...life can be translucent

Menu

5.2.3.5 > 24 Committment phobia! :)

Piscean

visitor
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been very confused for the past couple weeks. I am a recent graduate and university was mostly a rubbish experience. I learnt a lot during that time about the idea of life purpose and meaningful work, wealth from the perspective of how income from a job is not going to make you financially secure a.k.a the rat race, wealth from the spiritual perspective of following inspired action and doing what you are passionate about. All of this has made me want to pursue my own creativity and try unorthodox or less job dependent ways of creating in the world and making income at the same time. I'm always trying to notice signs from the universe and synchronicities, but i feel like i'm being pulled in all directions, especially with people telling me to get a job, an astrology reading i purchased which said getting a job is likely to benefit me financially rather than my own creative pursuits so some compromise may be needed, and getting emails from a careers lady at university who keeps asking to meet and call me about job seeking. I even wanted to get a job for the most part, but there's always been either forces outside me that seem to thwart or make such attempts difficult, for example the ability to get references (one of my personal tutors was really rude to me even though i'd only spoken to her once, ignored my email for a meeting once, she just didn't like me and i realised i couldn't get a reference from her), when i was doing volunteer work to improve my CV my parents caused drama for me that caused me to have to move out and live with my grandma which made it difficult for me to go and some other criticisms from my mother about my volunteer work. Then there was my own committment issues, a weak commitment towards that kind of endeavour makes it difficult for me to bother, i feel like it's not worthwhile... i ended up just leaving the volunteer place without telling them, one time i missed a university exam because i was so unprepared as the work felt incredibly meaningless (still managed to get a first from my degree thankfully). My mind has been so overtaken with the idea that if i am not committed to something, i should just not go for it, it makes it more difficult to pursue something like a job just for money, i worry that my weak committment will not only make the whole job seeking process ineffective, but then even if i manage to get something, i'll mess it up by virtue of being unhappy and not committed. Given all those thoughts for some context, i asked the I Ching "What outcome is likely if i job seek? Should i?" I got 5.2.3.5 (Waiting) leading to 24 (Returning). I'm new to the I Ching so i find it very difficult to interpret, what are your thoughts? Sorry i can't seem to create paragraphs on this!

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Have a go at it - you can see what 5 is, read the lines. It is important to give your own take on it.If you don't read and write something about hexagram 5 then we would have to tell you which is silly because it is clear what 5 is called - also this generally is requested see sticky below so am not just picking on you

https://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/fri...59-How-to-get-the-most-from-sharing-a-reading

I think us older ones are better off because before the internet we had to sit and think about our answers and couldn't just hop online for someone to read for us. You have a first class degree you can read something of this I'm sure. I'd feel a bit silly saying 'well hexagram is all about......' to someone who can open a book, or look around here, and see what it's called and what it's about.

It's an interesting answer but one that definitely requires your participation in interpretation to unravel.

Piscean

visitor
Reaction score
Have a go at it - you can see what 5 is, read the lines. It is important to give your own take on it.If you don't read and write something about hexagram 5 then we would have to tell you which is silly because it is clear what 5 is called - also this generally is requested see sticky below so am not just picking on youhttps://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/fri...59-How-to-get-the-most-from-sharing-a-readingI think us older ones are better off because before the internet we had to sit and think about our answers and couldn't just hop online for someone to read for us. You have a first class degree you can read something of this I'm sure. I'd feel a bit silly saying 'well hexagram is all about......' to someone who can open a book, or look around here, and see what it's called and what it's about.It's an interesting answer but one that definitely requires your participation in interpretation to unravel.
I have a number of different thoughts​
1) Waiting is asking for the small steps in the job direction, so i don't overwhelm myself by thinking about the whole process, as that kicks in my resistance, and i worry about it's effect on my personal energy. Returning is where those small steps accumulate to find momentum at a certain point down the road.​
2) Waiting also feels like doing something with active intention where you have a desire to reach the goal. I read somewhere, Waiting as perseverance, consistency, uncompromising strength in a cautious manner, to slowly dissolve obstacles. The thing is, with this kind of waiting, you have a great desire to reach the goal ultimately, and with my great resistance to job seeking, i don't know if i can apply the Waiting in this manner.​
3) Going back to point two however, what if my desire builds and resistance lessens, the more i am engaged in Waiting with Returning as a catalyst, where Returning says to slowly build up strength in this direction.​
4) More context: Me and my sister will be leaving our family for good mid to late 2019, moving somewhere completely different. I'm wondering if Waiting is asking to take action for a job when my circumstances have changed. Returning i read somewhere is about recovery, and how everything returns to it's opposite. So with increase and decrease, the decrease could be now, for increase and momentum to be sought in the job searching later. Returning also as recuperation in the now, with Waiting as holding intention but not necessarily taking action.​
5) When it comes to responding at the current time to help with job seeking by going into Uni and seeking careers advice, i wonder also if Waiting is saying not to respond as different circumstances may come in time, which also support the overall intention/direction of job seeking, but to at least keep the intention. Returning is saying likewise recuperate for now, seek less, and you will be prepared for seeking more, for returning to the intention when new influences/circumstances come in.​

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Wow I am glad I asked as you have such a wealth of ideas to share. I'm going to think about your reading for a while but meantime re this

Sorry i can't seem to create paragraphs on this!

Not your fault but down to a forum bug that affects newcomers and stops them making paragraphs, editing and all sorts. I hear this is all in hand for an overhaul but meantime Hilary suggests you try these remedies which I have copied from her

Workarounds for paragraphs: switch editor, or switch browser.

To switch editor:
Go to 'General Settings', https://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/frie...do=editoptions
Towards the bottom of this page under 'Miscellaneous options' switch message editor to 'Standard editor'
At the bottom of the page click the 'save changes' button

Browsers that work better: Internet Explorer (heaven help us all) and Edge.

The workaround for anything that 'hangs', ie show you a spinny 'working' icon but never works, is to right-click it and choose 'open in new tab'.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I don't find it an easy one to interpret but my first thought was the same as what you have written

Waiting is asking for the small steps in the job direction, so i don't overwhelm myself by thinking about the whole process, as that kicks in my resistance, and i worry about it's effect on my personal energy. Returning is where those small steps accumulate to find momentum at a certain point down the road

Yes I agree with you there. Just reading your first post, Yi aside for a moment, I think I could relate to that feeling of overwhelm which is I think something younger people suffer more from because having a whole life ahead they tend to see everything in terms of a really big picture. Well I could relate anyway as I think I had those similar kinds of thought -'there's no point doing that if in the end XY or Z will happen'. Some say younger people only think of right now but I think there's this other dimension where they project so far into the future and also think in terms of their lives theoretically, more abstractly in a way because it's all still a wide open book but it is a pressure in itself. So there is certainly the sense of pressure and Yi gives you 5.2.3.5>24

2) Waiting also feels like doing something with active intention where you have a desire to reach the goal. I read somewhere, Waiting as perseverance, consistency, uncompromising strength in a cautious manner, to slowly dissolve obstacles. The thing is, with this kind of waiting, you have a great desire to reach the goal ultimately, and with my great resistance to job seeking, i don't know if i can apply the Waiting in this manner.

There's a lot about how to wait in 5 and you are at least, in part, looking at line 5 also being advised to wait in a pleasurable confident way.

3) Going back to point two however, what if my desire builds and resistance lessens, the more i am engaged in Waiting with Returning as a catalyst, where Returning says to slowly build up strength in this direction.

I think primarily you aren't being advised to 'do' but to wait.

4) More context: Me and my sister will be leaving our family for good mid to late 2019, moving somewhere completely different. I'm wondering if Waiting is asking to take action for a job when my circumstances have changed.

My impression of the cast is that this waiting is to do with the process of an organic change (24)

Neither hexagram has to do with active doing or taking initiative. Together in this reading, which taken as sentence is 'Waiting's Return' it appears to be something like attending on/waiting for a whole new cycle to begin.

No one can make 24 happen. it's that moment of change the darkest hour before the dawn, the solstice period. So 24 is the very lowest point from which the light can return but we don't see spring coming on the solstice day do we ? Although the shortest day has passed and from there on each day the light grows more and more it's still a long Wait till spring. So what do we do meantime ?

Well I think whilst this return - and I can't be sure what that is for you it could well be connected to the move in 2019 -is coming about, (and I think you are already in the process of it, and what is more I think you instinctively know it) Yi is advising you on how to go about attending on it and waiting for it. Hexagram 5 says that you must wait with truth and confidence, not anxiety. You can be sure of the return, there is no cause for anxiety. The Image says that one eats and drinks and listens to music as if nothing else mattered other than having a pleasant time. Do you think you could do that ?

Do you think between now and the move next year you could do exactly what you felt like doing ? It might be you feel like making some money and doing an ordinary job for a while or it might be that you instead spend time exploring avenues you might see as leading to an alternative kind of employment that you spoke about.

One thing you really do not need to worry about right now is the long term ramifications of your actions. Things are already prey well underway which is why you are waiting - your task is to decide how to wait and Yi says 'enjoy yourself'.

In line 2 there is anxiety and a sense of shifting sands for sure but this ought not to worry you - Yi says these niggles are small in comparison to that which you wait upon.

I think line 3 is what not to do. It's a warning not to let uncertainties drown you because then robbers can come whilst you are stuck in the mud and the mud would be an anxious state of indecision I think. It's okay, you can chill out, you mustn't let pressure force you into places you don't want to go. By line 5 you are actually taking pleasure in the moment as if tomorrow can take care of itself which is pretty much what you were saying here

Waiting is asking for the small steps in the job direction, so i don't overwhelm myself by thinking about the whole process, as that kicks in my resistance, and i worry about it's effect on my personal energy. Returning is where those small steps accumulate to find momentum at a certain point down the road

There is a rather large 'reset to zero' button going on your life (24) and I feel it's an organic reset, a life change that is going to happen as if destined, it's part of your organic life direction - for want of better words. Whilst that happens you need to wait in a good place in your head and you can do that by simply beginning to do things you quite like to do right now - never mind commitment , it's not as if anyone even has a 'job for life' these days anyway. Yi recommends things that take your mind off this waiting period and it also says you can afford to be confident that things will be okay.

Returning i read somewhere is about recovery, and how everything returns to it's opposite. So with increase and decrease, the decrease could be now, for increase and momentum to be sought in the job searching later. Returning also as recuperation in the now, with Waiting as holding intention but not necessarily taking action.[/indent][indent

I'm not quite sure where you are getting increase and decrease from unless you mean the return of the light ? But yes I don't think now is the time to job search with a view to certain future developments- there's other stuff going on for you and it's quite deeply rooted in your own life path beyond this job or that job, this or that career path.

When it comes to responding at the current time to help with job seeking by going into Uni and seeking careers advice, i wonder also if Waiting is saying not to respond as different circumstances may come in time, which also support the overall intention/direction of job seeking, but to at least keep the intention. Returning is saying likewise recuperate for now, seek less, and you will be prepared for seeking more, for returning to the intention when new influences/circumstances come in.

Yes exactly, I have the feeling you have far more of an intuition about the direction of things for you right now than any career advisor. For sure I don't see Yi here asking you to set armies marching or stride forth or even be decisive, that way of being isn't right for you right now and you know it.

It's not commitment phobia it's you being in tune with the flow of your life.

:bows:

Piscean

visitor
Reaction score
I don't find it an easy one to interpret but my first thought was the same as what you have writtenYes I agree with you there. Just reading your first post, Yi aside for a moment, I think I could relate to that feeling of overwhelm which is I think something younger people suffer more from because having a whole life ahead they tend to see everything in terms of a really big picture. Well I could relate anyway as I think I had those similar kinds of thought -'there's no point doing that if in the end XY or Z will happen'. Some say younger people only think of right now but I think there's this other dimension where they project so far into the future and also think in terms of their lives theoretically, more abstractly in a way because it's all still a wide open book but it is a pressure in itself. So there is certainly the sense of pressure and Yi gives you 5.2.3.5>24There's a lot about how to wait in 5 and you are at least, in part, looking at line 5 also being advised to wait in a pleasurable confident way. I think primarily you aren't being advised to 'do' but to wait. My impression of the cast is that this waiting is to do with the process of an organic change (24)Neither hexagram has to do with active doing or taking initiative. Together in this reading, which taken as sentence is 'Waiting's Return' it appears to be something like attending on/waiting for a whole new cycle to begin.No one can make 24 happen. it's that moment of change the darkest hour before the dawn, the solstice period. So 24 is the very lowest point from which the light can return but we don't see spring coming on the solstice day do we ? Although the shortest day has passed and from there on each day the light grows more and more it's still a long Wait till spring. So what do we do meantime ?Well I think whilst this return - and I can't be sure what that is for you it could well be connected to the move in 2019 -is coming about, (and I think you are already in the process of it, and what is more I think you instinctively know it) Yi is advising you on how to go about attending on it and waiting for it. Hexagram 5 says that you must wait with truth and confidence, not anxiety. You can be sure of the return, there is no cause for anxiety. The Image says that one eats and drinks and listens to music as if nothing else mattered other than having a pleasant time. Do you think you could do that ?Do you think between now and the move next year you could do exactly what you felt like doing ? It might be you feel like making some money and doing an ordinary job for a while or it might be that you instead spend time exploring avenues you might see as leading to an alternative kind of employment that you spoke about.One thing you really do not need to worry about right now is the long term ramifications of your actions. Things are already prey well underway which is why you are waiting - your task is to decide how to wait and Yi says 'enjoy yourself'. In line 2 there is anxiety and a sense of shifting sands for sure but this ought not to worry you - Yi says these niggles are small in comparison to that which you wait upon.I think line 3 is what not to do. It's a warning not to let uncertainties drown you because then robbers can come whilst you are stuck in the mud and the mud would be an anxious state of indecision I think. It's okay, you can chill out, you mustn't let pressure force you into places you don't want to go. By line 5 you are actually taking pleasure in the moment as if tomorrow can take care of itself which is pretty much what you were saying here There is a rather large 'reset to zero' button going on your life (24) and I feel it's an organic reset, a life change that is going to happen as if destined, it's part of your organic life direction - for want of better words. Whilst that happens you need to wait in a good place in your head and you can do that by simply beginning to do things you quite like to do right now - never mind commitment , it's not as if anyone even has a 'job for life' these days anyway. Yi recommends things that take your mind off this waiting period and it also says you can afford to be confident that things will be okay.I'm not quite sure where you are getting increase and decrease from unless you mean the return of the light ? But yes I don't think now is the time to job search with a view to certain future developments- there's other stuff going on for you and it's quite deeply rooted in your own life path beyond this job or that job, this or that career path.Yes exactly, I have the feeling you have far more of an intuition about the direction of things for you right now than any career advisor. For sure I don't see Yi here asking you to set armies marching or stride forth or even be decisive, that way of being isn't right for you right now and you know it.It's not commitment phobia it's you being in tune with the flow of your life.:bows:
Totally, the pressure thing is what i was feeling, that if i don't act now to try and find something, it will mean when i really need a job i'm going to be unemployable from lack of experience. I value my time a lot so i like to use it to explore creative hobbies and learn new things which a job can take away. Being unemployed i'm having a great time, when i leave home i'd like to make new friends and that will help with not just being lost in my bubble. So Waiting in that way for me is the best advice i could hear, i guess it's a thumbs up that i'm doing fine!​
I like the whole organic change and solstice analogy, it definitely feels like everything is in flow i just need to ensure other people or my own mind doesn't convince me i should be worried!​
Also what you say about long term ramifications, that is exactly what i was worried about, but i like your elaboration on how Waiting indicates not worrying about that, and how Returning can be seen as an organic reset button, it's just that part of the cycle where the old is winding down and the new is is replenishing till it's time to jump in.​
With the careers advisor it is actually this internship programme i signed up to, i did a reading on it and got 62 unchanging, which i think is about small actions, so i made an appointment since i was asked. I mainly made it because i needed to stop my mind thinking about what would i have missed from not going and i think that was a useful step to reduce indecision as you mention the robbers and being stuck in the mud, but essentially, i'm just approaching it from a curious place, and i'm going to relax about everything else. Not worrying about money and jobs, just noticing the tides and dipping in where it's appropriate.​
I'm actually only searching for some kind of part time entry level position because i would like to develop my own talents in my spare time and explore what i enjoy, to make my own way in the future, but i think even on getting a job at that level i was told to Wait!​
Anyway that was a great interpretation, it was also useful to see Waiting as not taking any kind of action in the direction of a particular endeavor as much as worry can make us want to!​

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).