...life can be translucent

Menu

What can be done 33 unchanging

B

becalm

I'm in a dual occupancy rental and unfortunately the other house being rented seems to attract troublemakers. Recently the landlords, who usually live on an adjoining property, went overseas until February next year. They decided to rent the dual property next to me as airbnb and this last lot were dreadful going as far as running the streets at night doing graffiti - the police are helpless in this situation to remove these holiday makers and I've ended up with a migraine (I also have chronic PTSD with no chance of recovery) as well as high anxiety. The other neighbours are quite distressed and feeling unsafe as usually we are a community that has no need to lock our doors which I appreciate is very rare in this day and age. The Landlords are doing nothing and actually granted these people another night to stay.What action can I take to prevent this situation from occurring again over the next couple of months.Hex 33 unchangingObviously it looks like I should just move out myself but I unfortunately don't have anywhere to go - I've lived here for over 12 months a part of my PTSD recuperation process....

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
Becalm
This sounds like a very difficult time for you that is impacting the nature and the saftety of where you live.

Hex 33 in my world is not really about moving out but more about moving in. Move into a space within yourself where you can find a greater sense of safety. Find ways in which you can nourish yourself and build a greater sense of wellbeing around you. Consider what attitudes and approaches you may be able to change to make the situation more acceptable and what practicle things you can do to make things less troublesome.

This is a time of hunkering down, staying small and as much as you can let things pass over and pass by you. Be flexible, the less you can engage with thoughts, feelings and actions towards the situation the better it will be for you.

Good Luck

B

becalm

my_key thanks a lot, your posts are always so succinct. What you've said is in keeping with my own thoughts after I sat with this reading for a while. I'd been thinking it's a good way to start learning and, hopefully overcoming, the way things impact me which is not all that easy when you have PTSD. My psychologist had advised the best way to manage it is to avoid situations that trigger it but that's not always easy of course. Recently I had a neighbours friend do something that in itself was harmless but might not have been if I hadn't 'seen the signs' of what it could be. At the time I was more annoyed than anything with his behaviour but the following night I had nightmares and woke up calling out from my sleep. That was a moment when I realised how much small things can still affect someone with PTSD.

B

becalm

Just as an aside "and what practicle things you can do to make things less troublesome" I did start up my sander early with some awful Christmas carols playing :) - is that what you meant ;-P

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
PTSD recovery really begins from the moment you begin to feel safe. It can be a case of two steps forward one step back or two steps back one forward. Sander and Christmas carols probably come in the category of two steps back. Maintaining your focus on distancing yourself from the chaos will bring dividends - look for small victories.

B

becalm

Thanks my_key, yes I'd finally gotten myself to feel settled and safe (most of the time) but this incident made me feel like all my work was for nought. The sanding does actually make me feel better because it's part of the creative work I do and has helped in my recovery but I understand using it for the purpose of 'revenge' is not the right basis, however a small victory came with it and some of the kids then understood the impact of their noise.This reading and your responses has helped me immensely in understand what I need to do in trying to maintain a calm heart through these type of situations. I'm not sure if PTSD sufferers ever recover fully.

D

diamanda

I'm not sure if PTSD sufferers ever recover fully.
No we don't... trauma has a cumulative effect. It's a bit like scars - the more scars you acquire, well, the more scars you have. However, we can always develop new techniques to counter-act them. Adaptation is a very useful human characteristic.

What action can I take to prevent this situation from occurring again over the next couple of months.
Hex 33 unchanging

Escape, but since you said you can't move out, simply stay out of their way. Back off. Don't do anything. Maybe use escapism, such as listen to music through headphones, or get absorbed in a good book (or a glass of wine!).

B

becalm

I have been doing the Hexagram 33 un thing - it's calmed me down sooooo much but I've realised I'm never going to get the Serenity living in this dual occupancy situation. Most nights I have to put White Noise on so I can at least get some sleep.....I don't want to have to do that perpetually. Will see what 2019 brings : - )

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).