment.'

Best, David :bows:

Last edited:

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
As advice from Life I read 32. Duration and hear The Beatles singing "Oh Blah Dee Oh Blah Dah, Life Goes On".
I think Life's key lesson to you and us all is It Goes On.

Then looking at the lines for 7.3.4 I hear the lyrics to The Gambler,":

7.3 "Know when to hold'em" Hanging on to the past only drags you down.
7.4 "Know when to fold'em". If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Good question!

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
Then looking at the lines for 7.3.4 I hear the lyrics to The Gambler,":

7.3 "Know when to hold'em" Hanging on to the past only drags you down.
7.4 "Know when to fold'em". If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Love this take of the lines Rosada. Kenny Rogers - a magnificent wordsmith !!
Another insight from the song for this reading

Every gambler knows
That the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away
And knowin' what to keep.

Full lyrics so we can have an I Ching community sing along

On a warm summer's evening
On a train bound for nowhere
I met up with a gambler
We were both too tired to sleep
So we took turns a-starin'
Out the window at the darkness
The boredom overtook us
And he began to speak

He said, "Son, I've made a life
Out of readin' people's faces
And knowin' what the cards were
By the way they held their eyes.
So if you don't mind my sayin'
I can see you're out of aces
For a taste of your whiskey
I'll give you some advice."

So I handed him my bottle
And he drank down my last swallow
Then he bummed a cigarette
And asked me for a light
And the night got deathly quiet
And his face lost all expression
Said, "If you're gonna play the game, boy,
You gotta learn to play it right.

You got to know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away,
And know when to run.
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealing's done.

Every gambler knows
That the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away
And knowin' what to keep.
'Cause every hand's a winner,
And every hand's a loser,
And the best that you can hope for
Is to die in your sleep."

And when he finished speakin'
He turned back toward the window
Crushed out his cigarette
And faded off to sleep
And somewhere in the darkness
The gambler he broke even
And in his final words
I found an ace that I could keep

You got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
When you're sittin' at the table
When the dealing's done

You've got to know when to hold 'em
(When to hold 'em)
Know when to fold 'em
(When to fold 'em)
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
When the dealing's done

You got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
When the dealing's done

Last edited:

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Wow - Thank you so much for posting the full lyric, my_key. I had just heard the snippet of chorus in the back of my mind and went with that but I hadn't reviewed the entire song. Boy, does that song ever express the summation of Life's Teachings!

Also thank you for mentioning Kenny Roger's talents as a ,. I hadn't considered him in that light before and as I read his work with that thought in mind, visualizing Kenny writing, I experienced a tremendous sense of joy at the completion - much as what he must have felt writing - or giving birth really - to this divinely inspired poem.

Love it when we can match a hexagram to a lyric!

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
Rosada
I seem to remember back a long time ago that there were a series of threads where songs titles and lyrics were assigned to hexagrams. There was good fun ans some interesting insights I seem to recall. The IC is just sitting there all around us.

Kenny Rogers - Coward of the County Hex 9 ?

Good Luck

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Yeah, the song lyric thread was great fun - does anyone know what it was called? i'd like to find it and tack it on to the Memorizing the I Ching threads to make it easily accessible for future generations.

Coward of the County could definitely go with Speak Truth to Power 9!

marybluesky

visitor
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Now I see what I Ching suggested me to learn & do: to Rally my Forces (7) and Endure & Continue (32) my life.
7.3: "Perhaps the army carts corpses – pitfall." Yes I did carry corpses from past...
7.4: "The army camps on the left – no mistake." So needed to stop & heal myself in order to regain vitality to keep on living as it should.
Thanks everybody. Your interpretations were all helpful :)

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
I've looked but run out of words to search on. It must be way back too - perhaps it's been archived.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).